Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gerolsteiner water as an Adobe Springs water substitute?

Posted by susan.d 
Gerolsteiner water as an Adobe Springs water substitute?
January 09, 2021 01:19AM
Gerolsteiner was on sale at Whole Foods/Amazon so I bought a case. To my surprise I read it is high in magnesium:
Per liter:
Calcium 345mg
Magnesium 100mg (I would have to drink a lot)
Bicarbonate 1800mg
Sodium 115mg
Chloride 40
Potassium 10
Sulfate 35
Other minerals 55

I bought a case back in March and now it’s next in line for my hydration. I drank a bottle once in April and remember going into my first AF afterwards after my index ablation but I didn’t make the connection. Could be a fluke. I’m highly sensitive to anything. It was delicious though.

Bicarbonate cardiac toxicity:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Is the ratio of magnesium and calcium correct/safe? I remember there is a preferred ratio. George? Will it work almost as well as a Waller water substitute? Or is it more like an electrolyte water (sans sugar) like Gatorade?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 01:34AM by susan.d.
Re: Gerolsteiner water as an Adobe Springs water substitute?
January 09, 2021 02:11AM
For me, I would not drink because of the calcium. Doesn't mean that is a problem for everyone, but it is for me. I'm limit my Ca++ consumption by having no dairy. I don't track, nor do I eat processed foods with labels or eat out, but maybe 500 mg/day is my limit.

Reading your linked case study, I'm not convinced I'd be sure it was the bicarb. There are a lot of red flags in his bloods.

I consume 4 g of potassium as citrate daily (dissolved in a liter of water and consumed over the day). As K citrate is 13% K by mass, this means I consume 26.7 g of citrate a day. In the body, citrate converts to bicarbonate at a 1 citrate to 3 bicarb ratio. So I'm consuming the equivalent of 80.1 g of bicarb/day and have been for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 01:50PM by GeorgeN.
January 09, 2021 07:16AM
All brands of bottled water I've found being high in Mg, here in W-EU, are high in Ca too. I don't think it's wise drinking this kind of water (for us afibbers) just to increase our Mg intake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 07:18AM by Pompon.
January 09, 2021 02:32PM
The Adobe Springs water you reference in the subject has 3 mg Ca++/liter and 97 Mg++/liter (p 13 [www.mgwater.com] ). This was one of the waters Erling looked at when creating his Waller Water recipe [www.afibbers.org] PC, MD wrote on the topic on the Adobe Springs site [www.mgwater.com]

As to the bicarb, in this thread [www.afibbers.org] from 2009, the bicarb in Waller Water in discussed. My post in the thread has links to more info [www.afibbers.org] and in Erling's post (as Anonymous User) [www.afibbers.org]

I still use these ideas, implemented with the K citrate I consume plus the magnesium I separately consume. Mainly because, for me, I need more magnesium than I would get with Waller Water. An alternative approach I've used is making magnesium acetate - which will also convert to bicarb in the body using a 2: 8 (or 7) ratio of pure (no additives except water) milk of magnesia to vinegar (I use organic apple cider vinegar) see [www.afibbers.org] I've also done this with pure magnesium hydroxide powder (the active ingredient in milk of magnesia). Poster ghg has a detailed document here [www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 02:38PM by GeorgeN.
January 09, 2021 08:04PM
Thanks, George, for taking the time to bring those previous post links forward. There's a lot of positive history with the use of the WW aka magnesium water... and I certainly have enjoyed the benefits of using all these years.

I also add additional supplemental magnesium to be sure I'm keeping my IC Mg in the range that keeps my heart calm... as well as the other benefits. I'm also particularly focused on the benefits of alkalinity and pH and the WW helps me maintain that as well. And, as you do, I also take additional supplemental potassium and also avoid intentionally adding calcium and am cautious about food content.

My heart remains very calm after my 2015 ablation and at my age of nearly 85, my blood pressure remains in normal range ...whereas so many my age are now on meds. My last bone density test results were so great that my Primary Care doctor said there was no need to continue testing.

Jackie
January 10, 2021 09:23PM
I first learned of Gerolsteiner when I lived in the Black Forest in early 90s. I had a bad diet at the time and a bottle or two of Gerol would get the pipes running again. Human drano without any drama.

My home water is now 4 stage reverse osmosis.

We used to also use a Zero Water but consumer labs reports the 'clean' water is full of microplastic particles.
January 10, 2021 09:38PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
My home water is now 4 stage reverse osmosis.

Curious if you remineralize?
January 11, 2021 03:38PM
I do not remineralize. They add some things I want like mag but also add things I don't want like calcium.

I am open to rethinking this.

Still in NSR so not eager to make any changes yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 03:55PM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
January 11, 2021 06:46PM
I’m happy NLAMA that you are still in nsr. Good news.
January 11, 2021 06:55PM
I agree about not adding the calcium via that water because it competes with magnesium, and the Gerolsteiner water's calcium ratio to magnesium is significant. More calcium than I'd want .. as compared to the Adobe Springs water (California) which is often compared as a good sub for the Unique Water out of Australia... or the WW version.

Average analysis of Adobe Springs shows - ​110mg/L of Magnesium, 5mg/L of Calcium, 450 Total Dissolved Solids,
8.8 pH

Jackie
January 11, 2021 07:13PM
Thanks Jackie. I will give the case to the construction works. I like them hydrated when on my roof.
January 11, 2021 10:49PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I do not remineralize. They add some things I want like mag but also add things I don't want like calcium.

I am open to rethinking this.

Still in NSR so not eager to make any changes yet.

I'm no expert. I do recall reading that drinking water without minerals can deplete minerals from the body. In one group I'm in, they make or purchase (like Fiji water) water with lots silica in it. When I questioned about remineralizing the comment was to make sure the minerals being added didn't have a bunch of aluminum in it. The silica will deplete aluminum from the body and there are associations between health and silica. The author I linked is a Harvard PhD.

I don't know the right answer here. I do make the high silica water using filtered tap water (though not RO). I also separately add 2 tsp of potassium citrate to a liter of filtered tap water.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login