Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AFIBBERS FORUM

A forum for sharing experiences regarding atrial fibrillation and other atrial tachy-arrhythmias. 

July 25, 2007 11:16AM
I’m working with a person on natural therapies for hypertension and thought I’d include these clips from the notes I was using on supplementing with magnesium, potassium and taurine since they are of interest to afibbers as well.

Jackie

Sources:
(1) "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Hypertension" (2003) - Mark Houston, MD. Dr. Houston is an associate clinical profession of medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and director of Hypertension Institute and Vascular Biology, Saint Thomas Medical Group, St. Thomas Hospital. He is also a nutritionally-oriented, functional-medicine-type physician.

(2) "High Blood Pressure Solutions – Natural Prevention and Cure with the K factor" (1993) – Richard D. Moore, MD, PhD. Dr. Moore is a retired college biophysics professor. He was a professor of biophysics at the State Univ. of New York in Plattsburg and was active in the field of biomedical research for 25 years. He lives in California.

Potassium, magnesium - Dr. Moore(2)

Besides making hypertension worse, hypokalemia (low potassium levels) can decrease glomerular filtration rate, decrease renal concentrating ability, increase sodium reabsorption, increase ammoniagenesis and cause glucose intolerance.

Although the extent of the danger is debated, there is considerable evidence that hypokalemia can cause arrhythmia. In fact, the biophysics of potassium in the cell clearly tells us that hypokalemia would cause some abnormality in membrane voltage and thus make cardiac cells more prone to an abnormality in rhythm.

An increased risk for cardiac irregularities has been correlated with decreases in serum potassium levels of greater than 0.6Eq/L (Diuretic induced ventricular ectopic activity. Am J. Med 70:762-768 (1981)

Because the activity of the membrane sodium-potassium pump depends on potassium, hypokalemia is especially dangerous under conditions in which this pump has already been slowed, as in digitalis therapy or hypoinsulinemia.

One of the reasons why digitalis can be dangerous is that it can drop plasma potassium and bring on cardiac arrhythmia.

Diabetics have a decreased activity of sodium-potassium pumps and is almost certainly the reason for decreased ability of diabetics to prevent hyperkalemia.

Aldosterone can also cause kidneys to excrete more potassium. A high blood level of aldosterone leads not only to retention of sodium and to loss of potassium, but also to elevated blood pressure – one more piece of evidence that excess sodium or too little potassium can cause hypertension.

Lowered levels of plasma potassium and magnesium, predispose people to potentially severe irregularity of the heart beat including ventricular ectopic beats and also sudden death.

Magnesium loss increases the tendency of the body to lose potassium and supplementation is sometimes required in order to enable the body to replenish its store so potassium. In cases of patients with hypomagnesemia, attempts to correct hypokalemia are ineffective until normal levels of magnesium are restored. (Management of hypertension and cardiovascular risk. Am. J. Med. 90(suppl 2A):2S-6S (1991)

Insulin is the post potent hormone for extra-renal potassium regulation. When body potassium is replenished, the ability to handle potassium load without spiking plasma potassium is greatly improved. This is known as potassium tolerance. Conversely, if a person is deficient in body potassium, the ability to handle a potassium load is compromised. So potassium deficiency presents a delicate problem. The potassium needs to be restored, but not too fast.

Acceptable serum potassium levels:

Serum potassium levels of 4.0 or less and especially if it is below the ‘accepted’ lower limit of 3.5, it is necessary to recheck the levels every two or three weeks until at least two successive readings are between 4.0 and 5.0 mEq/L

Between 4.0 and 5.0 – check twice a monthly intervals.

From Dr. Houston (1)

Potassium acts like a natural diuretic, helping here body to excrete excessive amounts of sodium along with the fluid that sodium draws. Without enough potassium, many people will retain water which increases their blood volume and in turn, pushes up their blood pressure.

Optimize Magnesium - Studies show the more magnesium people take in, the lower their blood pressure. Magnesium helps to regulate the amount of calcium, sodium and potassium inside the cells and all play a key role in blood pressure levels.

Low magnesium will cause low potassium, so until the missing magnesium is replaced, taking potassium alone will not increase blood potassium levels.

Watch alcohol intake - alcohol can block absorption of key nutrients. Several vitamin10s and minerals are poorly absorbed due to alcohol ingestion, including magnesium and zinc – both important for blood pressure control. Additionally, alcohol stimulates the release of cortisol which promotes both sodium retention and potassium loss. That pushes blood pressure up.

Taurine - Dr. Huston (1)

“Taurine is an amino acid that the bodydoesn’t use to make protein.
Instead, it circulates freely throughout the brain, retina and heart muscle.
Studies have shown that taurine can lower both blood pressure and heart rate while decreasing irregular heart rhythms and the symptoms of congestive heart failure.

In a study of 19 people with hypertension, giving 6 grams of taurine per day for 7 days reduced the systolic blood pressure by 9 mm Hg and the diastolic by 4.1 Hg.

He also says:

In heart cells, taurine represents about 50% of the free amino acids and has a role of osmoregulator and has been used to treat hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, arrhythmias, atherosclerosis, CHF and other cardiovascular conditions.

Animal studies have shown consistent and significant reductions in Bp. Taurine inhibited the alcohol-induced hypertension by reducing acetyladehyde and changing membrane cation handling.

Taurine lowers BP and HR, decreases arrhythmias, CHF symptoms, Sympathetic nervous system activity, increases urinary sodium, decreases aldosterone, plasma norepinephrine and plasma and urinary epinephrine.

This diuretic effect is seen in normal subjects as well as hypertensive and cirrhotics with ascites.

In doses of 6 grams/day for 2 weeks in 22 healthy, normotensive male volunteers, taurine reduced SNS (sympathetic nervous system) activity, urinary epinephrine, total cholesterol and LDL, but increased Total Good, while Bp and BMI did not change significantly.

The mechanisms by which taurine exerts its cardiovascular and antihypertensive effects include diuresis and urinary sodium loss, vasodilation, reduced homocysteine, improved glucose and insulin sensitivity, increased sodium space, reduced SNS activity, and opiate-mediated vasodepressor response, increased renal kallikrein, reduced PRA and aldosterone, and a glcyine-mediated CNS response with decreases in both BP and HR.

Concomitant use of enalapril with taurine provide additive reductions in Bp, LVH, arrhythmias, and platelet aggregation.

The recommended dose of taurine is 2 to 3 grams a day at which no adverse effects are noted but higher doses may be needed to reduce BP significantly.

jean brassell

July 25, 2007 12:43PM
Jackie,

Thanks for this post. My potassium level has always been at 3.5 until last week when I had blood work done and it was 4.0. I have been taking magnesium for three months and have not yet started potassium supplements. For some reason, my doctor has never ordered a test on my magnesium levels, so I don't know how low my levels might have been, but since my potassium levels have increased and I have not yet started potassium supplements, I have to assume my mg levels were low based on my interpretation of this post. So, I believe I am living proof of what Dr. Huston said that "low magnesium will cause low potassium."

It's amazing how much more I can learn from you and others on this board than I can learn from my doctors.

By the way, I am now tolerating Taurine and am up to 1500 mg a day.

Thanks for all your help,

Jean

Doug L.

July 25, 2007 12:48PM

Jackie..

Thanks I found this writing quite helpfull and convincing... I have increased my Taurine by 1 gr. now on 3 gr per day.. and the best! no down sides.. Very good! and thanks for keeping many of us informed .
PeggyM

July 25, 2007 09:06PM
Jean and Doug, what effect is this having on your afib episodes?
PeggyM
Wade

July 25, 2007 09:24PM
When you say you're taking 3 grams of Taurine, how many mg is that?

Thanks!

Wade
PeggyM

July 25, 2007 10:11PM
Hello, Wade. 1000 mg = 1 gram.
Sue Bowden

July 25, 2007 11:02PM
Thanks for this Jackie. I have been on my 4gr a day of Taurine now for almost 2 years and I have noticed that my blood pressure - which was in the normal range - is now even lower and doesn't seem to fluctuate much at all. I think that in addition to no AF, this was one of the things that convinced my cardiologist to let me stop taking the Warfarin so its yet another benefit of Taurine ! Its been magic stuff for me.
Sharon Glass

July 25, 2007 11:38PM
Do you think it is necessary to increase Taurine if you eat a lot of poultry? Chicken and fish are about the only meat I eat. I am currently 500 mg X 2 times a day. I feel so good and sleep like a baby every night. How does one know if they need more? I don't think there is a test to see if youare Taurine deficient...is there? Sharon

July 26, 2007 12:35AM
Sharon - there is an amino acid level test that shows AA's and would include taurine.

Read here: [www.pathmed.com]

[www.nlm.nih.gov]

I think as long as you feel well, have no afib, and take some taurine - don't rock the boat. If for some reason things change, then you can always try increasing the taurine. It's a very innocuous amino acid.

Jackie

July 26, 2007 12:41AM
Thanks, Jean. If you get curious, you can request that your doctor order a red blood cell magnesium test. It's a standard test. That will tell you intracellular levels of magnesium. Serum magnesium is not reflective of what's inside the cell. Serum potassium usually reflects about what the intracellular levels are, but the purists would say it's better to have both the intracellular magnesium and potassium levels evaluated.

You can read more about intracellular testing at <www.exatest.com>

It used to cost $175 and Medicare would pay for it. It's been a few years since I had mine, so undoubtedly the fee has increased. (You have to have your doctor order the test - they can do the sub-lingual scraping (under- the-tongue cells) and send back.

Jackie
PeggyM

July 26, 2007 01:01AM
Sharon, the only thing i can contribute on 'how much taurine is enough' is that i once discovered by accident how much is too little taurine for me personally, by reducing my intake from 4 g/day to 2 g/day, and then eating at the Colonel's notorious greasy food emporium [and it was chicken, too!] and getting an afib episode out of it. Can't say what that could mean for anybody's intake but mine, though. What i can say is that, having gone back to the 4 g/day dose ever since, the other evening i ate a chicken thigh out of there without any biscuit or colesaw or anything else, and had not so much as a bobble from sweet NSR. This is not at all conclusive, i know. The meal i got the episode from included 2 chicken thighs, 2 biscuits, and some of that oversweetened coleslaw. Plenty of wheat [which i am sensitive to], plenty of high glycemic load stuff [sugar, white flour], plenty of salt, and plenty of msg. And plenty of hydrogenated fat too. To really test whether that much taurine will keep me out of afib under those same circumstances i would have to consume that same meal, and i am not willing to do that.
PeggyM

Aw Peggy, come on, just for the sake of science!

George
Bobbie Jo

July 26, 2007 02:29AM
Dear Jackie,

Thanks to this website, I started taking mag, taurine and potassium in May. Since then, I have had tiny little rumblings which feel like they will end up being episodes, but do not. Those have all but quit. Before that, I had been experiencing a variety of events which could last up to 6 hours.

I have had really only 1 short episode of Af since May, which lasted about an hour and I had golfed that day in very high heat, walked and carried my bag. It started after the evening meal. I downed my evening dose of supplements and it was gone.

For others out there, I am a 55 year old female with lone Afib which I believe is mostly vagal. I was on 25 mg of Toprol XL
but stopped. My EP said I could experiment, but was not totally convinced I should. He's not sure what to say now. I sense a little hesitance on his part, but at least he is willing to go along with me for now. Of course, he says "this too shall pass." Perhaps, but for now I'm watching what I eat, exercising and taking my supplements.

None of this would have been possible if I hadn't lurked around this website, purchased Han's book and gotten help from all those here who have so much knowledge to share. I appreciate the help and will continue to educated myself.

Thanks. Bobbie Jo
PeggyM

July 26, 2007 04:30AM
Bobbie Jo, did i understand you right that you have had exactly one short episode since May? 2 months going on 3 now? You sound like List material to me based on that. For the sake of any newbies who may read this and want to do likewise, please will you give brand name, dosage, and timing for whatever supplements you are taking? Also, when did you discontinue the small dose of Toprol? And could you also tell what you are doing differently in regard to diet?
PeggyM

July 26, 2007 05:09AM
Bobbie Joe - thanks for your report.

Remember to hydrate well before, during and after golfing.... especially if you are perspiring. Some time back, I mentioned a very handy packet of electrolytes to take on the golf course or anywhere just to have to add to water as a replenisher. Very portable. You can carry several easily. Costs under $10 for 36 packets.

It's called EmerGenC by Alacer. I found them life-savers on the golf course especially in the brutally hot summer. It's a little packet that you add to water and it fizzes. Very refreshing and a great way to get electrolytes in quickly.

I used the Packet labeled Instant Lemon-Lime High Potassium and it saved me many a time from afib on the golf course.

Just be sure to read the labels to make sure you don't get the product that has any artificial sweetener. The fructose isn't great, but it is not nearly as harmful as something like Splenda or Nutrasweet - (aspartame or sucralose.

[www.alacer.com]

You can order them thru iherb - here at Hans web site(above).

Jackie
jean brassell

July 26, 2007 05:31AM
Peggy,

You asked "Jean and Doug, what effect is this having on your afib episodes?"

It is difficult for me to say what the effect is yet. The last full blown episode I had was on the 28th of February which lasted 4 hours. In April, I had an episode that came and went for 9 hours (I would be in AF for an hour or two, convert to NSR for awhile, and go back into AF). I started the MG on the first of May, had two episodes during May that lasted less than a minute each. In June, I had 4 episodes that lasted less than a minute each and in July I have had 2 episodes that lasted less than a minute each. I stared the Taurine on the 6th of July and both of the July episodes were after I started the Taurine.

So, I guess if I had to identify the effect of the supplements on my AF, I would have to say they have helped in shortening the length of the episodes, not necessarily the frequency. I am on Sotalol, so that makes the evaluation difficult for me.

Sorry I can't answer the question more definitively,

Jean

PeggyM

July 26, 2007 10:48AM
Jean, will you tell me what potassium and magnesium supplements you are taking, what form [Mg glycinate? Mg oxide? Potassium chloride, potassium gluconate?], what dosage, what brand name, how often? Also, what would be a typical day's diet for you?

Are you familiar with The List? This is an informal attempt to keep track of posts from people who have gotten rid of their afib episodes altogether by means other than heart drugs and surgical procedures. To read posts in The List, use the search function here on Hans' excellent website. Search in subject line only, unchecking all else. Type in The List as a search term. The good people who have made these reports here have done so in the hope of helping other afibbers to do likewise, and they will be glad to answer any more questions you may have. The List makes very interesting reading. I hope you find something there that looks to you like you can do that too.

PeggyM
Doug L.

July 26, 2007 01:13PM

Peggy... I am totally please so far... I have been on 3000 mg Taurine
also using Mag. from I-herb and Prescript. on Potassium. CQ-10
150 mg. from Puritan... I must say it has made a difference in
my A-Fibs... no doubt. It has been approx. 4 months on the
suppliments. (I also take Sotalol) My average on Afibs
were once a month lasting about 1 1/2 hrs. But now I feel
great in the mean times.. Still keeping records..
Doug L.

July 26, 2007 01:30PM

Peggy.. I suppose a little more in the form of details of my meds for your records..

Sotalol.... 180 mg taken a 2 different times p/day
Klor-Con... Prescription Potass. M-20 one p/day
Mag......... High Absorption from I-herb 200 mg. two times day (400)
CQ-10...... 50 mg. 3 times day (150 total)
Fish Oil..... 6250 mg. Rescue 1250 brand ( 5 gels p/day)
Taurine..... 3000 mg. I-Herb (3tabs)

No Sodas, Attempt to avoid Msg. 8 glasses of water min. No wine or alcohol. Basic low fat diet. 62 yrs. age
jean brassell

July 26, 2007 01:32PM
Peggy,

Yes, I have browsed the list several times and started supplementing the first of May, a few weeks after I found this board. I am ordering Doctor's Best magnesium glycinate 200 mg 2X a day and Source Naturals Taurine Powder from Hans favorite supplement site (IHerb).

I have not yet started potassium supplements.

I am working on slowly increasing my doses of mg and Taurine. When I start supplementing potassium, it will probably only be in small amounts since I only have blood work done annually. I have just had my blood work done, and as I mentioned earlier, just by taking mg for the past 3 months, my potassium level has already risen from 3.5 to 4.0. Who knows, when I get mg supplements up to 800 mg a day, I may not need potassium supplements at this rate of increase from magnesium alone.

I have tried several times to eliminate gluten from my diet, but don't yet have the willpower needed. I seem to do ok for 2 or 3 days, and then when I am around bread products and see others indulge, I give in to the temptation. Like yesterday, I went to lunch with a group to O'Charley's and had made up my mind before I went that I would not eat any of their rolls. But, after about 5 minutes of watching everyone beside me and across from me chowing down on those rolls, I finally had (no, not one, but 2) of what I had promised myself that I would not partake of. So, this is going to be a lengthy painful process for me.

As for my diet, I have fruit for breakfast, banana, strawberries, peaches, cantaloupe, or blueberries (not all three at the same time - I alternate). For lunch, I have a small portion of meat; chicken, roast, pork chop, meatloaf, or fish, and vegetables, and sweet potatoes 3 or 4 times a week. About once a month I have a hamburger or steak. Quite often, I have leftovers from lunch for my supper (notice I said supper, not dinner, I only call it dinner if I go out - a southern thing) If I don't eat leftovers for supper, I will eat a piece of fruit, depending on how hungry I am. I used to reserve this time for my dessert, cake, pie or ice cream, but am trying to change that. Around 9:00 or 9:30, I eat a few nuts; almonds, pecans, walnuts or brazil nuts. Right now, it is brazil nuts and I eat 4 of those. When this bag is gone, I will buy one of the other nuts mentioned. The problem with my diet is I am not getting enough calcium. I have tried to supplement with calcium, but it feels like fire in my stomach after about 30 minutes, so haven't yet figured out what to do about the calcium. I have never drank milk, but used to use a small amount on cereal. Since I am trying to reduce gluten, I no longer eat cereal. I also used to eat a container of yoghurt at breakfast for calcium, but since I have been trying to change my diet, I decided that was too much dairy. Any suggestions on calcium? I do eat canned salmon periodically, but don't like sardines.

I think I have answered all your questions.

Thanks for your interest,

Jean

Sharon Glass

July 26, 2007 11:59PM
Jean, you might do a google search on Vitamin D, I have read some real good stuff about it improving bone loss and that most people are deficient in D. You may want to search the BB also as I believe it has been discussed on one of the boards, don't know which one. I am taking D every day now for my bones. I have Ostepenea and plan to get my yearly bone scan soon, hope that it will show a change for the better or at least no more bone loss. Sharon
Bobbie Jo

July 29, 2007 01:29PM
Dear Peggy M. and Jackie,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I have been away. In fact, I spent three days working like a dog in the hot sun from dawn til dusk at a horse show. I hauled hay, water, and you-know-what and not a peep out of my heart.

Jackie, I have been working on staying hydrated and now plan ahead and keep plenty in my golf bag. I will buy those items you mentioned above on my next shopping trip at Iherb.

I have been totally off the toprol for a month, now.

I'll give my supplements here, but please note I intend to purchase them from Han's website next time. I ventured in to the local supplement store in my haste to try these out. I now realize that I need to up the quality.

TruNature

Bobbie Jo

July 29, 2007 01:31PM
Opps, looks like I got cut off. I shall return later with a full reply. I had one, but it appears not to have gone through. Sorry. I'll be back when I have time.
PeggyM

July 29, 2007 07:55PM
Jean, sorry it took me so long to see your post and answer it. This computer does not show up the little red "new" signs on new posts, so sometimes i miss things. About getting plenty of calcium in one's diet, the same foods that contain a lot of potassium also contain a lot of calcium. If you go into the Conference Room Proceedings [go to the Conference Room and then click on Proceedings from there] and scan down the list of topics, you will find one titled Afib Friendly Recipes. That session contains 3 separate one day menus, each of which provides 5 grams of K [potassium] from diet alone, no supplements at all, not even low sodium v8.

A big help in finding out what vitamins and minerals one's usual diet may be short of is to use the free nutrient calculator at:

www.fitday.com

If you have any trouble navigating the fitday site there are 2 people posting here now who are real good at helping with that, and real willing to do it. Post at the top and ask for help from Sharon Glass and/or George Newman.

PeggyM
jean brassell

July 30, 2007 02:36AM
Thanks Peggy.

Jean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login