Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scared to be on eliquis !

Posted by Sunshine13 
Scared to be on eliquis !
November 29, 2022 09:38PM
Since 2016 I’ve had paroxysmal a fib. It’s been 7 months since I’ve had an episode. Today saw cardio and he recommends eliquis. I’ve been taking baby aspirin. I am really scared . Am on Medicare and the cost is very expensive $145 for 30 day supply. I also have other health issues that require for me to take naproxen every once in awhile, which I was told not to use it unless it was absolutely necessary. For thoses of you that take eliquis have you had any major issues and have you been able to get eliquis at a reasonable cost. Thank you.
Re: Scared to be on eliquis !
November 29, 2022 09:48PM
I have a pharmacy that sells 28 days of Eliquis for $105. Free shipping. I have a $50 off coupon so it would cost $55.

I’ve been on Eliquis for 5 years. I’m not symptomatic and in fact aspirin was hard on my guts. You should be ok. Try a month. A stroke is worst.
November 29, 2022 10:25PM
I have been on Eliquis for about 6 years with no difficulties. I take a Aleve or ibuprofen as needed but far from on a daily basis. We all handle things differently, though.
November 30, 2022 12:27AM
Sunshine13
I also have other health issues that require for me to take naproxen every once in awhile, which I was told not to use it unless it was absolutely necessary.

Can you define "every once in a while?" How often, how much, and for how long?
LLA
November 30, 2022 12:30AM
Before my AFib became persistent, I too was afraid of taking Eliquis. I was taking aspirin, fish oil, and Vitamin E then, and hoped that was good enough. But after a trip to the ER, I realized I would be better off not having to worry about it every day, and started taking Eliquis. It was actually kind of a relief to take it. That was three years ago and I've never had a problem with it since then.
The scariest thing about it now is the cost. Perhaps you could look into a different Medicare drug plan that would have a lower copay for Eliquis.
November 30, 2022 03:09AM
I would Echo LLA's advice to look for a drug plan with the lower cost for the Eliquis. I pay $40 a month for my Eliquis before reaching the "donut hole" which happens around month 10.
November 30, 2022 07:18AM
Good Morning Susan , Do you mind sharing which pharmacy you use for the lower cost Eliquis ? Thank you .
November 30, 2022 07:21AM
LLA , Good Morning , I am currently in the process of looking into a new part D plan with a lower cost eliquis. My problem is that I am also on inhalers for asthma and they also fall in a higher cost category. I know some people have gone with Canadian pharmacy’s because of the cost. Thank you so much for your input.
November 30, 2022 08:40AM
Good morning , Every couple of months my pinched nerve in my neck starts acting up and the only thing that helps is naproxen 500 mg . So for a few days I take it to calm down . Thank you.
November 30, 2022 09:52AM
Taking NSAIDs with Eliquis for short periods of time isn't a problem. The way you're using it would be no problem.
November 30, 2022 11:19AM
Eliquis (like insulin for Type 1s) should be much more affordable for all.

It's ridiculous that an inexpensive pill can't be readily available to prevent the 100's of thousands in costs that are the result of a stroke. IDK what Eliquis costs in the 3rd world but many high priced drugs in the US cost less than 10% in other places. The US system is BS. We spend the most and die the fastest.

I am in NSR and currently hoarding 2X a day Eliquis for when bad times come or insurance isn't as good.

[www.reuters.com]
November 30, 2022 03:15PM
My cardio guy told me, when I learned I had AF and had to go on an anti-coagulant, that he would prescribe apixaban. He added that there was recently a formulation that came to market as a reversal agent if needed. He was mistaken. I think there is finally a protocol now, five years later, but he was wrong at the time. And I wasn't all that keen on being on it. However, five years have passed, and I am still here. I have had surgeries and cuts, and none of it went horribly wrong....as you must be fearing. It slows clotting, but doesn't really 'prevent' it. If you leave a nick undisturbed and open to the air, it will stop bleeding and clot, after which you should be okay to apply a dressing/bandage.

I believe the insurers are the ones adamant about instructions to avoid/abstain from NSAID medications. Nurses and physicians will tell you go ahead, just don't use them like you do pretzels or gummy bears. One, and then a second 12 hours later if you really need to. That is the way I use Aleve, one, maybe twice a year, and almost never repeated within a full day.
November 30, 2022 03:42PM
Those reversal agents for the DOACs are virtually never used. Unlike warfarin, which has a half-life measured in days, the DOACs have half-lives measured in hours, so there's really no need for reversal agents even in most serious trauma cases. They can just let the drug wear off, and if it needs to be done more quickly, they can infuse fresh frozen plasma to give you increased clotting factors. Those reversal agents are outrageously expensive so nobody wants to use them if they don't have to. I listened to a podcast by a trauma surgeon at NYU Medical Center (very large NYC trauma center) say that despite seeing thousands of trauma patients per year, he has never used a reversal agent even once.

I think the drug companies created reversal agents just to reassure patients rather than out of a legitimate medical need.
November 30, 2022 05:35PM
Sunshine13
Good Morning Susan , Do you mind sharing which pharmacy you use for the lower cost Eliquis ? Thank you .

[www.afibbers.org]

Usually 3 day DHL fast delivery, great expiration date. Use the $50 coupon code. Hope this helps.
December 06, 2022 06:06AM
Susan, Are you on Medicare Part D? I do not believe you are so your price is misleading. IF you are on Medicare Part D, which one is it? I have been on Eliquis for many years. I went to Medicare in 2016 and use the Part D plan. You cannot use coupons with Medicare Part D.
Please do not be misleading someone
December 06, 2022 10:48AM
My cost is not misleading anyone. OMG! I love to be flamed upon waking up. I think this ablation works. I don’t have part D (thank God) with its donut holes. I have a union employee PPO insurance for health which the employers union pays and I use during my weekly admissions …and I have a private rx plan that the employer set up. Sometimes I don’t even use it because generics cvs cash deals are dollars so I pay cash. Someone with part D can be savvy and investigate ways to save during donut hole season.

If you do have part D then either Investigate cvs cash price or use Blink online or israelpharm during don’t season. Since I have private insurance and not part D, I took advantage of Eliquis $10 co-pay plan of only paying $10 a month (my copay minus monthly coupon) and when I was taking multaq I had a multaq $50 off monthly copay promotion from the manufacturer. So multaq was completely free since I don’t pay for part D. These copay coupons are not available for those on D and my prior post didn’t mention using manufacturers coupons below which would be deceiving if someone doesn’t read the fine print.

[www.eliquis.bmscustomerconnect.com]

[www.multaq.com]

That said my drugs cost near nothing. Prilosec rx was discontinued and somehow the over the counter Prilosec is not the same. Trust me it’s different so I get my Prilosec from israelpharm. My sister in law buys all of her drugs there because her husband is waiting to be 72 or 73 to get Medicare so he has no rx insurance and the link I offered saves them $.

I offered an israelpharm $50 off coupon to use for those on part D during their donut hole because it’s a cash price and they don’t ask for insurance. $55 the first month for Eliquis and $105 a month afterwards is a savings for those during the donut hole season. Blink online gives great cash (no insurance) prices.

I also call up struggling pharmacies at times to buy my drugs. They have been trying to stay afloat since the pandemic and sometimes either match my copay or I pay a tad more to reassure I don’t get rx generics from India or China.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2022 11:16AM by susan.d.
December 06, 2022 02:05PM
Out of line Smackman. People are here to help others. Drugs have different prices for different plans, coupons, codes, cash, credit, etc.
December 06, 2022 03:57PM
smackman
Susan, Are you on Medicare Part D? I do not believe you are so your price is misleading. IF you are on Medicare Part D, which one is it? I have been on Eliquis for many years. I went to Medicare in 2016 and use the Part D plan. You cannot use coupons with Medicare Part D.
Please do not be misleading someone

Steady there, cowboy. First, could you disagree without being disagreeable? That would be a great start.

Secondly, it's always good public practice to allow for your being misinformed or for misunderstanding. Seek clarification when you feel there is a contradiction or if you feel the person you're challenging might be mistaken. It may turn out that you are the one misinformed, misapprehended, or hasty....which is evident to be the case here. winking smiley
December 06, 2022 05:15PM
Thank you Pavan and Gloaming for your posts. I was just trying to be helpful for those with high rx cost’s during their Part D donut period.

Hoping you all stay in nsr
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login