Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metformin for AFIB... no... really

Posted by PavanPharter 
Metformin for AFIB... no... really
January 04, 2023 07:34PM
Conclusion

In summary, we have identified AF-specific dysregulated gene networks enriched in cardiac metabolism, ion transport, and immune pathways. Notably, we utilized multiple lines of complementary approaches, including LA tissue transcriptomics-based network module findings, network proximity, and drug-gene signature-based enrichment analysis to identify nine candidate drugs that are putative repurposed drugs for AF. Utilizing multiple lines of synergistic evidence, including in silico prediction from the AF disease module findings, in vitro testing from a-iCM models, and large-scale EHR data-based pharmacoepidemiologics analysis, we nominated metformin for functional validation and identified key molecular signals that help explain metformin’s mechanism of action. We believe that the network medicine approaches presented here, when broadly applied, would significantly catalyze effective treatment development for AF and other cardiovascular diseases.

[www.cell.com]
Joe
Re: Metformin for AFIB... no... really
January 04, 2023 08:16PM
Interesting and great find thumbs up Thanks for posting! Now, i've got to get my head around all of that - hopefully our better versed posters help out smileys with beer
January 05, 2023 10:35AM
For sure hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia aren't good for humans. Metformin helps control and lessen blood glucose and the vicious cycle of the fore mentioned. Sinclair et al believe metformin always have an anti-aging effect and a recent study showed that metformin is protective against long covid. [www.medrxiv.org]
Joe
January 05, 2023 05:57PM
Would a steady blood glucose level, say no post prandial spike of 100 to 120, be also protective . Insulin levels and spikes would also be a factor - probably an important one 🤷‍♂️
January 06, 2023 12:33PM
There is a study in this regard right now at University of Michigan. It is ablation plus metformin. FYI.

[clinicaltrials.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2023 12:35PM by bettylou4488.
January 07, 2023 07:56AM
Sugar should be labeled as a poison as should most all processed food. I've become extremely sensitive to anything that isn't a whole natural food and am punished for days with inflammation and soreness if I stray.
January 08, 2023 02:28AM
A friend of mine alerted me to a new way of eating called Bright Line Eating. The author's rule is no sugar and no flour. I don't need to lose more than 10-15 lbs, but I found the cookbook recipes AMAZING. LOTS of veggies,
January 08, 2023 09:22AM
I am firmly resolved, after a LOT OF research about three years ago, and after which I lost 22 pounds in about four months, that carbs are to be minimized. Not eliminated, not by a long shot. Just controlled, and that so as to control the 'storage' effects of insulin. What of you ingest that you can't use within a short period, two-three hours, you store. That's what insulin is for. Those with hyperinsulinaemia and metabolic syndrome are producing too much insulin, which tries to force the adipocytes to store more and more fat (the excess calories).

By eating fewer carbs, no matter what the source (and many vegetables, root or otherwise have carbohydrates in them), you reduce the prevalence of insulin, which means what you eat controls both your serum glucose AND any possible insulinic response.

I have adopted the moderate approach, not the keto approach, not even ketogenic. I try to keep my carb intake below 120 gms/diem. That amounts to a whopping 500 calories each day that insulin must deal with. The rest of the calorific intake comes from fat and protein. After a six month regimen, my blood markers were vastly improved, and my GP was vastly impressed. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 16, 2023 02:46AM
Hi, I was the same I realised by dropping inflammation caused by years of carbs and sugars my heart vastly improved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login