Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introduction to 'epigenetics' and 'methylation'

Posted by Erling 
Erling
Introduction to 'epigenetics' and 'methylation'
September 18, 2010 09:56AM
(Please note in 5) below, the cell membrane being considered "an organic homologue of a computer chip, the cell’s equivalent of a brain").

1) 'A Tale of Two Mice', a fine introductory video: [www.pbs.org]

2) The total length of DNA present in one adult human is calculated to be "the equivalent of nearly 70 trips from the earth to the sun and back": [hypertextbook.com]. It's important to recognize that this gigantic DNA "library" has 'only' about 25,000 genes ("books"), and that each gene codes ("instructs") for only one specific protein (an assemblage of various specific amino acids linked in a specific sequence, much like varicolored beads on a string). By the way, the DNA codes only for proteins.

3) Since there are 'only' about 25,000 genes in this gigantic DNA library, each gene coding for one protein, but at least 150,000 different proteins making up our body, something else is obviously going on, that being "epigenetics" and "methylation":
-- epigenetics = above, or in addition to genetics.
-- methylation = attachment of a "methyl group" (CH3-, 1 carbon atom plus 3 hydrogen atoms) to control "gene expression", for instance to generate all of the body's proteins from the much fewer proteins coded for in the DNA..

4) 'NOVA - Science Now', a wonderfully educational video about epigenetics and methylation: [www.pbs.org]

5) Bruce Lipton, Ph.D, biography: [www.brucelipton.com], an excerpt:

"Dr. Lipton began his scientific career as a cell biologist. He received his Ph.D. Degree from the University of Virginia at Charlottesville before joining the Department of Anatomy at the University of Wisconsin’s School of Medicine in 1973. Dr. Lipton’s research on muscular dystrophy, studies employing cloned human stem cells, focused upon the molecular mechanisms controlling cell behavior. In 1982, Dr. Lipton began examining the principles of quantum physics and how they might be integrated into his understanding of the cell’s information processing systems. He produced breakthrough studies on the cell membrane, which revealed that this outer layer of the cell was an organic homologue of a computer chip, the cell’s equivalent of a brain. His research at Stanford University’s School of Medicine, between 1987 and 1992, revealed that the environment, operating though the membrane, controlled the behavior and physiology of the cell, turning genes on and off. His discoveries, which ran counter to the established scientific view that life is controlled by the genes, presaged one of today’s most important fields of study, the science of epigenetics. Two major scientific publications derived from these studies defined the molecular pathways connecting the mind and body. Many subsequent papers by other researchers have since validated his concepts and ideas."

6) Dr. Bruce Lipton on 'The New Biology - From Victim to Master of Your Health', a video: [www.youtube.com]

Adrian
Re: Introduction to 'epigenetics' and 'methylation'
September 18, 2010 03:42PM
Erling, Very interesting. Its about time we had a new biology seeing as how the old one just doesn't quite work. I browsed around youtube and Bruce Lipton's series " The Biology of Perception" [www.youtube.com]
That led into Rob Williams series " The Psychology of Change"[www.youtube.com] Now I just have to work on my changing my subconscious beliefs.

Thanks for leading this horse to water smiling smiley

Adrian
September 19, 2010 03:06AM
Erling - great post. I've heard Dr. Lipton speak previously... and I've been playing the Lipton links you've offered. This goes right along with my energy healing classes that I so enjoy taking and using. Thanks for bringing this up in such a meaningful, relative way. Everyone can benefit from following yur introduction to this important topic. I look forward to responses afterward.... just as Adrian has offered. Thanks, Adrian.

Jackie
Erling
September 20, 2010 09:43AM
Jackie, thanks for your reply!

It seems particularly iportant to this forum, and to your work on cell nutrition, to be told by an outstanding cell biologist that the cell membrane, functioning essentially as a computer chip, is the true 'brain' of the cell, rather than the DNA in the nucleus as previously taught. This gives added importance to making the health of the membrane, and its multitudinous protein channels, pumps, and receptors, the top priority for overall health.

So hang on to your hat! - this is going to be very interesting!

Erling

Erling
September 20, 2010 02:50PM
Hi Adrian!

It's very good to 'see' you again, although not too unexpected as I had for several days been reminiscing about our connecting some years ago. You'll remember the posted article on former NASA astronaut Dr. Edgar Mitchell's healing of cancer at his Institute of Noetic Sciences, where regarding studies in consciousness: "The paradox" he chuckled "is that the more knowledge we accumulate, the less we know. Gaining knowledge is like chopping down a forest from the inside out. The more we know, the bigger the circle of the unknown becomes. If we keep going at this rate, in another thirty years we’ll be totally clueless.” [media.wisdompractices.org] I remember you thinking that was a great way of summing it up. So with your linking to the web site of biologist Adam McLeod [www.dreamhealer.com], we have now come full circle with Edgar Mitchell being healed of a kidney tumor, this time from 5,000 miles away!! Anyone skeptical about such powers of consciousness might want to read his book 'The Way of the Explorer'. (For those who might not know, Dr. Mitchell earned his Doctorate in aeronautics and astronautics at MIT several years prior to being the Lunar Module pilot on Apollo 14. He was later awarded four honorary PhDs from leading universities).

But getting back to epigenetics, methylation, afib, and your dilemma "to ablate or not to ablate", consider what we now understand about the cardiac muscle cell membrane being the cell's brain, "homologous to a computer chip" as Dr Lipton explains, and the following so that we might discuss the implications:

1) From 'The channelopathies: novel insights into molecular and genetic mechanisms of human disease' November 16,2005 [cmbi.bjmu.edu.cn]. Excerpt:

"Ion channels are pore-forming proteins that provide pathways for the controlled movement of ions into or out of cells. Ionic movement across cell membranes is critical for essential and physiological processes ranging from control of the strength and duration of the heartbeat to the regulation of insulin secretion in pancreatic β cells. Diseases caused by mutations in genes that encode ion channel subunits or regulatory proteins are referred to as channelopathies. As might be expected based on the diverse roles of ion channels, channelopathies range from inherited cardiac arrhythmias, to muscle disorders, to forms of diabetes. This series of reviews examines the roles of ion channels in health and disease."

Here is a computer generated picture of one type of potassium channel showing its exquisite complexity: [en.wikipedia.org]

2) From 'Indian Pacing and Electrophysiology Journal' [www.ipej.org]. Excerpts:

"Cardiac channelopathies are diseases caused by mutations in genes encoding ion channels of the heart. Many cardiac channelopathies have been described. Atrial fibrillation is a manifestation of many of these channelopathies. The presence of atrial fibrillation often worsens the prognosis of these channelopathies and poses special problems in their diagnosis and management. Also, often atrial fibrillation is the presenting feature of a cardiac channelopathy- the other more ominous features appear only later. The management of atrial fibrillation is often different when it is due to a channelopathy. Thus understanding the relation between atrial fibrillation and the various cardiac channelopathies is very important."

"Conclusions:

Atrial fibrillation is an important association of many channelopathies. It has important prognostic and therapeutic implications in these channelopathies. Now it is being increasingly appreciated that even in atrial fibrillation occurring secondary to other diseases, a predisposing channelopathy may be present."

3) From 'Dream Healer', the web site of biologist Adam McLeod that you importantly provided [www.dreamhealer.com]. Excerpt:

"As proteins are dynamic in nature, they are constantly changing their conformations. Certain conformations enhance the rate of a reaction more than others which we describe as being more enzymatically active. Here’s the important part. This means that just the smallest change in structure or orientation of any part of this protein has dramatic effects on its enzymatic activity and, consequently, our health."

4) Enter methylation, which as we now understand from the videos in the first post above, and from biochemist Dr. Craig Cooney's book 'Methyl Magic', is the cells' way of controlling "gene expression", i.e. production of a protein and its configuration/ conformation, such as a cell membrane channel. receptor, etc. Jackie and I both provided specific information about methylation nutrients/supplements a few days ago: [www.afibbers.org]

See you again soon, I hope?

Erling

September 21, 2010 12:40AM
Erling - Thanks for pulling this extremely important information together in a way that we can follow. As Fran would say, "Brilliant."

I still have my hat but it was nearly blown away! Outstanding!!!

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login