Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium and BPPV

Posted by fravi 
Magnesium and BPPV
January 25, 2023 12:12PM
Hi everyone,

I always get back and keep an eye on latest news on this great forum. I just want to ask if somebody have noticed a correlation with the intake of magnesium and increase in BPPV episodes. I have been taking 1000mg of Magnesium dayly for the last 7 years and I also have noticed a tremendous increase in vertigo episodes. I was wondering if those might be caused by the magnesium. I was trying to find some data in the internet but was not able to find any.

Any advice will be appreciated,

Cheers

Fravi
Re: Magnesium and BPPV
January 25, 2023 12:51PM
January 25, 2023 06:17PM
fravi
I just want to ask if somebody have noticed a correlation with the intake of magnesium and increase in BPPV episodes.

I assume you are hypothesizing that an increased magnesium intake could block calcium into the cells & thereby cause BPPV?

I'm a person who has taken lots of magnesium (as high as 5-6 g/day, now maybe 3.5 g/day) without issue. Years ago I looked into high magnesium intake and found an obese, T2 diabetic physician who had taken 20 g/day for a year to get rid of his diabetic neuropathy, then 5g/day after. I posted on that here: [www.afibbers.org]

I think I probably "waste" or urinate out a lot of magnesium, hence my tolerance is high. Others have different situations. My wife's bowel tolerance is about 400 mg/day, mine is at least 10 times that.

In your case, you might reduce your Mg intake and see if your BPPV instances decrease.
February 05, 2023 12:15AM
In my 20 years of mag supplementation, I’ve had one episode of BPPV.

/LarryG
February 14, 2023 10:59AM
ravi - Sorry this is belated. I had intended to respond, but got sidetracked.

If your BPPV continues or escalates, consider a consult with a physician who evaluates cervical/spinal disc degeneration.

In brief, a few years ago, I began experiencing a weird symptom of loud buzzing in my head and dizziness with certain head positions. Then, as time went on, one morning when I got out of bed, I woke up the floor. I had fainted/collapsed and did recall a very loud buzzing noise before all went dark.

After many MD consults, brain MRI's etc and no answers, I consulted with a Sports Medicine physician who did another MRI that surveyed farther down the cervical spine than a brain scan...and he found a degenerated cervical disc. He showed me with a skeletal spine model how, when the head turns/twists to one side, the spine/condyle/bone presses on the cervical fossa. So, if it is not covered/protected by normal ‘disc/padding’ and it’s degenerated and thin, the result/reaction is the buzzing and syncope.)

I have developed an ‘awareness’ of head position at all times… turn my whole body rather than just my head to look from side to side, etc. I continue on with all my targeted nutrients including magnesium and added collagen – in the off-chance it may help delay ongoing disc degeneration. I do think that quite likely, the thing that helped me so much to avoid Afib at night…right-side sleeping only… has probably contributed to the problem disc. I’ve tried back or left side sleeping and that gives me warning sounds so I revert back to right side.

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login