Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dental procedure no EPI. But feeling jittery

Posted by Poppino 
Dental procedure no EPI. But feeling jittery
August 23, 2022 12:16PM
Ive had no Arrythmia since my Natale ablation aug 2021. Today 8 am i had a crown replaced no epi but mepvicaine? Carbocaine?anyway been 4.5 hrs. No issues so far
I am feeing a bit jittery. Could be just me as i do overthink. Can a no epi trigger arrhythmia? Does my ablation protect me? Is there a way to speed it outa my system? 1/2,life is 2-4 hrs which im at now.
Re: Dental procedure no EPI. But feeling jittery
August 23, 2022 12:45PM
Hi Pop...had some teeth pulled at the dentist a few years ago shortly after my ablation + felt the same way after whatever they froze my gums with + your description of jittery is perfect. It went away shortly after the pulling when i got extra warm from extra clothing being put on for 15 min. or so.
That's all i can tell you from my exper. so bundle up + feel better.

BTW the best way to speed ANYTHING out of you system is to drink copious amounts of water.

GL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 12:48PM by vanlith.
August 23, 2022 12:54PM
Thanks V yes drinking water now!
August 23, 2022 01:49PM
Tom, in Oct 2020 had a infected root canal pulled with no Epi & she put in an implant. I put melatonin powder (with her permission) in my saliva and swished it around after (it is anti-inflammatory). I could feel the injected anesthetic wearing off as I left, but no pain. Then the implant didn't "take" (it was loose), so she removed it in Dec and cleaned out the hole with no anesthesia. Again I used the melatonin powder after. I told her I'd just curl my toes when the pain level was a bit much. Then the following June (2021), she put in another implant (after the bone was very solid). Again no Epi and again I used the melatonin powder. This implant was flush with my gum, so we let it sit there till February 2022 before a post was screwed in. Then the crown was placed in March and she did a gum graft on the tooth in April (again with no Epi). All is good and never any afib issues.

Without Epi, the anesthesia is much shorter acting.

She thinks I'm an unusual patient... but we get along famously as our views on how to approach health are aligned.
August 23, 2022 02:27PM
George i had no epi. Just uh. Carbocaine or novacaine ill ck. Doing zero wow idk id make it? George while we re at it here would you please send me in a PM info on how to start wim hof breath work and cold??? Id appreciate it. Im very interested
Tom
August 23, 2022 03:12PM
Poppino
I am feeing a bit jittery

Deep dental work can be a physical (and mental-emotional) trauma—I always need some self-care afterwards. I never have anesthesia with epi, but even without, some recovery is necessary.
August 23, 2022 04:05PM
I took a xanax before my last filing. it helped a lot winking smiley
August 23, 2022 04:17PM
Daisy & Betty thanks agree totally with both. I did take 1/2 .5 klonopin prior to the dentist
Therapy yes. Thats the key as worry fear emotions adrenaline etc are huge contributors. Thus my never ending search for mental calm and peace and why i asked George about Wim Hof. I read daily searching for reinforcement as im type A perfectionist people pleasing worrier over thinker. Sounds good! Its not
Thankyou
August 23, 2022 06:12PM
Your ablation protects you.
August 24, 2022 02:40AM
I don’t know…maybe it’s just my black cloud luck for iatrogenic screwups but I’ve been using the same dentist since 1977. He was a young kid then and was doing cleanings until he had enough patients. I was his only patient who he agreed to continue to clean until I found recently his new hygienist is as anal as me and spends 1.5 hours instead of the usual 20 minutes my dentist took to clean.

In 2004 when my afib began I told him to use linocaine without epi. The two bottles looked different. The epi bottle had a red strip and the “plain” had a blue or green stripe.

I’m mentioning this because my dentist I trained to automatically instruct his assistants to get me “linocaine plain”. Obviously being AType and persistent, I am my own 100% advocate for my health. I always doublechecked the syringe bottle to confirm. In all these years I caught the assistants messing up so I told the dentist each time and he told them off and tossed the syringe completely and got me plain.

Same with my dermatologist. I have biopsies up to every 6-12 months due to basal skin cancer. My dermatologist I also trained yet his temper to his assistants when I double checked the bottles and would find epi —not plain —has always been a more verbal reprimand when he told his assistants off.

What I’m saying is yes you may ask for plain without epi but you should double check the assistants are alert enough to follow doctors instructions by checking the vials. Be your own advocate.
August 24, 2022 09:26AM
What is EPI? I know I have a crown in my future. Thank you.
August 24, 2022 09:43AM
Epinephrine (Epi or Adrenalin) is one of the drugs EPs can use when completing a catheter ablation—they try to trigger A-Fib to check that their ablation scars for working. So dental local anesthesia with Epinephrine (Epi) potentially can trigger A-Fib.
August 24, 2022 09:45AM
I am well aware of the potential dangers of epi to the heart but sometimes a small amound is essential.

I had an infected wisdom tooth root from a 20 year old root canal. To clean it out the Endodontist said he had to use some epi to dry up the blood enough so his scope could see well enough to clean. I was still using Eliquis at the time as it was 3 months after my last ablation and of course the dentist didn't like that, etiher.

What ended up working was several calls among my Cardiologist, Dr. Natale's NP, my regular dentist and the Endodontist resulting in an agreement for me to inject Lovenox 48 hours prior to the dental surgery, the Endodontist to use 1/4 regular dose of epi and go ahead with the procedure.

Of course they had me wired during the procedure, which took probably 90 minutes, lasting longer than the carbocaine did, so there was some late procedure discomfort but I've had worse. No heart irregularities registered.

I did take 1 mg of Atival an hour before the procedure which helped but I wish I'd taken double that. Anxiety alays seems to intensify everything.

For GeorgeN, wearing a mouth tape during that procedure was a no-no. smiling smiley
August 30, 2022 06:21PM
Hmm, years ago before I had any idea that I had A-Fib, while just having a filling or something simple at the dentist, I got jittery and light and teary scared feeling and the dentist realized that I should not have something in the anesthetic which I guess was epi & he told me that whatever the other med was that they used just might not last as long. That of course scared me thinking that all of a sudden I was going to feel excruciating pain from the dental procedure at any moment even though it was not a big procedure. But he said to mark my chart not to give me the drug they 1st used anymore. I was thinking it was lidocaine. I will have to ask the next time I go to the dentist. I do think I have subsequently told them that I developed afib, for which I have had 2 ablations and everything’s OK now so far until my check up in a couple of months and I might find out there’s more.

I suppose I might have had a precursor to A-Fib for a long time as I was always extremely sensitive to caffeine and have always tried to stay away from it because of how it made me feel. Oddly though I had non-classic migraines since around age 9, and before they ever came up with Imitrex and subsequent meds like that for forms of migraine, the only thing that would really help my headache was an Anacin, an aspirin which had a lot of caffeine in it. I believe that constricted vessels that were swelling causing me pain. For years I went through trying to get my headaches diagnosed and it was never totally clear but a combination of vascular and non-classic migraines. Non-classic because my headaches were bilateral, had no aura, and I did not have to take to the bed and darkness for three days like I hear classic migraine sufferers undergo. The headache would go away after taking Anacin, but then I would get jittery and upset from the caffeine. It was a catch 22 for me for a long time. After menopause I have not dealt with those kind of headaches anymore. When I developed some other problems in later years and had to undergo brain MRIs, they were very fearful at first that I had an awful disease because of the white spots in my brain. All they had to do was wait for a period of time & do another brain MRI and saw that the spots did not progress and the doctor told me it was probably from my migraines (tho I feel uncomfortable even saying I had migraines because although my headaches were terrible and chronic, I did not suffer like those with migraines).

Sorry to have veered off topic a bit, but it was related to caffeine and A-Fib-like feelings that I had no idea of for years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login