Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dental procedure

Posted by pamleydon 
Dental procedure
April 21, 2022 11:31AM
Hi

I had a deep cleaning yesterday and went into afib a few hours later. The dentist did not use a numbing agent containing epinephrene,

Do any of you know wht might have triggered my afib? This is the seocnd time this has happened. Ususally I have no triggers and I have been doing well until I started this dental work.

Thanks,
Pam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2022 12:26PM by pamleydon.
Re: Dental procedure
April 21, 2022 04:49PM
A cleaning is going to cause some inflammation in the body because it can release mouth bacteria into the bloodstream, and inflammation is a well known trigger for afib.

And, of course, it could be random coincidence. I'd be more inclined to believe it's the cause if it happens a third time.
April 28, 2022 08:30PM
Maybe it was the stress of having dental work done. See if you can do a lot of deep belly breathing next time you are there to keep you calm and stimulate vagus nerve/parasympathetic nervous system. Deep cleanings are not a walk in the park moody smiley or maybe take a little GABA or L Theanine to calm you.
April 29, 2022 11:50AM
Hi Pam - Once I developed Afib long ago, my experience was that dental anesthesia that contained epinephrine did cause ectopics and sometimes, Afib. After that, if I needed numbing, I always requested w/o the epi. It's on my chart.
No problems after that, but I also rarely have dental issues that require anesthesia.

LaniB's suggestion to try L-theanine or GABA is what I use if I'm facing something that is likely to be stressful and I always find it helpful.

Jackie
May 01, 2022 09:10AM
Pam: I'm wondering if you head could have been in a position during your cleaning where your vagus nerve was pressured in some way causing a later reaction.

Best I can find is that vagal nerve stimulation can be either pro or antiarrhythmetic.

[www.sciencedirect.com]

Gordon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login