Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article on CoQ10 - for info

Posted by mwcf 
Article on CoQ10 - for info
February 23, 2013 06:13AM
Appeared in my mailbox this morning. Just for info - I'm not endorsing any of the content.

CoQ10 Cuts Deaths From Heart Disease By More Than 50 per cent
Dear Reader,

A ground-breaking 5-year study published in the International Journal of Cardiology has shown that a daily supplement of CoQ10 cuts the number of deaths from heart disease by more than 50 per cent.

The Swedish researchers led by Professor Urban Alehagen conducted a trial on 443 volunteers aged between 70 and 88. Half the participants took daily supplements of 200mg of CoQ10 together with 200mcg of selenium, while the other half were given a placebo.

After a 5 year follow-up, researchers found that TWICE as many people in the placebo group had died of cardiovascular disease than in the CoQ10 group. What's more, they found that those in the CoQ10 group had significant improvement in heart muscle function.

Read the full report here...

Grow Older 51 Per Cent Slower With This New Form Of CoQ10...

But CoQ10 isn't just good for your heart, it fuels just about every function in your body... and its proven benefits have been confirmed by thousands of research papers over the past 50 years.

In one landmark study, scientists at the Department of Ageing Biology, Shinshu University Graduate School of Medicine, in Japan, studied the anti-ageing effects of the new form of CoQ10 called Ubiquinol, using a special breed of mice that age quickly...

They divided the mice into three groups giving the first group no CoQ10, the second group old-style ubiquinone CoQ10 and the third group the special new Ubiquinol CoQ10.

At nine months, both CoQ10 groups were ageing much slower than the group who didn't get any CoQ10.

Then at ten months – a point that equates to late middle age in humans – the three rates of ageing diverged significantly.

The Ubiquinol mice were ageing 40% slower than the old-style ubiquinone mice… and 51% slower than the group taking none.

Then by 12 months of age the difference was truly remarkable!

The poor old mice which got no CoQ10, were at death's door. They were suffering all the classic signs of human ageing: They couldn't move, or respond to any stimulation… they had eye damage… bent backs, and patchy, discoloured skins.

The group who received old style ubiquinone had begun to experience signs of ageing, but were in much better shape.

Whereas… the Ubiquinol mice looked perfectly normal and healthy. In spite of being old, they showed no signs of ageing.

They had glossy coats and no physical deformities. Plus, they were running around as alert, responsive and energetic as spring lambs!

Re: Article on CoQ10 - for info
February 23, 2013 03:27PM
My experience in using the ubiquinol form versus the standard CoQ was a dramatic difference... as explained in The Strategy Report. I noticed then and still do a remarkable improvement using 300-400 mg daily of Ubiquinol. It's a bit pricey but I'd rather cut back on other things and put the $$ into something that is really effective at providing that energy boost to mitochondrial function..

The Strategy - What Metabolic Cardiology Means to Afibbers
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
February 23, 2013 09:21PM
Any explanation as to why it can trigger afib in some people (me, for one).
Nancy
February 23, 2013 10:25PM
Hi Nancy,
I read somewhere that some persons who are hypothyroidic can have large amounts of CoQ10 in their system naturally. I have sub-clinical hypothyroidism (pretty common) and CoQ10 supplementation (even low doses) will cause PVC's. I don't take it anymore. One of the problems I have with the notion that any supplement is unilaterally worthy of praise.. is that few have been studied thoroughly enough to determine what the full range of effects are for a representative cross-section of our population.

I'm sure CoQ10 is helpful for many, but those studies seem a bit "over the top"...LOL.

Tom
February 24, 2013 11:05AM
Nancy - CoQ10 or the Ubiquinol? I've used both for years-- in the pat 4 - 5 only the Ubiquinol form... with no problem but I choose that by the Kaneka (TM)due to the purity and manufacturing technique. Other than impurity in a less "pure" brand, one explanation might be that while I need the mitochondrial assistance to generate for cellular ATP production....others may not so it's stimulating.... although that's very difficult to imagine since without ATP, we can't survive.... and as we age, we don't convert the CoQ to the ubiquinol form well or easily.

More likely, it could be the material in the capsule itself. One of our former participants who had a severe case of multiple chemical sensitivitiy was unable to take anything in capsule form as the constitutents of the capsule were highly reactive for her. She had to empty or express out the contents. I have mostly overcome my MCS and don't find that capsules are a problem, but you're still detoxing and that might be a reason in your case. Accumulated toxins today are one of the major culprits for various reactions. All of the functional type practitioners are recommended regular use of detox protocols because we are picking up so much in food, air, water, clothing etc.

Jackie
February 24, 2013 12:12PM
Jackie: My functional med doc recommended the Qunol liquid brand of Ubiquinol from Costco. A regular month's supply is $32 but it goes on sale ever other month or so for about $25. Tastes good, too. It also comes in capsules but I suspect we all take more capsules and pills than we really want.

[www.qunol.com]

Gordon
February 24, 2013 01:34PM
Gordon,

The Qunol coenzyme Q10 from Costco is ubiquinone (the oxidized form) not the far more effective ubiquinol (the reduced form) that Jackie is using. Also at $39.95 for a two months supply it is no bargain. Natural Factors has the original Kaneka ubiquinol available in softgels for $29.97 for a two months supply. That would be a much better option. You can find it here [www.afibbers.org]

Hans
February 24, 2013 04:31PM
Hans: Dr. Sinatra, frequently qouted on this Board, prefers Ubiquinone soluable over Ubiquinol.

[www.drsinatra.com]

Also, the Costco regular price for Qunol is $31.95, dropping to $25 when on sale. The Natural Factors is only in softgels, not shown in liquid.

Gordon
February 24, 2013 08:54PM
Ubiquinol CoQ10 goes on sale at pharmacies in the Buffalo area now and again. We have to strike it lucky to get a decent quantity as the shelves are cleared in a flash.

Nontheless, well worth the investment through iHerb. Asides from Potassium, Vit D and C, it is the only supplement that gives me a very noticeable result. I take about 300mg a day.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
February 25, 2013 02:23PM
Murray - I found that I did noticeably better with the Ubiquinol form... apparently as we age, we lose the ability to convert easily the ubiquinone to the ubiquinol form... and using the latter makes it more efficient. I typically use 300 daily... started out using 400. With the mitochondrial damage I sustained years ago from a brief statin use (before I wised up and refused to take), it's essential for me to never be without it.

Jackie
February 25, 2013 03:49PM
Jackie

How long did it take for the tangible benefits of using Ubuiqinol to show up? Did you try a lesser dose first?
Thanks

Afh
February 26, 2013 10:19AM
Gordon... unless Costco or anyother similar wholesale-type store carried the reliable brands such as Natural Factors, I'd not trust it. Once I discovered a huge difference (for me) using the Kaneka Ubiquinol, I decided that while more costly, I'd rather economize in other areas and not skimp with this one because it made such a difference. If I ever have to cut way back on supplements, Ubiquinol will be the one (among sever other essentials) that they'll have to pry out of my hands.

Jackie
February 26, 2013 10:37AM
AFh.... I started with 400 for a month or two, as I recall, and noticed (for me) almost immediate improvement in muscle strength and stamina. Keep in mind that I have the mitochondrial damage from the short use of statin drugs years ago... that left me with weak muscles. I can't even hop on one foot.
So, since the heart is also a muscle, my thought was that since I had begun having AF breakthroughs in year four, post-ablation, then perhaps I needed to get back to the fundamentals of what the heart (and all muscles) need for energy (ATP) production. Initially I used higher doses of the ubiquinone form of CoQ... but after learning more about the efficiency of the Ubiquinol, decided to switch and I've not reverted back to the ubiquinone form. I have cut back to 200-300 daily of Ubiquinol... unless I feel unusually tired or struggle at the gym in my routine workout.. Much depends on my activity level needs... if I notice I get tired too quickly or too often, then I boost the dose again.

I should comment that along with this, I rely on the d-ribose and the other nutrients listed in The Strategy Report. That is my main-stay protocol... but the overall key at this point in time along with The Strategy...is continual mindfulness of the potassium-to-sodium intake at a ratio of 4:1... As I age, I don't eat large quantities of food, so adding potassium supplementally is another essential. If I manage to eat a large amount of potassium-containing foods, then I don't add as much of the supplemental potassium gluconate. Otherwise, I typically add 1000 to 11500 mg potassium daily to all the other core Strategy nutrients.

Hope this helps?

Jackie
February 26, 2013 01:17PM
yes indeed it does help, thanks Jackie
February 26, 2013 05:53PM
Is there any data on ubiquinone (regular CoQ10) being a possible afib trigger in some people? Also I am interested in any information on ubiquinone and how it interacts with anti coagulant therapy, in my case low dose ASA 81mg daily.

I have been taking 300mg of ubiquinone daily for about 10 years for migraine prevention. I can't really say it has helped my migraines but I still take it, but during this time I have developed lone afib and I wonder after reading on this thread that Nancy says it is an afib trigger for her. Is there any documentation that it has this effect on others. I always thought CoQ10 was helpful in heart rhythm control I never thought it could be the reverse.

Being a supplement there is not much in the way of documentation available that I can find. I have also read recently that CoQ10 interacts with warfarin (Coumadin) by reducing the effectiveness of the drug, and this could increase stroke risk and I would assume that it would do the same with ASA. My cardiologist knows that I take CoQ10 but he has never said anything about an interaction, but again with supplements doctors are often not aware of interactions.

The past year my afib events have been quite a bit less frequent than they were previously. I have no idea if my taking up yoga in a casual way has had an impact or not in the frequency reduction. I still get a lot of ectopics. I also get prolonged runs of SVTs that are double my normal resting heart rate of 55. I take Sotol.

I am considering stopping the CoQ10 to see what happens. I remembering stopping for awhile before hearing of ubiquinone as an afib trigger and I don't remember my heart rhythms being any different (ie better).

I am concerned about ubiquinone's effect on asa for stroke prevention in the presence of lone afib. I just saw the cardiologist and he discussed the CHADS2 method for determining anticoagulation and for now ASA is still the route to follow but I don't want it to be diminished and not work properly and increase my risk for stroke.

So if anyone here can shed some light on my questions I would appreciate it.
February 26, 2013 08:50PM
Ubiquinol vs. Ubiquinone

Ubiquinol is predigested

Ubiquinone has to be converted in the body to a usable form.

In general, ubiquinone supplementation may be necessary after age 20, while ubiquinol may not be necessary until after age 40 when the ability to convert ubiquinone diminishes.

This above is 1 paragraph from a article at this site.

[blog.nutri.com]
February 27, 2013 09:37AM
There are several CoQ review posts, 2007, 2008 and 2011. The earlier post addresses coumadin interference concerns as stated by the CoQ research experts. Many of the significant and relevant details one needs to know about Coenzyme Q 10 are found there along with extensive research references...some of which follow.

At the lower doses, CoQ is not found to interfere with coumadin.

In cases of cardiomyopathy and heart failure, using high-dose CoQ has been found to be lifesaving.

Jackie

Coenzyme Q10 - Review of Relevant Details -
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org] -2008

CoQ10 - The Spark of Life
[www.afibbers.org] - 2011

These reference links are included in this last report

REFERENCES
(1) Oxidative Stress – Cellular Damage Affects Everyone
[www.afibbers.org]

(2) Statin-Induced Cardiomyopathy –
Peter H. Langsjoen, M.D., F.A.C.C. (Physician, Biochemist and Researcher.)
[www.spacedoc.net]

(3) My Statin Story – Duane Graveline, M.D.
[www.spacedoc.net]

(4) Observational Report: The Strategy – Metabolic Cardiology
[www.afibbers.org]

(5) The Sinatra Solution: Metabolic Cardiology
Integrative Cardiologists Stephen T. Sinatra MD, FACC, CNS, CBT and James C. Roberts MD, FACC

(21) CoQ10 2005 teleconference with Dr. Judy and Designs for Health
Relevant notes: [www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org] update

(22) Energy and Defense
Littarru, G. P. Energy and Defense
1995 © C.E.S.I. Printed in Italy
pp 74 Reference study
Kalen, A Age related changes in the lipid composition of rat and human tissue. Lipids 24: 579- 584, 1989
Linnane, AW, Mitochondrial DNA mutations and the aging process: bioenergy and pharmacological intervention. Mutation Research 275 195-208, 1992

(6) Nano-particle Coenzyme Q10
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.lifeextensionvitamins.com]

Tischon Bio-Solve Q-gel patented reduced particle size
[www.thefreelibrary.com]

(7) Supplemental ubiquinol in patients with advanced congestive heart failure.
Langsjoen PH, Langsjoen AM.
East Texas Medical Center and Trinity Mother Francis Hospital, TX, Biofactors. 2008;32(1-4):119-28.
Abstract
Patients with CHF, NYHA class IV, often fail to achieve adequate plasma CoQ10 levels on supplemental ubiquinone at dosages up to 900 mg/day. These patients often have plasma total CoQ10 levels of less than 2.5 microg/ml and have limited clinical improvement. It is postulated that the intestinal edema in these critically ill patients may impair CoQ10 absorption. We identified seven patients with advanced CHF (mean EF 22%) with sub-therapeutic plasma CoQ10 levels with mean level of 1.6 microg/ml on an average dose of 450 mg of ubiquinone daily (150-600 mg/day). All seven of these patients were changed to an average of 580 mg/day of ubiquinol (450-900 mg/day) with follow-up plasma CoQ10 levels, clinical status, and EF measurements by echocardiography. Mean plasma CoQ10 levels increased from 1.6 microg/ml (0.9-2.0 microg/ml) up to 6.5 microg/ml (2.6-9.3 microg/ml). Mean EF improved from 22% (10-35%) up to 39% (10-60%) and clinical improvement has been remarkable with NYHA class improving from a mean of IV to a mean of II (I to III). Ubiquinol has dramatically improved absorption in patients with severe heart failure and the improvement in plasma CoQ10 levels is correlated with both clinical improvement
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

(8) The effect of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors on coenzyme Q10: possible biochemical/clinical implications.
Hargreaves IP, Duncan AJ, Heales SJ, Land JM.
Drug Saf. 2005;28(8):659-76 PMID: 16048353

UBIQUINOL STUDY REFERENCES
Bioenergetic and antioxidant properties of coenzyme Q10: recent developments.
Littarru GP, Tiano L.
Mol Biotechnol. 2007 Sep;37(1):31-7. Review.
PMID:17914161

Overview of the use of CoQ10 in cardiovascular disease.
Biofactors. 1999;9(2-4):273-84. Review.
PMID:10416041

Reduced coenzyme Q10 supplementation decelerates senescence in SAMP1 mice.
Yan J, Fujii K, Yao J, Kishida H, Hosoe K, Sawashita J, Takeda T, Mori M, Higuchi K.
Exp Gerontol. 2006 Feb;41(2):130-40. Epub 2006 Jan 4.
PMID:16387461

Study on safety and bioavailability of ubiquinol (Kaneka QH) after single and 4-week multiple oral administration to healthy volunteers.
Hosoe K, Kitano M, Kishida H, Kubo H, Fujii K, Kitahara M.
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2007 Feb;47(1):19-28. Epub 2006 Aug 21.
PMID:16919858[

COENZYME Q10 REFERENCES – for continued research
Biochemical functions of coenzyme Q10. Crane FL. J Am Coll Nutr. 2001 Dec;20(6):591-8.

Ubiquinol-10 is an effective lipid-soluble antioxidant at physiological concentrations. Frei B, Kim MC, Ames BN. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990 Jun;87(12):4879-83.

Ubiquinol: an endogenous antioxidant in aerobic organisms. Ernster L, Forsmark-Andrée P. Clin Investig. 1993;71(8 Suppl)confused smiley60-5.

The antioxidant role of coenzyme Q. Bentinger M, Brismar K, Dallner G. Mitochondrion. 2007 Jun;7 Supplconfused smiley41-50. Epub 2007 Mar 16.

Ubiquinol-10 protects human low density lipoprotein more efficiently against lipid peroxidation than does alpha-tocopherol. Stocker R, Bowry VW, Frei B. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991 Mar 1;88(5):1646-50.

The emerging role of coenzyme Q-10 in aging, neurodegeneration, cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes mellitus. Dhanasekaran M, Ren J. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2005 Dec;2(5):447-59.

Dietary supplementation with coenzyme Q10 results in increased levels of ubiquinol-10 within circulating lipoproteins and increased resistance of human low-density lipoprotein to the initiation of lipid peroxidation. Mohr D, Bowry VW, Stocker R. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992 Jun 26;1126(3):247-54.

Plasma coenzyme Q10 response to oral ingestion of coenzyme Q10 formulations. Bhagavan HN, Chopra RK. Mitochondrion. 2007 Jun;7 Supplconfused smiley78-88.

Age-related changes in the lipid compositions of rat and human tissues. Kalén A, Appelkvist EL, Dallner G. Lipids. 1989 Jul;24(7):579-84.

Coenzyme Q10 in the human retina. Qu J, Kaufman Y, Washington I. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Apr;50(4):1814-8.

Coenzyme Q in cardiovascular disease. Singh RB, Niaz MA, Rastogi V, Rastogi SS. J Assoc Physicians India. 1998 Mar;46(3):299-306.

Perspectives on therapy of cardiovascular diseases with coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinone). Mortensen SA. Clin Investig. 1993;71(8 Suppl)confused smiley116-23.

Effects of coenzyme Q10 administration on pulmonary function and exercise performance in patients with chronic lung diseases. Fujimoto S, Kurihara N, Hirata K, Takeda T. Clin Investig. 1993;71(8 Suppl)confused smiley162-6.

A possible role of coenzyme Q10 in the etiology and treatment of Parkinson's disease. Shults CW, Haas RH, Beal MF. Biofactors. 1999;9(2-4):267-72.

Low plasma coenzyme Q10 levels as an independent prognostic factor for melanoma progression. Rusciani L, Proietti I, Rusciani A, Paradisi A, Sbordoni G, Alfano C, Panunzi S, De Gaetano A, Lippa S. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006 Feb;54(2):234-41.

Study of CoQ10-enzymes in gingiva from patients with periodontal disease and evidence for a deficiency of coenzyme Q10. Nakamura R, Littarru GP, Folkers K, Wilkinson EG. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1974 Apr;71(4):1456-60.

Decreased levels of coenzyme Q(10) in patients with bronchial asthma. Gazdík F, Gvozdjáková A, Nádvorníková R, Repická L, Jahnová E, Kucharská J, Piják MR, Gazdíková K. Allergy. 2002 Sep;57(9):811-4.

Does coenzyme Q10 play a role in opposing oxidative stress in patients with age-related macular degeneration? Blasi MA, Bovina C, Carella G, Genova ML, Jansen AM, Lenaz G, Brancato R. Ophthalmologica. 2001 Jan-Feb;215(1):51-4.

Serum coenzyme Q10 levels in thyroid disorders. Ogura F, Morii H, Ohno M, Ueno T, Kitabatake S, Hamada N, Ito K. Horm Metab Res. 1980 Oct;12(10):537-40.

Biochemical deficiencies of coenzyme Q10 in HIV-infection and exploratory treatment. Folkers K, Langsjoen P, Nara Y, Muratsu K, Komorowski J, Richardson PC, Smith TH. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1988 Jun 16;153(2):888-96.

Human CoQ10 deficiencies. Quinzii CM, López LC, Naini A, DiMauro S, Hirano M. Biofactors. 2008;32(1-4):113-8.

Plasma ubiquinol-10 as a marker for disease: is the assay worthwhile? Kontush A, Schippling S, Spranger T, Beisiegel U. Biofactors. 1999;9(2-4):225-9.

Evidence of plasma CoQ10-lowering effect by HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Ghirlanda G, Oradei A, Manto A, Lippa S, Uccioli L, Caputo S, Greco AV, Littarru GP. J Clin Pharmacol. 1993 Mar;33(3):226-9.

Coenzyme Q10 and cardiovascular disease: a review. Sarter B. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2002 Jul;16(4):9-20.

Relative bioavailability comparison of different coenzyme Q10 formulations with a novel delivery system. Liu ZX, Artmann C. Altern Ther Health Med. 2009 Mar-Apr;15(2):42-6.

Other suggested reading

[www.kanekaqh.com]

www.coenzymeQ10.org

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Sinatra, Passwater interview CoQ10, PLC
[www.drpasswater.com]
[www.drpasswater.com]

Collection of CoQ related articles thanks to Justine: [www.coq10.co.nz]

CoQ10 is needed for basic cell functions in energy production.
CoQ10’s primary function is to shuttle electrons through the electron transport chain (ETC) in the mitochondrial inner membrane. This pathway is also referred to as the oxidative phosphorylation part of the central energy pathway. The electrons are received directly from succinate, or indirectly from several other substrates such as pyruvate, acyl-CoA, and alpha-ketoglutarate in the form of NADH. CoQ10 moves from one electron carrier complex to the next, ultimately delivering electrons, one at a time, in a never-ending cycle of oxidation and reduction (Figure 6).

While the electrons are delivered one at a time, they leave in pairs to form ATP and H20. If CoQ10 availability is not adequate the electrons will not be able to travel in pairs and single electrons will take another, less desirable, pathway that can lead to the generation of superoxide radicals. Optimal functioning of this pathway is critical for the fundamental energy generation that powers all cell functions. CoQ10 is also an antioxidant. Therapeutic approaches targeting mitochondrial disfunction and oxidative damage using CoQ10 hold great promise.19
[www.metametrix.com]

Reports of interest - indicating statin therapy interferes with Coenzyme Q10 production and protection

CoQ10 Depletion.
The Achilles Heel of the Statin Crusade.
A Review of Published Animal and Human Trials
[www.thincs.org]
(2003 presentation @ Weston Price Foundation)
Peter H. Langsjoen, M.D., F.A.C.C., Cardiovascular Diseases.
Research in Biomedical Aspects of Coenzyme Q10.
Doctors Dr., Tyler, Texas 75701,USA.

The depletion of the essential nutrient coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) by the increasingly popular cholesterol lowering drugs, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins) has grown from a level of concern to one of alarm. With ever higher statin potencies and dosages, and with a steadily shrinking target LDL cholesterol, the prevalence and severity of CoQ10 deficiency is increasing noticeably to the physicians in the trenches of front line patient care. An estimated 36 million Americans are now candidates for statin drug therapy.

CoQ10 serves as the coenzyme for mitochondrial enzyme complexes I, II and III and is essential for mitochondrial ATP production. CoQ10 is also a clinically relevant fat-soluble antioxidant and is the only fat soluble antioxidant that is known to be synthesized de novo. It is found normally in the diet, predominantly in organ meats and is biosynthesized in all cells with peak capabilities in late teens and early twenties with a gradual age-related decline in blood and tissue CoQ10 levels after the age of 30 years.

Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion has been documented in 15 animal studies in six different animal species and has been shown to correlate with decreased ATP production, increased ischemia reperfusion injury, skeletal muscle injury and increased mortality.

There are 15 published trials on statin-induced CoQ10 depletion in humans. Of these 15 trials, nine were controlled trials, eight of which documented significant CoQ10 depletion. Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion has been shown to be associated with a fall in left ventricular function, an elevation of lactate to pyruvate ratio and an enhancement of LDL cholesterol oxidation. The current data on diastolic dysfunction further confirms the clinical importance of this drug-nutrient interaction.

Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion is well documented in animal and human studies with detrimental cardiac consequences in both animal models and human trials. Furthermore, this drug-induced nutrient deficiency is dose-related and more notable in settings of pre-existing CoQ10 deficiency such as in the elderly and in heart failure. Finally, statin-induced CoQ10 deficiency is completely preventable with supplemental CoQ10 with no adverse impact on the cholesterol lowering or anti-inflammatory properties of the statin drugs.

We are currently in the midst of a congestive heart failure epidemic in the United States, the cause or causes of which are unclear. As physicians, it is our duty to be absolutely certain that we are not inadvertently doing harm to our patients by creating a wide-spread deficiency of a nutrient critically important for normal heart function.

Statins and Increased Coronary Artery Calcification
One study found an increase in progression of coronary artery calcification (CAC) to be significantly greater in patients receiving statins who had an MI compared with event-free subjects despite similar LDL control. Continued expansion of CAC may indicate failure of some patients to benefit from statin therapy and an increased risk of having cardiovascular events.(1)
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Exercise failed to slow atherosclerosis progression in males taking statins
June 2004 [www.theheart.org]

Statins not good for the elderly
The elderly are particularly vulnerable to the detrimental side effects of statins especially cognitive decline and muscle weakness (Golomb)
[www.cmellc.com]
© 2005 Geriatric Times. All rights reserved.
Statin Adverse Effects: Implications for the Elderly
by Beatrice A. Golomb, M.D., Ph.D.

Russian Roulette
How do you know? Russian Roulette? A 39-year old woman died from a single dose of Crestor. Talk about winning the lottery in reverse! How do you know that if you take a statin, it might not happen to you? The odds are very low that you wouldn’t be affected…? But there is that nagging question…Are you a gambler?

[www.cbsnews.com]

[www.medicationsense.com]
[www.newmediaexplorer.org] (Doug’s story - Life After Lipitor)

Once Upon a Time in the US Patent Office
…..the large pharmaceutical company Merck, applied for two patents… that included Coenzyme Q10 as a foil to the counteract the effects of myopathy associated with statins or HMG-CoA reductase Inhibitors.
This was 1989 and 1990.

You can read the full contents of these patents for yourself on the official United States Patent and Trademark Office web site (www.uspto.gov/). It is interesting to note that both of these patents were issued over twelve years ago (May and June of 1990) but that no use of the patented process of combining Coenzyme Q10 with HMG-COA Reductase Inhibitors (Statins) has yet been made or publicized.

The Patent numbers you will want to look up are: Patent Number: 4,933,165 Patent Number: 4,929,437

"What is claimed is:
1. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a pharmaceutical carrier and an effective antihypercholesterolemic amount of an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor and an amount of Coenzyme Q.sub.10 effective to counteract HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor-associated skeletal muscle myopathy.

2. A composition of claim 1 in which the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor is selected from: lovastatin, simvastatin, pravastatin and sodium-3,5-dihydroxy-7-[3-(4-fluorophenyl)-1-(methylethyl)-1H-Indole-2yl]- hept-6-enoate.
[www.freepatentsonline.com]
[www.freepatentsonline.com]

Effect of atorvastatin on left ventricular diastolic function and ability of coenzyme Q10 to reverse that dysfunction.
Silver MA, Langsjoen PH, Szabo S, Patil H, Zelinger A.
Am J Cardiol. 2004 Nov 15;94(10):1306-10.
Statin therapy worsened diastolic parameters in most patients; coenzyme Q(10) supplementation in patients with worsening diastolic function with statin therapy improved parameters of diastolic function

Reduction of serum ubiquinol-10 and ubiquinone-10 levels by atorvastatin in hypercholesterolemic patients
Mabuchi H, Higashikata T, Kawashiri M, Katsuda S, Mizuno M, Nohara A, Inazu A, Koizumi J, Kobayashi J.
J Atheroscler Thromb. 2005;12(2):111-9.
All patients showed definite reductions of serum ubiquinol-10 and ubiquinone-10 levels, and mean levels of serum ubiquinol-10 and ubiquinone-10 levels decreased significantly from 0.81 +/- 0.21 to 0.46 +/- 0.10 microg/ml (p < 0.0001), and from 0.10 +/- 0.06 to 0.06 +/- 0.02 microg/ml (p = 0.0008), respectively.

Dose-related decrease of serum coenzyme Q10 during treatment with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors
Mol Aspects Med. 1997;18 Supplconfused smiley137-44 Mortensen SA, Leth A
Although HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors are safe and effective within a limited time horizon, continued vigilance of a possible adverse consequence from coenzyme Q10 lowering seems important during long-term therapy.

The clinical use of HMG CoA-reductase inhibitors and the associated depletion of coenzyme Q10. A review of animal and human publications.
East Texas Medical Center and Trinity Mother Francis Health System, Tyler, TX 75701
Biofactors 2003;18(14):101-11
The depletion of the essential nutrient CoQ10 by the increasingly popular cholesterol lowering drugs, HMG CoA reductase inhibitors (statins), has grown from a level of concern to one of alarm. With ever higher statin potencies and dosages, and with a steadily shrinking target LDL cholesterol, the prevalence and severity of CoQ10 deficiency is increasing noticeably.

An estimated 36 million Americans are now candidates for statin drug therapy. Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion is well documented in animal and human studies with detrimental cardiac consequences in both animal models and human trials.

This drug-induced nutrient deficiency is dose related and more notable in settings of pre-existing CoQ10 deficiency such as in the elderly and in heart failure. Statin-induced CoQ10 deficiency is completely preventable with supplemental CoQ10 with no adverse impact on the cholesterol lowering or anti-inflammatory properties of the statin drugs.

We are currently in the midst of a congestive heart failure epidemic in the United States, the cause or causes of which are unclear.

As physicians, it is our duty to be absolutely certain that we are not inadvertently doing harm to our patients by creating a wide-spread deficiency of a nutrient critically important for normal heart function.
PMID: 14695925
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login