Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mental Disorders Are Associated With an Increased Risk of Incident AF in Young Adults

Posted by susan.d 
Mental Disorders Are Associated With an Increased Risk of Incident AF in Young Adults
January 11, 2023 01:42AM
[www.practiceupdate.com]

Heart Rhythm

This large study used information from a national database to assess the association between mental disorders and the risk of atrial fibrillation (AF) among young adults (aged 20–39 years). The authors found that young adults with mental disorders — including depression, insomnia, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia — had a higher risk of developing AF (aHR, 1.526) than those without mental disorders. Patients with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia had a 2.0-fold higher risk of AF, and those with depression, insomnia, and anxiety disorder had a 1.5- to 1.7-fold higher risk of AF than those without mental disorders.
This study suggests that mental disorders may be an important risk factor for AF among young adults and should be considered in high-risk populations. Further research is warranted to evaluate the basis of this heightened risk to aid in patient management.
I wonder if it would be worth researching adrenergic response in the general population vs those with defined disorders of all kinds, not least being mental disorders. Do most with incipient/longstanding AF and other arrhythmias have markedly higher levels of cortisol than the general population? And is it a chicken/egg scenario? And so on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2023 04:06PM by gloaming.
No doubt many OLDER folks in this forum self-identify with also having mental disorders because of AF. I'm definitely on the spectrum. smileys with beer hot smiley >grinning smiley<
Re: Mental Disorders Are Associated With an Increased Risk of Incident AF in Young Adults
January 12, 2023 04:20PM
Speak for yourself Pavan.. I got AF in my 60s because of being Hyper Thyroid, than for about 20 years I got AF once in a while until I did get it more often and just went into permanent AF, I think my thyroid was again responsible for it.
Re: Mental Disorders Are Associated With an Increased Risk of Incident AF in Young Adults
January 12, 2023 04:42PM
I admit my afib has given me the heebie-jeebies throughout the years. Especially with high tachycardia.

I think at our age we worry a tad more about age related problems we wouldn’t had been concerned about when younger. Today I was on my tip toes, alone (potentially maggot food), on a chair organizing a floor to ceiling closet and I fell backwards onto to a hard surface. My first worry was a broken hip, back, wrist, but all was good except for my sudden tachycardia. I think some at our age may worry about brittle bones and falls or other concerns. It may not only only be afib related but it’s a concern nevertheless.
Elizabeth
Speak for yourself Pavan..

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
January 12, 2023 07:04PM
Pavan

I thought we could give our views on AF which I did. I am 89 years old, I have a large garden, berries, fruit trees and a very large lawn to mow. I do all of this myself and like it, I have AF but I have never had a very fast heartbeat so it doesn't bother me too much. I do not like the comment that older folks self-identify with mental disorders because of AF.

In regards to my other post about blood thinners I cannot explain any further on this site, so I just dropped it.
I read the comment as tongue-in-cheek. What gives it away are various emoticons and his final statement where he can identify (because he finds himself in that group). I could be mistaken.
It was tongue in cheek. I'm one of those that believe we're all on every spectrum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2023 11:55AM by PavanPharter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login