Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

waking up at night/hydration

Posted by bneedell 
waking up at night/hydration
November 30, 2022 12:02PM
I know it is very important to stay hydrated...yet recommendations for help to sleep through the night say to stop drinking water a few hours before bed. I wake up every few hours, quite thirsty, and drink water. Does anyone else experience this? Not sure if I should drink or not.thanks
Re: waking up at night/hydration
November 30, 2022 12:43PM
bneedell
I wake up every few hours, quite thirsty,

When I wake up with a dry mouth, it is an indicator I've been breathing through my mouth. For many years now, I've taped my mouth at night and it solves this. In this post from a couple of years ago, I have heart rate vs. time graphs showing the difference in heart rate patterns with and without tape on during the same night. There are a number of tape options. I use this tape. You get 25 sheets with 8 pieces of tape on each sheet (200 strips total) for $13. The least expensive is 3M Micropore paper tape. There are options like this Myotape that doesn't cover the mouth as this freaks some out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2022 02:44PM by GeorgeN.
November 30, 2022 03:07PM
I have avoided drinking more than a late cup of almond milk to wash down a handful of nuts about two hours before bed. When I hydrate, it is with tea, rather weak, and I drink a liter of it before breakfast (I fast until late in the morning). My liquid consumption for the rest of the day, including the almond milk, might approach 0.75 of a liter. So, by bedtime, I'm somewhat short. I am 70 and have not risen to void at all except for maybe four or five nights each year. Except for sleep apnea and atrial fibrillation, I seem to be doing okay.

I use the 3M 'strong hold' light blue tape. It isn't cheap, and you don't get much of it (4 yards per spool), but I clean my mouth carefully before bed and before affixing the length of tape over my mouth. This allows me to use each piece at least three nights, and usually four before its hold is lost. I store the remnant on the spool, placed back over the unused length because it obscures the tape surface and keeps it out of the open air, drying it out.

[www.3mcanada.ca]
December 01, 2022 09:43AM
I use this
[www.amazon.com]
December 02, 2022 11:45AM
I am diabetic and before I was diagnosed I woke to relieve myself 6-7 times a night because I was drinking so much water. At that time my A1c was 12.1. Now that it is under control I am only in need of the bathroom 1-2 times a night unless I drink a whole lot of water which I do not usually. Staying hydrated is a chore for me but I am trying to focus on it. That was a long way to say make sure you are not diabetic.

Interesting about the tape. I use a chin strap along with my cpap as I am a recovering mouth breather. It helps w/o too much restriction.
December 02, 2022 07:49PM
Here's a link to the main varieties of standard tape to use at night ; [www.activeforever.com]

For me, unless I am cleanly shaven, Durapore works best. For my wife who has thin skin, the Micropore (paper) tape is best. Duracore costs about 1 cent/inch and I use maybe 3" per time.

Nexcare is a 3M product.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login