Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

afib and ocular migraines

Posted by anneh 
afib and ocular migraines
October 03, 2022 01:45PM
I recently noticed that twice within 12 to 24hrs of having an AF episode I got what is called an ocular migraine (seeing flashing lights etc in my eyes for a brief time). Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?
Re: afib and ocular migraines
October 03, 2022 02:29PM
no personal experience, but ...

Review in 2022: Migraine and atrial fibrillation

Or more generally ...

Similar articles for PMID: 34826198

or ...

Lone AFib and migraines

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2022 02:45PM by Kwilk.
October 03, 2022 06:13PM
thnx Kwilk yes links are very frightening which is why I was wondering if other afibbers have ocular migraines

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2022 07:27PM by anneh.
October 03, 2022 07:08PM
anneh
yes links are very frightening which is why I was wondering if other afibbers have ocular migraines

Yes, I have had them for years but not very often and not in direct time association with Afib. I had them daily after a atrial septal wall puncture (not during an ablation, rather the placement of a MitraClip). Others have also reported this after septal wall punctures during ablations.
October 04, 2022 10:08AM
My take of the literature is that it is common.
October 04, 2022 07:26PM
Daisy what is frightening me is that research shows ocular migraines can cause strokes so because of the danger of stroke with AF I feel like I have double the chance of having one in spite of being on Eliquis sad smiley
October 04, 2022 07:29PM
thnx Kwilk, as I mentioned to Daisy I am now frightened of having double risk of stroke sad smiley
October 08, 2022 12:04PM
I had regular migraines when I was young. I now have ocular migraines now and then. I did not get any headache pain when I had my first one, just the twinkly lights and temporary vision loss, I was quite confused.

My MD ophthalmologist told me that these are not of concern unless you get them all the time. Not associated with my AFIB. as far as I can tell.
October 16, 2022 09:09PM
My migraine with Aura started one week after my 1st ablation about 7 years ago. Was never a headache guy before that at all. Let alone aura where I lost my vision and rushed to ER thinking stroke.

They never went away but best treatment I have found is propranolol keeps them largely at bay after trying every other thing. Also keeps my HR lower which was a bit of an issue. I am about 5 years from successful ablation which was my 4th ablation and 1st with Dr Natale, NSR since.

I now take 60mg extended release Propranolol and largely migraine free after battling 2 to 3 a month since they started. It has also helped with a slightly elevated HR and spikes I continued to get occasionally that would not qualify as SVT but way more time in 90's and low 100's than was ideal.

So do I think a connection, of course, but you'll never get a straight answer or reason from a Neuro and EP's will only look at you odd when brought up.
January 23, 2023 05:48PM
I have had two Migraine Auras, the first one sent me to ER to be checked if I was having a stroke. After many tests and a CT Scan, they told me what I had, had was an Ocular Migraine. I have had one other since then, but that is all. When it happened the second time it scared me, but when I saw that "light bulb filament" I realized it was a migraine. This time I got a slight headache afterward, the first one I had no headache, just the Aura.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login