Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Passing of my husband...

Posted by tobherd 
Passing of my husband...
November 30, 2013 11:08PM
Hello my Afib friends ~ I wanted to let you know that my husband, Doug, passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning, after a 5 month struggle with lung cancer. I am glad that I was with him when he took his last breath, and thankful that he could be home with us. We had 25 great years together, and 2 terrific children...now ages 22 and 24. While I knew this didn't have a good prognosis, it's still hard when it actually happens.

I am glad I was encouraged to get my ablation in September, because things were already getting harder by then. At least Doug could be with me then, and help me through the recovery. Soon afterwards, it was all about helping him....

As with Afib, we may get knocked down...but we just have to get ourselves back up. Soon....Right now, I don't feel like doing much of anything.

Barb
Re: Passing of my husband...
November 30, 2013 11:34PM
Barb,

So sad to hear this. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
December 01, 2013 12:16AM
What a tremendous burden to go through Barb. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Be gentle to yourself as your heart is still very tender, in more ways than one.
Ron
December 01, 2013 01:05AM
Ah Barb, I'm so sorry to hear of Doug's passing!

You have been a real trooper through all of this and while that is a difficult prognosis, there was some hope he might have more time. Its a blessing he could be at home and pass away in his sleep and most of all that you could be with him.

Can certainly empathize with you Barb and sure its hard to digest regardless of knowing it was likely to happen, just be kind to yourself now too and let others help you with the details as much as possible. I'm really relieved and grateful too that you had your ablation when you did and are doing well. It sounds like that gave you some freedom from having to deal with all the AFIB intrusions too and focus mostly on Doug when he needed you the most too.

Our thoughts and best wishes are with you in these coming weeks Barb.

Take care, Shannon
December 01, 2013 03:56AM
Barb

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. My husband passed away, many years ago now at this time of the year, shortly after our silver wedding anniversary.

I can imagine how you are feeling. I hope you will receive help and comfort in the weeks ahead from your family and friends.
You have been and I am sure will continue to be, a very brave lady.

Siri
Anonymous User
December 01, 2013 04:44AM
O my dear Barb, strength and courage, i lost my husband some years ago and tho he and i did not do so well together, losing him was a shock. You are so fortunate to have had his company and he yours .

PeggyM
December 01, 2013 08:47AM
I am so, so sorry to learn of your husband's passing, Barb. This is such a very difficult time for you,please take care of yourself. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Louise
December 01, 2013 09:28AM
Barb,

I'm very very sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

George
December 01, 2013 09:42AM
Dear Barb,

I'm so sorry to learn of your husband's passing. You have certainly had a lot to deal with in the past few months, but I do think that taking care of yourself as you did by getting an ablation was a very sound decision. Do let your friends and family do what they can to help you in the months ahead and be kind to yourself as you also deal with your grief. It is a process, as I'm sure you are well aware.

I will continue to hold you in my thoughts.

With deepest condolences,

Rob
December 01, 2013 10:58AM
Very Sorry to hear of your husbands passing, Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

John
December 01, 2013 11:07AM
Barb. Very sorry to read about the passing of your husband. He and you will be in our prayers. Dennis
December 01, 2013 11:33AM
Barb:

That is very sad news. I had hoped that your husband would recover. As you say, you had 25 great years together and 2 great children. That is surely something to be thankful for. Hang in there and remember your friends are here for you.

Jim
December 01, 2013 12:31PM
Hi Barb,
So sorry for your loss, I know how tough that type of cancer can be on everyone. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family during this time of sorrow.

McHale
December 01, 2013 01:58PM
Dear Barb:

Our heart-felt condolences go out to you and your family. Thankfully you are no longer dealing with afib!!

Hans & Judi
December 01, 2013 03:33PM
So sorry, Barb.
December 01, 2013 04:58PM
Barb

My heart goes out to you and and your children. Cherish the years you had together, and try to remain strong.

Sincerely

Lou
December 01, 2013 09:05PM
Barb,

Sorry to hear that.

Diane
December 01, 2013 10:12PM
So very sorry to hear of your loss Barb, My sympathies go out to you and your family.

Rosemarie
December 01, 2013 11:53PM
Barb
Condolences to you and loved ones.
Your husband is forever a part of all of us as part of the universe

"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved onesĀ 
shine down to let us know they are happy".
- Unknown Author

Karen
December 02, 2013 08:50AM
Barb, I am praying for you and your family. So thankful he was able to pass on peacefully. My best to you. I am here with any support you may need. Lynda
December 02, 2013 12:29PM
Barb, My heartfelt condolences.
December 02, 2013 03:02PM
Sincere condolences, B.

Please remain connected to your family and friends... including all the folks here... and let us know how you're doing.

/L
December 03, 2013 12:16AM
Thanks so much everyone for your kind words and support. This has indeed been a pretty horrible year...lost our sweet old dog, my much loved Aunt died in the Spring, and then my uncle soon after that, and now Doug. Feeling a bit numb right now...knowing the worst is still to come - but also knowing that there is an end to that too... (I've been a widow once before) I am thankful that Doug no longer struggles.

I haven't been doing very healthy things for a few weeks now, but will try to get back on that after all the services are over. It's pretty clear that without our health, not a whole lot else matters. Glad that Afib does not seem to be an issue for now, anyway.

Thank you all for being "there" for me. I appreciate that - and YOU. ~ Barb
December 03, 2013 12:46PM
Barb:
My most sincere and profound condolences on your lost. Time will dampen the pain. It has been 25 years since I lost my grandparents and I still think of them every day. The pain has gone, but the regrets at not having them there for life cycle events never goes away. One learns to cope with it. And you will do the same sometime. It is what he would have wanted.

I am about to leave to take my dad to the hospital; he is 94 and had surgery to remove a tumour on his ankle two weeks ago. The painkillers have created a nightmare of constipation to the extent that we are seriously worried that he may not survive it. It is difficult dealing with those that we love in their end of life struggles, but we can only do what we can do.

Take solace in knowing that he is at peace now and in a better place. And know that the pain will be tempered by time. You may not feel like doing anything right now but you must do your best to keep up your strength, eat regular meals and drink lots. Again, it is what he would have wanted.

And know that we are all thinking of you and keeping you both in our prayers.

Murray L.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
December 03, 2013 03:39PM
Very sorry for your loss, Barb.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
December 03, 2013 07:15PM
Oh Barb,

I am so sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself.

Doreen
December 03, 2013 11:11PM
Barb,
I am sorry about your loss.
Betty
December 05, 2013 11:21PM
Thank you all again - your support and kind words mean a lot to me.

Murray..I'm sorry to hear about your dad's difficulties right now. You are right - it IS hard seeing our loved ones suffer in any way, but I know you are doing all that you can, and he surely feels your love through all of this.

Best to you all ~ barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login