Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colonoscopy directions from Austin

Posted by smackman 
Colonoscopy directions from Austin
October 24, 2022 12:20PM
Dr. Natale said I could be off Eliquis for ONE day only. My Gastrointestinal Doctor has a written statement signed by Dr. Natale.
Now I have a tooth that has to be extracted. It is a bad tooth under a 30 year old crown. It took 2 weeks toget an answer for the Colonoscopy. This damn tooth hurts and I cannot wait 2 weeks. Anyway to get a speedy answer to my Dentist?
Thank you
Re: Colonoscopy directions from Austin
October 24, 2022 03:26PM
Is excessive bleeding really a concern on Eliquis? I've been on it for a few years and not once had a standard wound, cut scrape, shaving cut, whatever fail to clot in what seems like a normal amount of time. Maybe the Eliquis isn't working if I am always clotting normally?
October 24, 2022 05:27PM
The answer is going to be the same (one day only), so just tell the dentist. I would think one day is sufficient for an extraction.
October 24, 2022 05:32PM
PavanPharter
Is excessive bleeding really a concern on Eliquis?

It is for surgeons. Most of them are overly picky about any kind of anticoagulant, and often even fish oil and things like that.

I've been on it for a few years and not once had a standard wound, cut scrape, shaving cut, whatever fail to clot in what seems like a normal amount of time. Maybe the Eliquis isn't working if I am always clotting normally?

As long as you're taking it as prescribed, it's working. Eliquis doesn't increase bleeding so much as it delays clotting. You don't bleed more heavily, you just bleed longer. I'm confident that if you cut yourself and timed the bleeding with and without Eliquis that the time would be longer on Eliquis.
October 24, 2022 05:35PM
The dentist just called me back. Dr. Natale said one day off Eliquis for tooth extraction. My appointment is Wednesday at 9 am. I will stop Eliquis after 9 PM dosage tonight. That will be approx 24 hours for 9 AM extraction Wednesday. I am nervous about stopping Eliquis but Dr. Natale gave the orders.
Thanks for all the help. This tooth has to GO!!!!
October 31, 2022 09:15AM
Well, all went well with tooth extraction. It happened last Wednesday. It was ROUGH. 😂 I am a big ole baby. I was off Eliquis for one day. Took Approximately 8 hours to get it to finally clot.
Colonoscopy appointment in late November. They want to see me before they give me the “bowel cleanser”. It has to be something about blood thinner. They might reject me but I will see. If they do, I will do the colon Guard.
October 31, 2022 12:27PM
My pacemaker I was off Eliquis one day and bled like a pig. I had a hematoma the size of an orange for 6 weeks. The surgeon wanted me to stop Eliquis for 5 days but dr Natale intervened and I resumed Eliquis after the surgery.

I then had a watchman deliberately because I had GI bleeding that lowered my hemoglobin too quickly. The GI dr doing the colonoscopy wanted me to be off Eliquis for one day before and three days after the biopsies so it was a benefit to get the emergency Watchman so I was able to hold Eliquis for 4 days and immediately afterwards go half dose. Getting the watchman was one of my best decisions I’ve made. It’s sealed (2 TEE confirmed) and zero ER doctors complained about me being on half dose Eliquis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2022 12:28PM by susan.d.
October 31, 2022 12:38PM
smackman
I will do the colon Guard.

One of the ingredients is dandelion root . You may want to google interactions with any rx you take.

[www.drugs.com]
[www.stlukes-stl.com]
[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
October 31, 2022 03:35PM
susan.d
One of the ingredients is dandelion root .

Ingredients of what? You don't ingest anything to do a Cologuard test.
October 31, 2022 05:26PM
smackman
I will do the colon Guard.

Amazon sells “colon-guard” supplements as a cleansing prep. It was unclear if he meant the prep or the test (cologuard”) without the “n”.

[www.cologuard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2022 05:28PM by susan.d.
October 31, 2022 10:24PM
I misspelled cologuard but it was obvious I was talking about Colon testing. Anyway…..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login