Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Had an av node ablation today

Posted by susan.d 
Had an av node ablation today
December 02, 2022 12:47AM
He spent 1.5+ hours ablating me.

I can’t move my right leg. It’s my 7th time I’ve been the Cath lab. I never lost function of my leg before..ep speculates too much linocaine used by the groin catheter area. I can move my ankles but I can’t move my leg from groin to ankles.

No general anesthesia during the ablation. Just like a colonoscopy— light anesthesia. Only one plug. Right leg. No left leg or jugular on neck.. infinity pain at the groin plug area. Opium pain killer brought it down to a 15/10.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2022 02:51PM by susan.d.
Re: Had a av node ablation today
December 02, 2022 10:59AM
Geez, what a journey, Susan. I do hope your condition improves very soon and that you can go on with life...in the fast lane. smileys with beer
December 02, 2022 11:08AM
Hi Susan, sending good thoughts and love your way that your leg heals quickly!
December 02, 2022 11:23AM
susan.d
ep speculates too much linocaine used by the groin catheter area.

Could well be. Hope that it wears off soon and that you will be very comfortable after this ablation. That is quite something to go through without a general anesthetic! Best wishes.
December 02, 2022 11:56AM
Thanks all. I got some limited motion back at 2am and I am weight baring on that bum leg. Hurts like heck.

I advocated for an avni instead of an avna. Time will tell. However my pacemaker is set to 80 and my hr has been in the 90s up to 104. I’m guessing my escape rhythm is working. Time will tell.

[academic.oup.com]

“ Conclusion
AV-node isolation using 3D navigation mapping system is a safe and effective alternative to classic AVNA procedure with less radiation exposure and potential preservation of escape rhythm, which is a major benefit in case of a pacemaker failure.”

Or is my fast hr from having an ablation? I know for some their hr is higher during the blanking period. I never had a higher hr during my first three ablations. This 4th is higher. I’m not sure this higher hr/blanking is comparable to an AVNI. Vs a regular af ablation or to my wear and tear of weeks of tachycardia.

I go home today so all is good. I’ve been here 5 days. I plan on some light activities such as sewing
December 02, 2022 07:57PM
Susan: Hopefully you're now feeling relief that you have made your decision and followed through on it. A long journey with hopefully from now on a happy NSR ending.

Where did you have the procedure and how did you choose the surgeon?

What was Natale's advice on your last visit with him?

Stay in touch with the group and me.

Gordon
December 02, 2022 10:19PM
Susan, Hopefully Home will do the trick. Good thoughts to you.
December 04, 2022 01:05PM
How are you feeling now, Susan? Are you still feeling the flutter? And has the pain at the groin site improved/resolved? Hope you are more comfortable now.
Re: Had an av node ablation today
December 04, 2022 02:17PM
Site groin pain is a 5/10- 7/10 if I move my leg. 1/10 otherwise if I’m still. I still have a paperweight bum leg. I can’t get into/out of bed and swing my leg over. Same as getting in and out of a car. I manually have to pull my leg with both my hands to move it. I have limited range of motion and fully weight baring but at least it’s no longer paralyzed. Baby steps. It’s just a hiccup that I hope resolves. I am not driving yet until my leg has range of motion. I use my right leg for the car pedals. I wouldn’t be able yet to move my leg laterally enough from the gas to the brakes. So I’m not driving until my range of motion returns.

No high tachycardia which is great. So calm. I love it! Occasionally i get a rare short arrhythmia which I think is from the inflammation/blanking. Pacemaker is set to 80 but if I walk it usually is in the 90s. Highest was 104 on Friday. I do have angina which is on my radar. It radiates down my arm and starts in my chest. It hurts at times. I’m keeping an eye in it hoping it’s from the inflammation.

The procedure was very easy, no general anesthesia and I woke up with a finally calm heart. I like my experienced knowledgeable EP and am grateful he rearranged his schedule to ablate quickly because I had a 16 day uncontrollably with meds tachycardia that wore me out. Being off all my meds (sotalol and Cardizem) is day and night improvement. I got my energy back except for the angina that started yesterday afternoon when I took a walk to my backyard. If it wasn’t for my angina I could say I’ve never felt so good in years. I no longer have labored breathing and I’m not drained from the drugs I use to take. Life is great.
December 04, 2022 05:12PM
Poco y poco se va lejos. A step at a time, Susan, even if it's a pain to have to take them. I'll bet this is all just a bad story before two weeks have passed. At least, that's what I hope for you.
December 04, 2022 05:25PM
Yes I’m whining like a two year old. Grumpy when in pain. But I’m above ground and not in high hr tachycardia so life is good.
December 04, 2022 07:46PM
You haven't reached whining like JJ Watt status or even close. You're a badass Susan. Rock on!
December 04, 2022 09:29PM
I have to have a sense of humor to deal with my 20 surgeries, 4 ablations, pacemaker and watchman luck.

As Clint Eastwood says in the film 'Dirty Harry, "Are you feeling lucky, punk?"  Sometimes you wake up, and sometimes you are dead.

I’m woke up above ground so life is good, even with a wooden useless peg leg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login