Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Age cut off for ablations?

Posted by californiagal 
Age cut off for ablations?
February 01, 2024 06:11PM
Hello,
I have a friend who's 85 and looking into a first time ablation, consulting with a few local docs. One doc had told her she might be too old. My friend has always been active as a long time hiker, eats a balanced diet, and is a good weight. I thought I'd ask general opinions from this forum, knowing that it would be 'blind' and 'general' feedback. (Btw, I've told her aobut this forum and Andrea Natale, MD).

It's been awhile since I've posted here and have been doing very well since my first ablation with Dr. Natale in Austin last May. I'm currently on a 50 mg dose of flecainide, 6.25 mg of Metrprolol, and Eliquis twice /day. Am so very pleased with my current heart health.

All the best to you great forum folks!
Re: Age cut off for ablations?
February 01, 2024 06:49PM
There is no age cutoff. It depends on the person's health, not their age. If your friend is healthy and active, 85 wouldn't be a problem for someone like Natale.

I'm glad to hear you're pleased with your current hearth health, but you're still on flecainide and metoprolol? I assume that's because if you stop the flec, you go into afib. Have you discussed a touch-up procedure with Natale? You shouldn't need flecainide.
February 02, 2024 01:51AM
There's been some other reasons why Natale's office and I haven't initiated the weaning from the Flecainide yet. I hope to soon...
February 02, 2024 08:54AM
I had a second ablation by Natale at age 84, two years ago, and am still in NSR but with ectopics.

If it comes back I wouldn't hesitate to have him do it again. My heart had not enlarged over the 13 years between ablations, probably due to not letting the new Afib get out of control before treating it.

I also had a hip replaced last year and I'd rather go through another ablation procedure than another hip replacement. Less discomfort and faster recovery with the ablation.
February 02, 2024 11:55AM
My father was 93 last summer when he had his aortic valve replaced.

The Drs feel better about applying their skills and learning,....AND...experience, when they meet someone aged to is still 'with it'. If they feel good about your health, your mobility, your mental acumen and determination, much of it expressed in the words exchanged between the two of you, the EP will have a much more comfortable feeling about treating you, even if it's a second or third crack at the problem. A physician worth her salt will, all other considerations aside that we may not know yet, be happy to treat a healthy, active, and mentally sharp and motivated, octogenarian who needs her skills. Or, keep looking...
February 02, 2024 03:10PM
I appreciate all these comments...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login