Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Back from Austin with a Watchman!
July 12, 2021 02:21PM
The whole procedure was easier than the flight to get there!! I am now in the Watchman club. (daughter's refer to it as a walkman). Dr. Natale did have to do a touch up to my LAA. He also used SiteSeal for closure of the incision sites. Previously, He used collagen plugs. They have been using the SiteSeal for about a year.
This is my first visit since the remodel. Patient rooms are much larger than the old ones (I had a tiny room the first time and a suite the second-not too sure how I rated that, probably Carey).

Genie.
Re: Back from Austin with a Watchman!
July 12, 2021 02:56PM
Awesome news Genie! Wow so are you off eliquis or not yet? What is site seal as opposed to the collagen plugs? I had a sony walkman! That was early 80s techology!! At its best. They strapped to your upper arm. Yellow
So glad it went well!!
Tom
July 12, 2021 03:11PM
Happy it went well!

Carey, I got a question. I was under the impression one gets a LAA ablation and has to wait for the swelling goes down before they go back to get the watchman. Otherwise one would double dip and get their LAA and watchman implant during the same procedure.
July 12, 2021 07:12PM
Welcome to the club, Girty! That suite is awesome, is it not? Did they have the mini-fridge stocked for you? winking smiley
July 12, 2021 07:14PM
susan.d
Carey, I got a question. I was under the impression one gets a LAA ablation and has to wait for the swelling goes down before they go back to get the watchman.

Maybe he did the Watchman first and LAA touch-up second. I don't think there are hard and fast rules on this. Depends on the specific patient particulars.
July 12, 2021 08:39PM
I had one of the new rooms this time. There are 2 suites. I didn't get a suite the time so no wine in my fridgesad smiley. Still the entire area is very very nice!! I felt kinda special bec I had the latest closure device. I even saw Natale twice!!
July 12, 2021 08:50PM
Hi Tom-Not off eliquis yet but I am on a half dose 2xday and a baby aspirin 1xday. I will be told when I return in about 6 weeks for a TEE which I will discontinue. It depends on the integrity of the closure device (watchman). As far as comparing the Siteseal to the collagen plugs. I had no issues with the plugs, but had to remain flat much longer and I was more tender at the sites. With the Siteseal you can sit up to 30degrees in recovery and be up much sooner. I have much less tenderness. Check out the video at ensitevascular.com
So sorry you had such a horrible trip to Austin, but glad you got to meet Dr. Natale.
Genie
July 12, 2021 09:19PM
Great news Genie. Happy for you!
July 13, 2021 12:32PM
Excellent news! Congrats, Genie
July 14, 2021 10:27AM
Personally, I would be ecstatic if I had a Watchman even if I had to continue Eliquis after the watchman procedure. My problem is I cannot stop Eliquis for a procedure such as epidural shots for chronic back pain etc. I need a Colonoscopy but I cannot stop the blood thinner.
I know the Lovacane procedure is a option for this but it is extremely difficult to get Doctors to go this route.
With the watchman, I could stop the Eliquis and not risk a stroke. My older Brother 68 years old had a stroke 2 weeks ago. He coded one time on Hospital. His right side and swallowing is all messed up. He has a damn feeding tube!
None of us want to have a stroke. It’s been Hell on earth for him. No underlying conditions etc.
July 14, 2021 05:09PM
smackman
Personally, I would be ecstatic if I had a Watchman even if I had to continue Eliquis after the watchman procedure. My problem is I cannot stop Eliquis for a procedure such as epidural shots for chronic back pain etc. I need a Colonoscopy but I cannot stop the blood thinner.
I know the Lovacane procedure is a option for this but it is extremely difficult to get Doctors to go this route.
With the watchman, I could stop the Eliquis and not risk a stroke. My older Brother 68 years old had a stroke 2 weeks ago. He coded one time on Hospital. His right side and swallowing is all messed up. He has a damn feeding tube!
None of us want to have a stroke. It’s been Hell on earth for him. No underlying conditions etc.

So sorry to hear the news about your brother. You have every reason to be concerned. My brother had a hemorrahagic stroke 6 months ago and he was on eliquis. Interestingly, he had an atrial clip when they did open heart surgery (2years ago)and somebody didn't realize he was still on Eliquis. It was the neurologist who realized it!

I've had both an ACL repair and a colonoscopy and was bridged with Lovenox. Dr. Natale approves the procedure and writes the script. It was very doable.

Once I reach the 6 week mark and have a TEE with good results I can be off Eliquis for up to 7 days if I need a procedure.
I am very thrilled to have a watchman. Check into it, maybe you qualify. It sure can't hurt to ask.
July 15, 2021 12:38AM
Very sorry to hear about your brother. I think people who aren't intimately familiar with strokes often underestimate just how devastating they can be. I see that on this forum all the time.

But I've got to agree with Girty that using a bridging procedure provided by a renowned cardiologist shouldn't be major problem for any doctor. If they're unwilling to cooperate with any of your other doctors, you need to just find someone else with less ego and more concern for you.
July 15, 2021 01:48PM
I agree Carey but I do not live in a big city so my choices are limited. I have been on the phone with Austin TCA. They told me about the bridging procedure and actually sent me a article via email concerning the stroke issue with a isolated LAA.
I might have to travel to Austin to get my Colonoscopy done. After seeing what my 68 year old Brother is going through, I will not stop Eliquis without a Doctor who is totally onboard with the bridging procedure.
Austin is a 8 hour drive but a Stroke……. My Brother is messed up; cannot swallow and his right side is very weak. He coded one time.
I will not play with my life.
July 17, 2021 12:26PM
Until you can find a doctor who's ego will allow him to cooperate with your other doctors, you could do a Cologuard test.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login