Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Passing the torch

Posted by Hans Larsen 
Passing the torch
January 05, 2014 01:50PM
It is now 14 years since the idea of creating a community of lone afibbers dedicated to helping each other deal with “the beast” became a reality. Since then, 129 issues of The AFIB Report have been published and over 120,000 postings asking for and giving advice have appeared on the afibbers.org bulletin board.

It has been an exciting and hugely enjoyable journey shared with thousands of fellow afibbers; however, the time has now come to “pass the torch”. On January 15th I shall be celebrating my 82nd birthday and the principal gift will be my retirement. It was not an easy decision. My choice was to carry on working, or to experience a taste of that phase of life known as “retirement”. I have no idea what it will hold for me, but I know that without making space for new endeavours and experiences, it is unlikely they will happen.

So, over the next couple of weeks, Shannon Dickson, an ex-afibber and long-time contributor to our “community” will take over as Managing Editor of The AFIB Report and moderator of the bulletin boards as well as being responsible for the web sites.

Shannon graduated with honors as a member of Phi Kappa Phi from the University of Hawaii in 1975, and after four years in business with Burroughs Computer Corporation, he founded a successful mechanical engineering firm specializing in alternate energy solutions for large condominiums, hotels, hospitals and industrial facilities in the Hawaiian Islands. The onset of physical issues from the late effects of childhood polio forced Shannon to take an early retirement in 1990 and his company is now a division of Hawaiian Electric Company.

Along with Shannon’s polio-related health issues, atrial fibrillation made an appearance in 1992. This focused much of his effort and research into finding effective integrative methods to augment the best of allopathic medicine in an effort to meet his increasingly challenging health scenario. The results of his dedicated research and investigations led him to a wealth of solid insights and practical knowledge regarding nutrition, supplemental protocols, hormonal therapies, stress management and beneficial life-style choices.

It was in 2003, when Shannon’s afib had progressed to being highly symptomatic, that he discovered The AFIB Report and www.afibbers.org. Since then, Shannon has remained an avid and frequent contributor to the bulletin board assisting many other afibbers in trying to sort their way through the complexities of dealing with this vexing condition.

With Shannon’s technical background, compassion for fellow afibbers, and wealth of knowledge I feel very happy and confident to be passing the torch to him. I am certain that the bulletin boards and conference room under his guidance will continue to flourish as a peaceful oasis where afibbers can find mutual support and trustworthy advice on how best to deal with their condition.

In closing then, I would like to thank you all for your past and future contributions to the bulletin board and conference room – they have helped innumerable fellow afibbers achieve a better quality of life.

Wishing you all the best for 2014 and an afib-free future,
Hans
Re: Passing the torch
January 05, 2014 02:03PM
Hans,

Thank you for the tremendous job and the huge resource you've provided for all of us!! I wish you the very best in retirement! Shannon is an excellent successor and I know I will do all I can to support him in this.

George
January 05, 2014 02:40PM
Thank you, Hans. Enjoy your retirement. You've made an excellent choice in Shannon.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
January 05, 2014 02:42PM
Hans, yes, a very huge thanks for all you've done in launching the website, editing the AFIB Report, masterfully reviewing and integrating a massive amount of research into your benchmark book, Lone Atrial Fibrillation: Towards A Cure, and all your many other contributions.
January 05, 2014 02:51PM
Hans,
Best of Health and Happiness with your retirement .
If it wasn't for your site and Shannon I would still be sitting on the sidelines and in permanent AFIB.
A little bird called me a few weeks back to tell me the Great news!
Excellent passing of the Torch!

Best ,

McHale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 02:52PM by McHale.
January 05, 2014 03:08PM
Thank you too Hans and Judi,

Not only for the confidence and encouragement you both have so generously offered to me along with handing over the care of your baby which has grown, under your dedicated oversight and management, into the most broad-ranged and informative resource for AFIB patients around the world, but for being there for me and so many others through the years helping us all navigate our way to a more stable heart.

And a special thanks for Judi as well, as she has quietly been a big help to Hans, and thus to all of us, behind the scenes with her constant efforts and support of Hans in creating and developing not only The AFIB Report and the websites, but in assisting in publishing all of his books and the fantastic database Hans created and worked long and hard to realize, as well as maintaining the subscription base and communications.

I can only hope to help keep the ball rolling strongly within the well-worn path you both have laid down over the years. Focusing, with the help of each and every contributor that makes this community so special, on encouraging and insuring that The AFIB Report and afibbers.org remains the warm, friendly and deeply informative site where every person's questions and concerns are welcomed and people feel comfortable and supported in their search through the many options and possibilites for not only restoring a quiet heart, but improving overall health and well-being in the process.

It will certainly take me some time to get fully settled in the saddle and up to speed myself, yet we will make an effort to keep things rolling along as is, as seamlessly as possible along the way.

To all you good folks who frequent this site, please keep on with your invaluable support and contributions of your experiences and insights as always, as it is truly all of you who make this website a haven that really does change people's lives for the better.

All the Best, Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 03:15PM by Shannon.
January 05, 2014 04:01PM
Hans,

Words are inadequate to convey the gratitude I feel for your beginning and sustaining this website. Your books, the online data, and the flow of information provided here daily are, literally, a lifesaver. You have surely earned your "retirement", although I have a sneaking suspicion that you will move sideways to another, worthy project!

You are leaving us in good hands, for which we are all very grateful.

I do hope you will check in occasionally?

Blessings,

Louise
January 05, 2014 04:34PM
Hans, thank you so much for all you have created here for us fellow Afibbers. Enjoy your retirement in good health and happy activities! You chose well in Shannon, and I know he will carry on admirably. smiling smiley

Welcome aboard, Shannon. Thank you for taking this job on, so that we can still have this place.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
January 05, 2014 04:37PM
Happy Retirement, Hans!

You and Judi are certainly most deserving of time and freedom to pursue all the pleasurable pursuits that come your way. I’m certainly pleased that Shannon is willing to carry on.

It will be hard to top your 82nd birthday celebration.

Peace and health to you,

Jackie
Dee
January 05, 2014 05:04PM
Hans, thank you for your help through my 3 years of afib. This is where I found my way through
the maze.
Enjoy your retirement, you will be missed.

But I've been reading Shannon's posts and I know he will carry the torch well, a good choice.

Dee
January 05, 2014 05:12PM
Hans, Thank you for helping me take control of my Af. All of the following I learned from this web site. My cardiologist who must have 10000 file folders along the walls of his office credits ME with teaching HIM about using a pip approach to managing Af. Using pip I had about 5 relatively drug free years using flec and metoporol as a pip. Recently when I developed Af after my open heart surgery ( a common occurrence) they wanted to put me on amioderone and digixon. I fought them off and they gave me my preference of flecinide and metoporol. I wasn't arbitrary with them but rather discussed the facts and they saw the merits of my position. Finally having the concept of selecting the best ablationist you can afford drilled into me on this web site led me to dr Natale and a successful ablation. Everything I know about Af and its management and treatment I learned on this web site. I am just an ordinary guy who happens to now have the equivalent of a PHD in the management of my AF. In keeping with your obvious pursuit of excellence you have put Shannon in charge. You are taking care of us even as you walk out the door. All the best Dennis
January 05, 2014 05:31PM
Hans,

Thank you for all your work over the years - this website has been invaluable, and doubtless has been a lifesaver for many (both figuratively and literally). Enjoy your well-deserved retirement and the adventures that will come.

I am happy to hear Shannon will be taking over. Every post I've seen of Shannon's has been courteous, supportive, and bolstered by research.

Best to you.

Doreen
January 05, 2014 05:46PM
I would like to personally say thank you and others that have worked on this site which is an amazing educational and support resource to the community. The site (information and community) and your direct support have been invaluable to me in tackling "the beast".

Words cannot do your support and and the effort you have put in full justice.

Thank you.

Enjoy this milestone in your life and this next chapter your journey.

Robert
January 05, 2014 06:18PM
Hans:

In 2008, after some weeks and months of arrhythmia, I was finally diagnosed with afib in October of that year. Disturbed and perplexed to the point of fearing for my life, I googled the word atrial fibrillation and found your website. I even emailed you, in which you graciously replied with an assurance of sound health and a warm welcome to your bulletin board.
Since then I've read one of your books and have followed regularly the comments of other fellow afibbers on this board. Had it not been for this board, I doubt that I could have found the incredible nutritional advice and most importantly Dr. Natale as an EP for my next, and hopefully last, ablation.
Thank you, Hans. Your dedication has truly helped many.
May you have many more years of retirement and NSR.

Chris
January 05, 2014 06:37PM
Thank you Hans for all you have done for the AF community.
January 05, 2014 07:28PM
Thank you Hans, you changed my life for the better via this forum.
I will never forget what you have done for all of us who have had the fortune to find this site.

Enjoy your retirement -

And thanks again for choosing Shannon as your successor....

Tom
January 05, 2014 08:41PM
Hans:

You will be missed, thank you for creating this site. When I first had AF, it was frightening, I made it worse by being panicky. By finding this site and reading the posts and much of the informative writings that you have complied on AF, calmed me and I started to control my AF rather than AF controlling me, a big Thank you Hans.

Liz
January 05, 2014 09:18PM
Thanks Hans - for everything! You helped me over a very rough spot in my life. If it was not for you and this amazing group on afibbers, I most assuredly would have ended up in the hands of someone far less talented than Professor Jais in Bordeaux! Happy Trails and Best Wishes in your well deserved retirement.
RonB
January 05, 2014 09:23PM
Hans: You've brought many of us out of our dark holes of fear about afib, giving us more information than most cardiologists knew or could share about the disease. Many of us are far healthier today because of your work and sharing.

Shannon is wondeful as well.

Will the monthly International Health Letter be continuing?

Will you be continuing your relationship with IHerb?

I hope you'll still be around at least as a lurker.

Gordon
January 05, 2014 10:37PM
Thank you Hans for making this board happen, and for all your contributions to it. Best wishes for your retirement. Ralph
January 05, 2014 10:50PM
Thank-you so very much for this Site Hans, and all the work you have done, to keep this board open and keeping us informed. It has been a blessing reading all these posts and knowing that I was not alone in this journey. Have a wonderful retirement.
Great to hear that Shannon will be your successor.

Rosemarie
January 05, 2014 11:26PM
Hans - I share in the sentiments of what has already been said here. I too stumbled upon this board almost 10 years ago, and soon found it to be a place I could go where others really understood what I was going through. (How many times have we heard someone ask, "Well what does it FEEL like? It is like some palpitations? Because I get those sometimes too.." ARGH!) On this board, we are, by and large, all in the same boat. However, because you put together such a great site where we can all share our concerns and fears as well as our suggestions and successes, we truly have a tremendous resource and support group that has been invaluable. If it were not for this site, I think many of us - including me - would have had a much harder, and longer struggle. I also found your book on Lone Atrial Fibrillation to be a tremendous resource and comfort - you answered so many questions and enlightened us well beyond anything else I've come across. I read most of it in one day, using my yellow highlighter throughoutsmiling smiley

You have given us all a great gift, THANK YOUsmiling smiley I wish you a wonderful retirement and new chapter in your life.

Very happy to hear that you are passing the torch to Shannon - he's a great guy, incredibly supportive, and very knowledgeable too. I know he will do a great job. Also glad we have people like Jackie and GeorgeN to continue this important work too. What a wealth of knowledge and support!

Best to you Hans ~ Barb
January 06, 2014 02:56AM
This site was a life saver. I had no ideal how to deal with the issue of atrial fibrillation. This site got me through the tuff times. Thanks Hans so very much. The site will be in very good hands with Shannon.
January 06, 2014 04:12AM
Thank you Hans for this site, I don't know where I'd be without it.
All the best for your retirement.

Colin
January 06, 2014 06:45AM
Hans,

As a relatively new afibber and some-one who has only just come across this site in recent times can I just say how thankful and appreciative I am for all your efforts past and present. 

I am sure I speak for all the newbies exposed to AF and gaining access to the forum that the wealth of information and experiences, from yourself and all of the people you have brought together, is not only a major step in aiding fighting the beast but also a great source of comfort.

In handing over the reigns to Shannon along with the regular scribings of both Jackie and GeorgeN to name but a few we really are in the best of hands.

Best wishes for a relaxing and most enjoyable retirement!

Paul
January 06, 2014 10:20AM
Hans,

Words can not express how grateful I am for this forum that you provided. I've managed to control my afib for 8 years thanks to you, and my health has improved in innumerable ways. Thanks you so much, I hope I can positively effect even half as many lives as you have , In the next 32 years ( I'm almost 50) I will try. Thank You again and God Bless,

John
January 06, 2014 10:28AM
Hans, everything has pretty much been said above, but I share the appreciation for everything you have done and also wish you the very, very best in your retirement. And Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you started your post with "passing the torch," so it was immediately obvious the site wouldn't be closing; and thank you to Shannon for taking over. Hans, please DO check in once in awhile and let us know how you and Judi are spending your time. I know we all would love to hear from you!

Louise
January 06, 2014 11:11AM
As many have stated this site has had a tremendous impact on my situation and more importantly my life. Found this site about four years ago in my research efforts on atrial fibrillation and have learned an incredible amount abount this problem from others here. Most importantly, not sure where I would be today as I was adamantly against an ablation until I learned about Andrea Natale on this site and met with him in Austin. Now, almost three years post-ablaltion have been problem and medication free.

Steve
Spring, Tx.
January 06, 2014 11:37AM
Have a great retirement, well earned! I can't tell you how much I have learned through this site, how much I have depended on the people and knowledge to help me in my personal afib battle.

The site has been nothing less than a critical part of my life. Thank you!
Nancy
January 06, 2014 12:02PM
Hans,
I join with all the others to wish you a happy retirement and thank you for this website.

Good luck to you,
Jean
January 06, 2014 12:38PM
Thanks Hans,

You have positively impacted so many lives. May your retirement
be joyful!

Debbie
January 06, 2014 01:10PM
FELLOW AFIBBERS AND EX AFIBBERS

I want to congratulate Hans and Judy and also to express my most profound appreciation for the enormous help that Hans and judy has been to all of us over the last fifteen years, In my case I have no doubt that I would have been in Permanent Afib and on Wafarin for the last twelve years it it were not for the exceptional brilliance of Hans-his Creativity-his tolerance in dealing with thousands of questions--his Passion and Judy to help all of us relentlessly. Even at the expense of their own Quality of Life

I have never come across a couple who are so altruistic in the pursuit of helping their fellow mankind

May I suggest to all who have benefited from HANS selfless work that we individually find a way to express our appreciation in some tangible way -which I personally am doing. We all have his home address.

Regards

Frank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 01:16PM by Frank.
January 06, 2014 01:20PM
Dear Hans,

Thank you for all that you have done over the years to help those of us who have been affected by AF. The condition is challenging in so many ways, and, as has been noted here many times, it is not taken seriously at times by some in the medical profession who don't have much to offer in the way of help. Your research and this site have consistently provided useful and actionable information that counters the fears and mysterious aspects of AF with understanding, compassion and hope. I believe that this model represents a new paradigm in medicine where the collective experience of patients who are empowered with information and thorough interpretations of research can be an active part of their return to health.

I wish you all the best in your retirement, and I commend you for preserving the wonderful legacy you have established here by asking Shannon to assume the responsibilities of Managing Editor of The AFIB Report. I can't imagine a better choice and I expect the site and the community here to continue to help those who find themselves dealing with AF for many years ahead.

All best wishes,

Rob
January 06, 2014 02:04PM
Thanks Han.

Without this community I don't know where I am to deal with the afibb beast.
I am almost two year after the ablation. No medication.

Regards,

BillC
January 06, 2014 03:15PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words of appreciation and your wishes for a happy retirement. Judi and I are quite overwhelmed by your responses and feel very fortunate that we have had the opportunity to touch so many lives in a beneficial way and actually make a difference!!

Hans & Judi

P.S. The publication of IHN (International Health News) will continue as will our online vitamin shop.
January 06, 2014 03:28PM
You deserve time for yourself, Hans, but be assured you will be greatly missed on this board. Because of the Afib forum, I learned about ablations and how to maintain sinus rhythm after having one (or two). After many years of Afib, I am enjoying life in sinus rhythm as a result of the information I read on this wonderful forum. Thank you so very much for giving so freely of your time and expertise. I am also grateful that you are keeping the BB alive and I really hope that you will check in from time to time and let us know how you are doing.

May God bless you and Judi with good health, peace, and prosperity!

Marian from Miami
January 06, 2014 03:57PM
Hans, I wanted to add my heartfelt thank you to you for the countless hours you invested in this website's inception and continued functioning. It has been a lifeline for me. I discovered it after I began this journey in 2000. You have provided so many people a haven to come to for support. The knowledge of the contributors has been impressive to say the least. I will miss knowing you are at the helm but like others are excited you chose Shannon to carry on. He is such a knowledgeable and caring person. The best to you and your wife in whatever you pursue. Lynda
January 06, 2014 05:07PM
Thanks a lot Hans. This site helped a lot and will continue to do so..
January 06, 2014 05:08PM
Hans -- Much appreciate all you've done, and the innumerable folks you've helped through the many years via this forum... without a doubt the supreme site for afibbers.

Beaming you well-wishes for a happiness-filled retirement with your wife, family and friends.

I know when you sit down one afternoon in a quiet place and ponder all the you've accomplished via afibbers.net over a decade and a half for sure your neart will be smiling.

Please stay in touch with us.

Shannon -- Congrats on scoring this fantastic gig!

Have every confidence you're gonna do an exceptional job... and many thanks for accepting the challenge.

/L
January 06, 2014 06:18PM
Hans- Thanks for keeping the torch burning all these years. You have been a great help to all that suffer from AFIB. You have made a great choice in selecting Shannon to carry on your work.

Jim
January 06, 2014 07:28PM
Congratulations Hans, well deserved! I discovered this website about 10 years ago and have used it constantly in my battle against afib. I greatly appreciate all the resources you have made available and for the introduction to I-Herb.

Good luck in your retirement and thanks again.
Jack
January 07, 2014 05:41AM
Hans

I would like to add my thanks to all the rest. I didn't find the forum until after my ablation in Bordeaux in early 2003 but have still benefitted hugely from all the information here. This board is the most sane corner of the mostly insane Internet!

The AFib Report keeps me up to date on the latest research and if ever 'the beast' returns I will be well informed to make the right decisions.

I hope you will post now and then to share your views and to let us know how you are and what you are up to.

Gill
January 07, 2014 01:09PM
I would like to echo everyone's comments and thank you, Hans, for creating this excellent community. All the best to you in your retirement and thanks to Shannon for taking up the reigns...

Phil.
January 07, 2014 04:32PM
Hans,
Your website taught me to think "outside the square" and do the research. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Thanks and good luck.
Dean
January 07, 2014 07:56PM
Hans,

My first afib attack happened in the summer of 1992. In late 2004 after becoming quite desperate, I stumbled across your afibbers site. I remember the day in April of 2005 when you posted that there had been a cancellation in Bordeaux and you where leaving within the next few days. I contacted you before you left and you gave me all of the information I needed including contacts. I followed in your footsteps in Sept. of 2005 which resulted in four glorious years with no afib attacks. I blame myself for the afib returning in 2009, because of my lack of avoiding the common triggers. So here we are in 2014, and I feel like I have turned the corner in a positive way. It's been five months and counting since my last afib attack, and during that time I have had minimal missed beats.
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me a new lease on life. I'll never forget sharing a bottle of Bordeaux wine I brought back for you. Meeting you and Judi for a lovely dinner is one of the highlights of my life. I hope some day during your well deserved retirement that our paths will cross again. It's people like you that make me proud to be Canadian. You have given so much to so many people around the world.

Love to you and Judi

Lou and PatToews
January 07, 2014 09:17PM
Joining the chorus of well wishers here.

Hans, you don't know how much your work and this forum have meant to me. When I had no clue about why I was having these strange irregular heart situations, your forum helped me figure out a course of action and as a result , I got my life and career back. So in as few words as possible, I say thank you for all the brilliant work you do and have done....

And great luck to Shannon in taking over this worthy cause. Many future readers will need what is offered in these forums and other research.
January 08, 2014 10:17AM
Hans,

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my perfectly beating heart, if not for you and this site I too would have been lost back 10 years ago when first diagnosed with AFIB, it was here that I would come and get comfort knowing that other people were going through the same thing I was and that there was light at the end of the tunnel. I probably never would have found the likes of Dr. Natale, for that I am so very thankful. I hope and pray that you have a great retirement and many more years of wonderful health. You couldn't have picked a better Captain for this ship, as I believe we all respect Shannon's knowledge and compassion for all the posters on this site.

God Bless you Hans.

KenH
January 08, 2014 08:45PM
Hans,

This site has been valuable to me over the years as I've sought to learn about Afib and the options available to me. I appreciate the education and support. Best wishes for your retirement and thank-you.

Betty
January 09, 2014 05:22PM
Hans. Thank you for all that you have contributed to our lives and well-being. Wishing you a happy retirement and hoping that you will not be a total stranger to this forum. Warmest regards, always.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
January 09, 2014 08:04PM
Hans,

It was a godsend to find this site and learn about this condition. Because of you and this site, I knew to reject Sotalol and beta-blockers which were offered for my vagal afib. I learned what vagal afib was! (My cardio said there was no such thing.) I learned how to control my afib using supplements and watching for triggers. I got support when I was scared during an episode and encouragement not to give up after a particularly scary episode. When I needed meds, I learned on this site to suggest PIP to my cardio and later to suggest just taking propafenone at night for my vagal afib. All of these things helped me tremendously in the five years that I wrestled with the beast. It is now one year since my ablation with Yaariv Khaykin (your excellent suggestion) and I still turn to this site regularly to keep up with the community here and to continue to learn.

Thank you for all you have done in creating and producing this site, and thank you for finding such a wonderful replacement.

Marg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 08:17AM by Marg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login