Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Postural Trigger- Controlled Breathing Normalizes Rhythm

Posted by E. B. 
I am a 53-year-old mixed (mostly vagal) Lone Afibber; it almost feels like I am at an AA meeting- “my name is E. B. and I am an afibber; my last episode was July 5, etc.”

History- first event June 30, 2008. Fifty-three episodes since then. I am currently taking Taurine, Magnesium, Potassium, and L-Arginine. Shortly after I began taking the supplements, I went 30 days without an episode (thought I had it fixed). Unfortunately that was not the case; in June I experienced 7 episodes, which is my worst month ever. I have a good EP but have been thinking a lot about abalation lately.

My main trigger is postural; when I lean back in a recliner, or lie down to sleep each night, I am at risk. For the past year, I have struggled with finding some way to sleep without going into afib; I raised the head of the bed and worked out an elaborate pattern of pillows but nothing seemed to make any difference.

The frustrating thing about this postural trigger is that I lie down in bed and my heart races; hopefully it races in NSR but it seems like all it takes is a short run of ectopics and then I am in it.

I have recently discovered something that seems to counter the racing pulse- controlled breathing. Based on extensive Internet research (so you know it has to be true) it seems that it is a well-known fact that the optimal rate for breathing is 5 breaths per minute- 6 seconds in, 6 seconds out. Breathing at this rate balances the sympathetic/ parasympathetic system, which as we all know, has a direct impact on heart rhythm.

Here’s how it works for me; as soon as I lie down, the heart takes off. I breathe in for 6 seconds, breathe out for 6 seconds for several minutes. To take a full 6 second breath, you have to really drop your diaphragm and completely fill your chest (stick your belly out). When you expel the breath, your diaphragm comes up and you push it all the way out. Six seconds in and six seconds out will feel very slow to you at first.

Here’s the remarkable part, at least for me- on the out-breaths, my heart rate continues to be high (90 bpm); however when I breathe in and hold it for six seconds, my heart rate is roughly HALF that rate. The first time I experienced this it almost felt like my heart was stopping on the in-breaths and restarting on the out-breaths. Anyway, if I do this for several minutes, my heart rate normalizes at approximately 60 bpm, my normal resting rate.

I have noticed that I am sleeping better, and it also seems like I am having fewer episodes (although this is a very recent discovery for me so we shall see how it works out long term). The other thing- on three occasions I have been awakened by the racing pulse/ ectopic run (that usually signals the beginning of an event for me). I immediately sat up and performed the controlled breathing- afib was averted.

My wife says that this is actually a form of meditation; I don’t care what you call it but it is working for me.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.

EB

EB

Can you clarify? Is it 6 seconds in, hold for 6 more seconds, then 6 seconds out? I will definitely try this. Thanks

louise
Louise,

Breathe in for 6 seconds- try to drop your diaphram and fill your chest completely. Then 6 seconds for the exhale. So that's 12 seconds for 1 cycle- 5 cycles per minute.

I used a watch the first few times I did it. According to the website, 5 breath cycles per minute is the rate that balances the sympathetic/ parasympathetic systems.

EB

Thank you EB. I have, thru trial and error, figured out something similar, and have terminated episodes multiple times using diaphragmatic breathing, slowly in and out, then hesitating for as long as possible after the exhale before inhaling again. It's tricky getting it right, but when I do, it works.

louise
E.B I have discovered by trial and error - and then read it here - that arginine does not suit everyone. I usually have 2 - 4 AF episodes a year and in May decided to start taking arginine. I had 3 episodes in 3 weeks so stopped taking it and have not had one since.

EB< thank you for this. The next time i foolishly eat nonpaleo foods at the same time i am starting to "forget"my regular supplements i will try this, it sounds like it could work.
PeggyM
E. B.-

I presume the breathing website is: [www.coherence.com] The guy who puts out this website was playing around with a Freeze Framer device (now emWavePC). [www.heartmathstore.com] I own a Freeze Framer & could never see an afib benefit when I was in a 2.5 month long episode - but that doesn't mean you won't.

Also is an argument that you're increasing serum CO2 (a good thing). See info on Buteyko breathing <[www.afibbers.org]; also the RespErate device which arguably does the same thing: [www.resperate.com] and is shown to decrease blood pressure. Basically it slows your breathing with a timing device.

The idea behind increasing serum CO2 is that CO2 will relax smooth muscles. This is a good thing for afib (& also asthma).

Meditation will also increase serum CO2 and this could be considered a form of meditation.

George
Re: Postural Trigger- Controlled Breathing Normalizes Rhythm
July 13, 2009 01:18AM
EB - postural issues may relate to diaphragm displacement - not a true hiatal hernia but similar in action when it comes to impinging on the vagus nerve which also enervates the heart. You can have yours checked. When I had mine adjusted, it stopped AF events.

The other issue is potassium and magnesium levels - do you know what yours are? A deficiency in either or collective may contribute as well...esp. if you sense your heart beating at night when you lie down.

As George mentions, the increase of CO2 in blood will have an alkalizing effect and is thought to also be beneficial overall. I tried Buteyko early on in my afib career but didn't have the other pieces of the puzzle corrected so I didn't find it helped at the time...but now that I understand the whole picture better, it's definitely something worth trying if you optimize the intracellular electrolyte stores.... magnesium and potassium.

Jackie
George,

Thanks for providing the links.

Jackie,

My Mag and K levels were within range, but based on advice from this forum I am still supplementing with 800 Mg Mag and 1500 Mg K per day. Can you give some more detail regarding diaphragm displacement and the adjustment that you had? I was checked last year for hiatal hernia (negative).

Thanks,

EB

July 13, 2009 12:20PM
I located a holistic chiropractor. He determined that the diaphragm (muscle) was too high in position (I did not have hiatal hernia) and with a combination of pressure in various directions with coordinated breathing over the course of about 5 treatments - spaced out twice a week, he was able to stop my afib from an every day or everyother day event to zero.... I was on 300 mg flecainide at the time and I had no luck in having it work. After the first treatment, the breakthrough was delayed about 5 days - as I recall... until eventually, zero by the end of the treatment time. At the same time, I increased my intake of magnesium, potassium and taurine so the who combo was so great, I considered delaying my ablation date. But, I was unable to stop the flecainide without a nasty rebound effect, so I proceeded and have never looked back.

I'm told that chiropractors know how to do this as a matter of routine and some licensed massaged therapists can also do it. You may have to ask around to find one who has experience with the adjustment.

Jackie
Jackie,

This is scary, your experience sounds very familar to me. I was taking flec late last year (and it was not helping much); I stopped the flec when I started the supplement routine.

I am looking for a chiropractor right now. Wouldn't it be ironic if a chiropractor can fix what a cardiologist/EP can't?

Thanks

EB

July 14, 2009 12:29AM
E.B.- not scary - just enlightenment. There are many health benefits to balancing the meridian pathways that have been known and practiced for centurielong before the advent of prescription drugs and surgery. Very often getting back to the basics is fundamental in afffecting a cure. The EPs can 'fix' arrhythmia, but if you can do it with a few mechanical adjustments, that's far better than an invasive procedure. Good luck. Just remember that once again, the skill and experience of the clinician has a huge influence over outcome.... same as with success of ablations.

My experience with the magnesium is, even when you think you have enough, you may not and adding a bitmore in times of stress is an excellent preventive measure.

Jackie
Jackie,

I wanted to give you an update; I found a chiropractor and have had 3 adjustments. After each adjustment, I went into afib the following day. The chiro wants to do 3 to 5 more but I am holding up at this point.

The adjustment basically entails him pushing my diaphragm down; I take a deep breath and he pushes down; was your adjustment similar to this?

I had high hopes for this but not working out so far.

Thanks,

EB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login