Advanced

curcumin, an active ingredient in turmeric: Arrhythmia risk potential

Posted by susan.d 
curcumin, an active ingredient in turmeric: Arrhythmia risk potential
January 03, 2023 05:04PM
[www.medpagetoday.com]

Abstract of various articles with links—Including this:

[www.heartrhythmjournal.com]

Beware curcumin, an active ingredient in turmeric that causes action potential duration prolongation in cardiomyocytes, which may have implications for people with potentially pro-arrhythmic functional variants. (Heart Rhythm)”
Re: curcumin, an active ingredient in turmeric: Arrhythmia risk potential
January 05, 2023 10:21PM
Interesting. Ive always wanted to use it but my gut said no. Ive always feared it a bit
January 05, 2023 11:13PM
India uses a lot of curcumin and turmeric in their cooking.
January 05, 2023 11:45PM
If you have cardiac arrhythmias of any sort, I would steer clear of curcumin. Turmeric in food is probably okay.
January 06, 2023 09:45AM
For what it is worth I just got off the phone with my GP asking about cinnamon and turmeric. He is not a cardiologist but he didn't think in food those would be any big deal. I do use a LOT of it so am backing off. And I <3 LOVE Indian food. So ask your doc but this is just what mine said.
January 07, 2023 05:49PM
< [www.sciencedirect.com];

Looks like 1% of folks could be adversely affected - genetic testing required to see if you’re one of them. The K channel gene variant involved typically manifests as LQTS anyway before adding any QT-prolonging drugs (or curcumin).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2023 06:07PM by mwcf.
January 08, 2023 01:07AM
If we’re asking our GP who is not a Cardiologist, about things a cardiologist MIGHT know about, then the answer is blowing in the wind.
We may as well ask a chef. My GP, for whom I have great respect, would not answer that question, and I would not expect her to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2023 08:48AM by JoyWin.
January 08, 2023 09:10PM
JoyWin
If we’re asking our GP who is not a Cardiologist, about things a cardiologist MIGHT know about, then the answer is blowing in the wind.
We may as well ask a chef. My GP, for whom I have great respect, would not answer that question, and I would not expect her to.

I suppose that is true. I also did talk to my pharmacist that is with the EP department at the hosptial. That is probably the best resource but everyone is probably better off to ask their own professionals they are comfortable with.
January 12, 2023 08:05PM
://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0753332221013093#sec0090:~:text=Biomedicine%20%26%20Pharmacotherapy,in%20rat%20modelBiomedicine & Pharmacotherapy
Volume 146, February 2022, 112522
Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy
Curcumin, novel application in reversing myocardial fibrosis in the treatment for atrial fibrillation from the perspective of transcriptomics in rat model.
Here is a study that shows a possible positive affect of curcumin in atrial fibrillation and in reducing atrial fibrosis.
January 23, 2023 05:38PM
Interesting. I have drank tea with Turmeric for a long time, and notice nothing. Likewise I have never been told not to. I was told it was good for inflammation.
January 24, 2023 07:03PM
Ugh. Just started using quanol turmeric. I want to cry. I was looking for something to help with inflammation.
Que
January 29, 2023 05:08PM
This is the genetic test

[www.invitae.com]

Pretty easy to figure out. I've had a few other test from Invitae, cost is about $75/test without insurance coverage
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login