Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Covid vax question

Posted by anneh 
Covid vax question
January 28, 2021 10:52PM
sorry if this has already been answered BUT is it safe to go ahead and get the vax? My local health dept just notified me I can get first shot on Saturday so I signed up for it but needless to say now feeling abit nervous about it altho I feel the vax is probably going to be the only way we can all eventually return to normal life. Just curious if any of you have successfully had it? I don't have any other health issues other than occasional AF (82y). thnx
anneh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2021 10:54PM by anneh.
Re: Covid vax question
January 28, 2021 11:04PM
You may get a sore temporary arm but it’s nothing to worry about. They will observe you for 15 minutes so you will be in good hands. I got a Benadryl pill from the dr afterwards but my mild reaction cleared up. I speculate getting COVID is worst than some mild temporary complaints of the effects of the vaccine.
February 02, 2021 03:54PM
I went ahead and had my first vax (Pfizer) last Saturday, just got a sore arm that first night but nothing else. Will get second shot later this month smiling smiley thnx for encouragement
February 02, 2021 04:02PM
You are lucky to get Pfizer. I tried but ended up with moderna.
February 02, 2021 05:39PM
Who know...it's early days.
Is it safe? Will it stop you getting a new strain of Covid? The virus is mutating all of the time so answering those questions is difficult.
But...if you are older or more vulnerable then it's a choice you need to consider. Covid has been deadly for many.The vacc may lessen your chances of expiring should you be unlucky enough to get it.smiling smiley
February 02, 2021 07:30PM
JoyWin
Covid has been deadly for many.

Indeed, and many who survived have discovered they didn't get off so easy after all. Read up on COVID long haulers. Many people with even minor cases of COVID have found themselves with debilitating syndromes lasting months, or possibly even indefinitely. Young, healthy athletes who had mild cases have ended up with heart damage, lung damage, eyes, nerves, kidneys... you name it. The virus can affect a bewildering array of organ systems. And the worse part is nobody knows how long these long-haul symptoms will last. It's possible the damage will be permanent. I have a friend who's in this boat. He came down with COVID last July, had a mild illness with cough and fever for a few days, then recovered and felt fine. But the next week the fever and cough reappeared, lasted a few days, then went away again. Until the next week, when it happened again. It's now more than 6 months later and he has not improved. Every few days his fever spikes again and the cough returns. And because he continues to be symptomatic, he's out of work. His employer won't allow him to return because of the symptoms even though he tests negative for COVID now.

So for those who say, "I won't take the vaccine because there are treatments now that will save me," I say you need to do a little more homework. COVID isn't just a survive/not survive question. It's a question of 1) whether you'll have a serious or mild case, 2) whether you will survive a serious case, and 3) whether you'll become a long-hauler no matter whether your case was serious or mild.

So no matter what your opinions of vaccines and such, the best (and only) way to maximize your odds of living a normal, healthy life in the age of COVID is the vaccine. Avoiding it because of some perception of risk of the vaccine is a complete misunderstanding of the risks involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2021 12:29AM by Carey.
February 02, 2021 09:23PM
Excellent post Carey!
February 03, 2021 09:48AM
For some, maybe half, the reaction to the second Covid inoculation, either vaccine, is more significant that the first.

The downside is that you may be feeling wiped out for a couple of days. The upside is that means the first inoculation is working as your body is building defenses to fight an invader.

Read in The Atlantic: [apple.news]

Gordon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login