Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

blood thinners/ massage therapy

Posted by bettylou4488 
blood thinners/ massage therapy
August 27, 2022 09:36PM
I had been having some issues (maybe heart maybe skeletal) and I went to a Rolfing session. This is somewhat/ not quite.. like a deep tissue massage. (It is deep but is very pin pointed at areas of muscle/joints. Not really like a massage rub.) I was relaying some of this to my cardiac nurse and she said that being on a blood thinner and deep massages are potentially an issue. I read a few past posts on this but not specific to blood thinners. I never bruise after these appointments. She mentioned "internal bleeding" but my I was talking to my son's doc and she said, "does she massage your stomach?" the answer was no. She also mentioned a clot could break off when she does this. Well isn't a blood thinner suppose to keep those from happening? I wouldn't care except .. I care. These appointments have been instrumental to my health in the area of pain reduction and ability to walk well and even to get in my exercising. It is possible this is what got me out of what I thought was heart issues last week. Today though my husband stopped fast on the highway and I jacked myself up. I want to go see her again for a tweak. Chiropractic never sticks for me. PT either.. at least not without this as well. Anyone have thoughts on blood thinners and massage therapy?
Re: blood thinners/ massage therapy
August 27, 2022 09:40PM
I had a 10 session Rolfing years ago. A friend who is now a DO was a Rolfer before. My wife still gets Rolfed regularly I'm guessing the Rolfer is addressing specific issues, not the 10 session "standard." I'd ask the Rolfer about your concerns. They may know.
Re: blood thinners/ massage therapy
August 28, 2022 07:59AM
Thanks George. I did do a 10 session (which actually we deviated from that even from about session 5 due to my issues). So yes specific issues. But they vary. I will ask her. I've been doing it for maybe half a dozen years. And I've been on blood thinners for 4 of them so.... Nonetheless I will ask her.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login