Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taurine - latest update

Posted by Jackie 
Taurine - latest update
August 05, 2015 06:36PM
In light of my recent complaint about memory issues, this is timely:

Regarding brain function, the Sept. 2015 issue of Life Extension Magazine contains a report stating that Taurine Grows New Brain Cells and includes 79 study references. This should be good news for those who follow the nutritional support recommendation for helping to reverse Afib… called the Essential Trio… (magnesium, potassium and taurine).

Here’s the summary from the LEF 2015 report:

Taurine, a little-known amino acid, can do the seemingly impossible: stimulate new brain cells to grow in adult brains. This capability creates an entirely new paradigm for the ways we think about age-related cognitive decline and even major neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.

Taurine levels fall as we age, leaving our brains relatively unprotected. Taurine levels are low in people with age-related brain disorders. Animal studies reveal that supplementation can not only restore youthful taurine levels, but also improves deficits in memory and cognition.

Taurine also has a fundamental connection with longevity, particularly related to cardiovascular disorders. Animal studies demonstrate protection against heart disease with taurine supplementation, and human studies show that supplementation produces dramatic improvements in heart and blood vessel function.

People with metabolic syndrome have lower taurine levels than their healthy peers; again, taurine supplementation drives down the detrimental effects of metabolic syndrome while inducing changes that reduce the syndrome’s long-term impact on cardiovascular risk.

A balanced supplement program should aim at restoring youthful levels of nutrients known to counteract the chemical stresses, inflammatory changes, and toxic exposures we experience through life. The evidence for the amino acid taurine suggests that it be included in such a regimen. [www.lifeextension.com]

History about taurine here on this forum:

Some years ago, a collection of reports on the importance of Taurine was published here… These are the links.

The first post… What About Taurine? Gives dosage recommendations. Once there, be sure to read this clip

A CONTEMPORARY REVIEW OF THERAPEUTIC BENEFITS OF THE AMINO ACID TAURINE” …..
by Richard Smayda, D.O. (An excerpt from the “Heart” Subtitle)

Jackie

Taurine posts - Deja vu
April 30, 2010
[www.afibbers.org]

The original post.... "What About Taurine" seems not to be available on the old BB which is now inactive. Taurine is part of the Essential Trio and is found to be very useful. I'm reposting the original and several other links posted along the way as updates

Other posts on taurine

More on benefits of taurine June 21, 2008
[www.afibbers.org]

Taurine helps with Afib
[www.afibbers.org]

Abstract from one of the references in the LEF 2015 report:

J Biomed Sci. 2010 Aug 24;17 Suppl 1confused smiley2. doi: 10.1186/1423-0127-17-S1-S2.
Physiological roles of taurine in heart and muscle.
Schaffer SW1, Jong CJ, Ramila KC, Azuma J.

Abstract
Taurine (aminoethane sulfonic acid) is an ubiquitous compound, found in very high concentrations in heart and muscle. Although taurine is classified as an amino acid, it does not participate in peptide bond formation. Nonetheless, the amino group of taurine is involved in a number of important conjugation reactions as well as in the scavenging of hypochlorous acid. Because taurine is a fairly inert compound, it is an ideal modulator of basic processes, such as osmotic pressure, cation homeostasis, enzyme activity, receptor regulation, cell development and cell signalling.

The present review discusses several physiological functions of taurine.

First, the observation that taurine depletion leads to the development of a cardiomyopathy indicates a role for taurine in the maintenance of normal contractile function. Evidence is provided that this function of taurine is mediated by changes in the activity of key Ca2+ transporters and the modulation Ca2+ sensitivity of the myofibrils.

Second, in some species, taurine is an established osmoregulator, however, in mammalian heart the osmoregulatory function of taurine has recently been questioned.

Third, taurine functions as an indirect regulator of oxidative stress. Although this action of taurine has been widely discussed, its mechanism of action is unclear. A potential mechanism for the antioxidant activity of taurine is discussed.

Fourth, taurine stabilizes membranes through direct interactions with phospholipids. However, its inhibition of the enzyme, phospholipid N-methyltransferase, alters the phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylethanolamine content of membranes, which in turn affects the function of key proteins within the membrane.

Finally, taurine serves as a modulator of protein kinases and phosphatases within the cardiomyocyte. The mechanism of this action has not been studied. Taurine is a chemically simple compound, but it has profound effects on cells. This has led to the suggestion that taurine is an essential or semi-essential nutrient for many mammals.

PMID: 20804594 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMCID: PMC2994395 [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Re: Taurine - latest update
August 06, 2015 09:05AM
Of interest to those who have higher heart rate post ablation... there is a notation in this collection that indicates:

Taurine - Dr. Huston (1)

“Taurine is an amino acid that the body doesn’t use to make protein.
Instead, it circulates freely throughout the brain, retina and heart muscle.

Studies have shown that taurine can lower both blood pressure and heart rate while decreasing irregular heart rhythms and the symptoms of congestive heart failure.

Jackie
Sam
August 06, 2015 10:34AM
Thanks. Jackie.

This, like many posts, is a reminder to those us with low blood pressure and pulse that many of the supplements that help most people are a problem for us e.g. Taurine, Potassium and Magnesium.

Any thoughts of a solution for us?

Sam
August 06, 2015 11:20AM
Sam - how low is low for you?

Jackie
Anonymous User
August 06, 2015 03:11PM
Thank you Jackie for providing essential science to this forum. You cite Dr. Richard Smayda DO who is co-author of The Healing Nutrients Within by Eric Braverman MD, Carl Pfeiffer MD PhD, Ken Blum PhD.

This was a critically important study book when first published in '87 and remains so today, now in its 3rd edition. [www.amazon.com]

Chapter 8 Taurine: The Seizure Fighter has this excerpt:

The Heart

Taurine is the most important and abundant free amino acid in the heart, surpassing the combined total of all other amino acids. It modulates the activity of important enzymes in heart muscle and contributes to the muscle’s contractility. Taurine also plays a role in the metabolism of calcium in the heart and may affect the entry of calcium into the heart muscle where it is essential in the generation and transmission of nerve impulses.
Sam
August 08, 2015 10:08AM
Jackie, this was designed as a general question for all who have Hypotension and/or bradycardia or are borderline. I think there must be a number of us on the Forum.

I'm borderline from using magnesium, potassium and taurine & have to stop both potassium and taurine at times. Since these three are so important (and others come into the same 'lowering' category e.g. fish oils) the question is whether there are other measures that can be used to increase blood pressure and pulse which are not detrimental.
August 08, 2015 11:39AM
Sam - Low blood pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing. Certainly better to be on the low side of the range than the high side...that's why I asked what your "low" is by comparison.

Sometimes it's as simplistic as making sure there is enough requisite sodium for proper functions. Although sodium is regarded as "the enemy"... it is an essential nutrient. The sodium precaution exists because the majority of people who eat processed, packaged, restaurant food typically consume far more sodium than the body's basic requirement and then have the opposite effect which can be the hypertension, etc. Total salt/sodium avoidance is not a good thing, either.
As covered in CR 72, the important point is the potassium:sodium ratio that's the crucial issue not often emphasized by our physicians.

However, the other huge factor is the low-voltage issue discussed in numerous other previous posts relating to the importance of Alkalinity or alkaline pH and how that relates to energy production or voltage. Diets high in electron stealers help propel the body toward malfunctions because electrons are required to make new cells which are obviously the key to maintaining health and longevity. This is another critical area typically not emphasized by physicians.

Jackie
August 09, 2015 09:31AM
Sam - I neglected to mention with overly low blood pressure, consider low cortisol levels and low adrenal function. Once that is corrected, the magnesium, potassium and taurine should be well-tolerated and beneficial.

Jackie
Sam
August 12, 2015 07:53AM
Thanks. Jackie. I looked into low cortisol and adrenal function before but I'll check again.

Early Monday morning I had my first episode for almost 6 months. It followed a pattern that I've had quite a number of times. I woke with pacs & with a low pulse - a little under 60 - and I find this is always accompanied by low blood pressure - 90/60 or lower.

The pacs gradually increase in number and will progress to Afib unless I do a little exercise Just moving my legs around in the bed is enough the stop the pacs but the only for about 10 minutes before I have exercise again. The solution to this I found to be stopping potassium and taurine for a time which raises my pulse and blood pressure a bit and I have no more problems for quite a while.

Unfortunately I went back to sleep Monday morning (it was 1.00 a.m.) and woke up in half an hour with Afib.

It reverted 35 hours later while in hospital awaiting a cardioversion.

I have again stopped potassium and taurine for a while.
August 12, 2015 08:23AM
Okay, Sam and yes - that's the low vagal tone and the involvement of the HPA... ...so working on the adrenal issue is the key which will help normalize Heart Rate Variability.

Here's one report out of many: [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I had that problem when I had adrenal burnout and it was difficult to get out of the low vagal tone in late evening and through the sleeping hours. Getting out of bed and exercising works, but it's an odd thing to do in the middle of the night and then expect to get back to sleep. Once my adrenals were functioning better, that low vagal tone was less of an issue for me.

Jackie
Sam
August 13, 2015 10:50AM
Jackie, I've used Search but can't find your supplement regime for Adrenal support. I know you've posted it before so Could you direct me to it?

Thanks

Sam

August 19, 2015 10:17AM
Sorry San - I missed your post and question. I don't believe I posted a protocol.

Initially, I was tested and then directed to various supplements that help support adrenals. Started with one product from Metagenics and eventually changed to Designs for Health called Adrenotone along with adding Ashwaganda separately and one capsule of the adrenal glandular support called Adrenal Complex. If you go to Rockwell Nutrition and type in those products, you can see the nutritional ingredient list. That's what I've used for a very long time that keeps my cortisol levels appropriate. [www.rockwellnutrition.com]

The Ashwaganda is from Planetary Herbals because of their reputation for purity.

Jackie
Sam
August 20, 2015 10:53AM
Thanks, Jackie.

Sam
August 20, 2015 01:47PM
Sam:

Have you tried an anti-vagolitic herb like Ginger? That temporarily raises pulse.
Sam
August 22, 2015 10:13AM
I have tried ginger, It causes nausea.

Sam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login