Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stopping flecainide after ablation

Posted by allen 
Stopping flecainide after ablation
July 12, 2021 01:10PM
^ 6 months post ablation, my second after the first one lasted for 13 years. It was suggested I drop the 50mg of flec twice daily. I have tried to do this twice and both times had quite a jumbled up sequence out of rhythm issues. It was quite a mix. As soon as I went back to the flec. things settled down. I still have occasions where my heart rate will jump up to 70 from its normal 54bpm but usually settles back in a minute or less sometimes 10 minutes or so. Anyone else have trouble getting off flec? I'm not sure flec even at 50 mgs. twice daily has a long life of effective use.

Thanks
Re: Stopping flecainide after ablation
July 12, 2021 03:32PM
If i were you i would stop it + let your heart stand on its own 2 feet....see where your heart is without any interference + for a good period of time also to find that out....you may not be giving it enough time before popping more Flec......you can always go back on it if your issues get to hard to deal with or better yet seek another path to get you heart back whole again other then the bandaid route....i would settle for nothing less then what you had for those 13 years of bliss even if it means some type of touch up or 3rd procedure but you will not know where you stand until you go cold turkey.
July 12, 2021 07:25PM
Hi Allen,

Not sure what a jumbled up sequence of rhythm issues actually means. It could just mean some harmless ectopics that might eventually go away on their own. The bump in heart rate from 54 to 70 means absolutely nothing; that's perfectly normal. Anyway, it doesn't sound like you're describing a sustained arrhythmia. So I tend to agree with Vanlith to give it more time. Put up with the annoying ectopics for at least a week or two before deciding.

Although you're right that flecainide has a way of becoming ineffective or even pro-arrhythmic sooner or later, this can be viewed as one of those "but it works for me" things. If it's working for you now and you don't find the side effects intolerable, there's no compelling reason to stop. But the other side of the coin is the day may come when you have to stop, so getting off it now would avoid that whole issue.

If I were you, I would stop it and put up with whatever ensues for the next two weeks.

And before anyone asks, I wouldn't taper it. I would just stop.
July 15, 2021 09:34AM
Thanks, all. Will talk to my ep again about this, but opinion seems to be I need to stop the flec.
July 15, 2021 03:15PM
Jackie had to wean off by shaving the pill more each time and gradually stop. I stopped cold turkey as well as others but there will always be someone unique that needs to be weaned. Perhaps you should wean off if it since you are symptomatic.
Ken
July 16, 2021 08:47AM
After my last ablation, a year and a half ago in early January, I was on Flec for two months (more or less typical). I had no issues or afib until April and May when I had a half dozen afib episodes. All were stopped with Flec as a "pill in a pocket" approach. Then nothing for the last year (no afib or meds). I carry some Flec with me at all times, just in case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 09:02AM by Ken.
July 16, 2021 10:56AM
I waited 12-14 months post ablation to stop Flec. I just couldn't bring myself to do it since every time I tried I would feel more ectopics and a little unsettled. At about the year mark I did get a sense that my heart had more fully healed. I know that's a very long time but it's just how it worked for me. Ectopics were getting less and less even on Flec. So I stopped about that time. Not much issue really but I did have to deal with some nervousness which probably added to some of the ectopics during weaning off. Week later, I was off, and that's been several months now. No problem. Maybe an ectopic here and there but that's it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 11:00AM by keeferbdeefer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login