Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ablation: keeping legs straight for 6 hours vs back issues

Posted by apache 
ablation: keeping legs straight for 6 hours vs back issues
August 05, 2015 12:13PM
Generic accounts of afib ablations, such as www.heart.org, often include statements like "You should keep your leg straight for 6 to 8 hours after the doctor or nurse removes the sheath."

However we then read about the unintended consequences... where people keep their legs straight for 6 hours and now have back problems resulting from this prolonged unergonomic position. Every physical therapist knows that keeping one's legs straight while flat on their back puts huge stresses on the lumbar region (unless one is as limber as a teenage gymnast).

I'm wondering if perhaps the "legs straight" directive is misquoted, or misunderstood by the nurse. If the purpose is to prevent bleeding from the catheter insertion sites, wouldn't it be sufficient to "not move" the legs for 6 hours? Meaning that one could put a pillow under their knees (thereby relieving the tension on the lower back)? Wouldn't that accomplish the not-moving-legs goal, without the risk of lumbar trauma?
Re: ablation: keeping legs straight for 6 hours vs back issues
August 05, 2015 03:20PM
Not to worry... you can place a pillow under your knees to relieve the tension in the lower back. I've done this 3 times now just as a precaution and my sensitive lumbar area has not suffered any consequences.

Jackie
Re: ablation: keeping legs straight for 6 hours vs back issues
August 05, 2015 07:55PM
Awesome news, thanks Jackie!

Cheers,
-Ted
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login