Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

iron deficiency and afib

Posted by susan.d 
iron deficiency and afib
January 11, 2023 12:58AM
[bmccardiovascdisord.biomedcentral.com]
Interesting

I have many regrets in life. One is me not getting my iron up to a normal level. No dr ever gave an explanation of anemia and arrhythmia. My original oncologist in 2006 wanted me to get iron infusions but I refused because I went to the manufacturer website and saw a skull and crossbones icon that took up the entire page. Then last February I had a GI bleed and my lips were flesh color and I got an emergency watchman so I can reduce my Eliquis to 2.5. My current oncologist again suggested iron iv last February 2022. Again I held back. Still flesh whitish lips.

I feel perhaps I would had had less arrhythmias/less ablations/less ecvs/less hospitalizations if I was at least educated on how there is a connection of iron deficiency and afib. I was hospitalized 12 times in November. I had labs daily and nobody included cardiologists at any hospital suggested iron. Thus my sharing this link if you get afib and your labs are off.

Two weeks ago I was told by my GP that I needed it. He gave me a reason- my blood carries less oxygen. Then I started thinking of sleep apnea and loss of oxygen and the correlation to afib. I went back to my oncologist and made an iv appointment and had my first infusion today after my insurance pre approved it.

Today my lips are red. Well purple on the edges and red. I don’t ever remember my lips having a color. I had a heck of a reaction to the iv. I went with someone once for their iron infusions and they got a bag of saline with their iron. I had straight iron. There was no bag of saline so I asked and was denied saline, but I convinced the RN for a 2 hour drip of 200ml iron instead of <1 hr. I had to stay all day at the infusion room for observation. It was worst than chemo. Heck worst. My mouth still tastes metallic, I had tingling from eyelids to toes, dizziness, simply miserable with angina for hours afterwards. I got Benadryl before I left. I was originally scheduled for 2 treatments but after my labs I’m getting 4. I always roll with the punches… but I’m not looking forward to #2. If I get another reaction they won’t give me a #3 or #4.

Has anyone has sucrose iron? Is there sugar added to be called “sucrose“? Has anyone been told the correlation of being anemic and getting afib?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2023 01:12AM by susan.d.
Joe
Re: iron deficiency and afib
January 11, 2023 05:09AM
Interesting Susan! Goes to show that all levels should be optimal.
In my case of initial afib my level was 297 ug/L Ferritin (range 30 - 320) which i thought was a bit high. Cardiologist said that it's ok. In 2020 at last check it was 160 - still have the occasional afib episode. Don't these levels increase when inflammation is happening?
January 11, 2023 10:58AM
My ferritin was 16 (higher than previous 12) last week. Last July when I was in the icu with a nasty flutter it was 9. I don’t understand during the week stay why nobody noticed my levels and treated it. My saturation has been low too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2023 12:16PM by susan.d.
January 11, 2023 09:08PM
Ferritin sweet spot level is between 40-60.
Its about the only level of anything blood test related that is not good somewhere in the middle (15-500=about 250).
The good news Susan is you do not have far to go to get to that sweet spot although keeping it there is another story for you.
I am the opposite.
I have recently reduced my Ferritin level from 156 to 74 in 2 months using a combination of IP6 600mg + sometimes 600x2 on an empty stomach spread out + cutting out all vit C related food when i eat iron related foods.
I went back 10 weeks later + got a follow up blood test NOT taking a single 600mg IP6 capsule during that time but staying on my no vit. C combined with any sig. iron meals + my Ferritin was exactly the same 74 making that protocol perfect for keeping my Ferritin right where it is......so the IP6 dramatically lowered my Ferritin at a rate of about 1 point per capsule.....amazing.
For any of us + there are plenty that cannot give Blood but want to reduce their Ferritin level.....well your welcome.
I believe it has reduced my daily PAC level's along with always being super/over hydrated + Mag. Taurate/Malate intake when needed.

GL Susan keep us up to date throughout your tough times....wishing you your next infusion is easier then this last 1 was.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2023 09:28PM by vanlith.
January 11, 2023 10:07PM
High ferritin can also be an indication of inflammation, so have to look at the whole situation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login