Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I Take Fish Oil and Other Supplements with Eliquis?

Posted by tvanslooten 
Can I Take Fish Oil and Other Supplements with Eliquis?
November 28, 2022 07:08PM
I'm in line for a 2nd ablation with Dr. Natale so I'm on 5mg of Eliquis, twice daily right now.

Here are the most important supplements I would like to continue to take at the doses shown (per day) while I'm on Eliquis. Do you see any concerns?

Zinc - 30mg
Quercetin - 500mg
Vitamin C - 2,000mg
Vitamin D - 5,000IU
Vitamin K Complex - 600mcg
Fish Oil - 2,000mg
Melatonin - 2mg

I have searched high and low in this forum and online and nobody has a clear cut answer on what supplements/vitamins you can and can't take with Eliquis. I'm willing to lower or completely eliminate any of the above if I have to, but I'd like to stay on as many as I can for immune support and general health.

Thanks,

Travis
: Can I Take Fish Oil and Other Supplements with Eliquis?
November 28, 2022 07:49PM
Why don't you call his office?
They will let you know if it is okay or not.
Re: Can I Take Fish Oil and Other Supplements with Eliquis?
November 28, 2022 08:40PM
As much as I would like this to be the definitive site for checking drug interactions, it isn't and never will be. That's much too complex a problem for us to deal with. Maybe if someone hands us a $10 million grant, we can think about it. winking smiley

Where you need to be checking is a reputable drug interactions checker like this one. There are others, but this is the one I'm most familiar with. They've recently changed it so that you have to sign up for an account to use it, but it's free and only takes a minute to sign up. I think it's worth it.

I typed Eliquis and all your supplements into it, and the only item of concern is the fish oil, which I already knew about because I've been taking it with Eliquis for years. Fish oil has a modest anticoagulant effect, so it enhances the Eliquis. If you have any bleeding risks, the two combined will increase that risk.

You just need to give that list to Natale's staff. They might ask you to stop the fish oil temporarily but everything else is probably no problem.
November 28, 2022 11:53PM
[www.afibbers.org]

I like some of the links on the second afibbers past discussions I provided on herbal interactions and drug interactions.

First ignore. It’s on flec dosages not herbal and drug interactions.
November 29, 2022 10:07PM
ive said this in other threads but I have a cardiology pharmacist that I have called for these questions. She is on the team at the hosptial. Perhaps you can find one with your team. I met her when I was going to get on dofetlide in the hospital. She would not "commit" but had access to other databases and a firm knowledge of cardiac medications. Just an idea.
December 01, 2022 02:24PM
Travis - I tried to PM you but it doesn't seem to be working.

Why are you taking quercetin and which one are you taking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2022 02:24PM by PavanPharter.
January 01, 2023 02:58PM
Pavan:

I take quercetin to prevent COVID (along with zinc and vitamin D).

Travis
January 01, 2023 03:02PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help.

Travis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login