Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transcutaneous Vagal Nerve Stimulatioin

Posted by willsdw 
Transcutaneous Vagal Nerve Stimulatioin
August 27, 2022 08:36PM
Has anyone heard of Transcutaneous Vagal Nerve Stimulation for controlling AFIB:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

It is a non-invasive method of electrically stimulating the vagus nerve that's being shown to control or eliminate afib in some studies (see above). I never heard of it until I started doing some web searching today. My afib is vagally mediated, so it might work for me.

I believe the device is available for sale to whoever wants it without a doctor's prescription. Has anyone else heard of this?

Diane
Re: Transcutaneous Vagal Nerve Stimulatioin
August 27, 2022 09:05PM
willsdw
My afib is vagally mediated, so it might work for me.

Maybe I’ve got it backwards, but it seems to me that if your Afib is vagally mediated, you would not want to stimulate the vagus nerve. Mine is also vagally mediated and I can often convert by jogging in place i.e. moving into the sympathetic nervous system mode, and out of the parasympathetic mode (vagal).
August 27, 2022 09:37PM
Generally my concept agrees with Daisy.

Looking at Table 1, my guess is these folks are not vagally mediated (higher BMI, lots of comorbidities).
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

On the other hand, this seems benign enough and the vagus nerve covers a lot of territory, so if it were easy, it might be something I'd try.
August 28, 2022 06:38AM
I agree with Daisy too. Being a vagal afibber, quiet exercise can prevent afib while I'm digesting or resting. Any vagal maneuver is useless for me.
August 29, 2022 12:40AM
Reading the research most had many other diseases or conditions and the number of people in the initial selection was only 78 with a final number of participants of just 53.
August 29, 2022 11:19AM
There was only 1 vagal maneuver for me if you want to call it that......that stopped an ARRYTHMIA in it's tracks + it worked about 25% of the time.
That was a simple urination but it had to be within about a minute or so of onset then my heart went back to NSR.
The problem though was as most of us with this condition know your heart has a mind of it's own + within a few hours usually after that..... bang another 1 pops up + nothing you do will convert that one in that all important 2 min. or so window after onset to get your quick conversion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2022 11:20AM by vanlith.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login