Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Antiarrhythmic drugs and the supplements

Posted by charle 
charle
Antiarrhythmic drugs and the supplements
July 12, 2009 08:38PM
Is anyone taking or have taken pot, mag, taurine the same time as taking drugs such as flecanide, rhythmol, sotalol, etc?

If so, what was your experience?

Since the supplements act on the heart as well, my lay mind says there may be conflicts with the drugs. Comments appreciated.

Thanks
PeggyM
Re: Antiarrhythmic drugs and the supplements
July 13, 2009 01:24AM
Charle, why not find this out for yourself by reading conference room proceedings session 61, where 50 of your fellow afibbers have each done their individual best to explain just how come it is that they are not having afib epsodes any more? Many of these people have used supplements and diet right along with their ineffective medications. They have given dosages and results of the meds right along with giving dosages, brand names, and timing of any supplements. You could even read it with a pencil and paper by your side and take notes on each drug as you run across each one there, and report this data back to the board here. Not that you have to take notes to learn from these people, but i think it may reassure you about safety. In addition, i think you may recognize these people as current posters here, and if you have questions for them you can email them directly.
PeggyM
July 13, 2009 03:56AM
Charle - Yes, I have... flecainide and toprol and all the supplements...

One caution comes with taking supplemental potassium if you are also taking a potassium sparing drug for high blood pressure. That's contraindicated.

Also if you take coumadin, some supplements may also be contraindicated.

Jackie
charle
July 13, 2009 07:45AM
Peggy, Jackie,

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions, I will follow through.
GeorgeN
July 13, 2009 10:32AM
Charlie, I take potassium, magnesium and taurine. I infrequently take flecainide on demand (PIP). The one "side effect" I noticed, is that subsequent to being on the supplements for four or five months, my PIP conversion time went from 20 hours to 1 hour or less. Also, afib became extremely infrequent.

George
Barb H.
July 15, 2009 06:30PM
Charlie - I take my vitamins at least one hour before or after taking Flecanide, as I felt there was some "kick up" when I took them (twice) too close together. As long as there is some separation in time, all seems fine.

Barb
Sharon Glass
July 15, 2009 07:06PM
Hey BarbH, haven't seen you around lately or maybe I just missed you on the post. I'm glad the Flecanide is still working for you. Have your digestive issues settled down too? Just wondering. Sharon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login