Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endurance Exercise Can Damage Your Heart

Posted by Todd 
Endurance Exercise Can Damage Your Heart
August 12, 2020 02:57PM
We actually have 4 pacemakers, 2 min mark.

[www.youtube.com]

I searched the title on YOUTUBE and it has all kinds of video's related to AF.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 04:04PM by Todd.
Re: Endurance Exercise Can Damage Your Heart
August 13, 2020 02:31AM
As with most of things, excess is bad or may be bad.
August 13, 2020 09:14AM
The book was published in 2017. Bicyclist Leonard Zinn is a co-author. I contacted him in 2015 after a Velo News article about his afib to share info about our site as well as exercise and afib. We went back and forth with a series of 5 or 6 emails, but both of us were busy & never got together (he lives ~20 miles from me).

As I've previously posted, excessive endurance exercise was my path to afib 16 years ago. Fairly quickly, I concluded I should moderate my training and subjectively developed a sense of how much was too much. This has worked well as a piece my afib remission strategy. When my now 34 year old son-in-law presented with afib, I wanted to quantify my subjective limits for him, as he exercises, too. I came up with limits of Zone 2 (dealing with lactate levels), MAF (Phil Maffetone's 180-age heart rate limit) and nasal breathing. I have more details posted here. My hypothesis is that exercise at these levels don't have the cortisol spiking issues that more intense exercise does. That being said, for me, relatively infrequent short term intense exercise (HIIT, Tabatas) don't appear to be an issue. My issues are the product of intensity and time. Hence the short duration intense is OK, long duration exercise not exceeding the Zone 2/MAF/nasal breathing limits is OK. However long duration intense exercise is not good for me.
August 13, 2020 11:51AM
It's a tightrope for sure. Don't exercise and suffer consequences. Exercise and suffer consequences.

My father was very active and took some falls as a result died at 86. Wife's grandmother had horrible health (almost sits in the same chair for last 10 year) and still ticking. If I would have place bets on longevity, I'd put all my money on my pop. But as it turns out, not doing much of anything is very safe. (but I'd probably rather be hit by a Mack truck then to sit and worry for a decade).

The comments on Amazon about the book are interesting.

Eg. An anecdote: a fellow bike racer won a criterium (a hard circuit race) in the 80-to-84-year-old age group last year. Our team had put on the race, so I had the pleasure of presenting him with his trophy. A few days later, he passed away from what was described as a heart attack. He had appeared to be in excellent health when I saw him. I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't still be alive if he hadn't pushed himself so hard.

High intensity and troponin

[tidsskriftet.no]
August 13, 2020 10:16PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
It's a tightrope for sure. Don't exercise and suffer consequences. Exercise and suffer consequences.

My father was very active and took some falls as a result died at 86. Wife's grandmother had horrible health (almost sits in the same chair for last 10 year) and still ticking. If I would have place bets on longevity, I'd put all my money on my pop. But as it turns out, not doing much of anything is very safe. (but I'd probably rather be hit by a Mack truck then to sit and worry for a decade).

The comments on Amazon about the book are interesting.

Eg. An anecdote: a fellow bike racer won a criterium (a hard circuit race) in the 80-to-84-year-old age group last year. Our team had put on the race, so I had the pleasure of presenting him with his trophy. A few days later, he passed away from what was described as a heart attack. He had appeared to be in excellent health when I saw him. I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't still be alive if he hadn't pushed himself so hard.

High intensity and troponin

[tidsskriftet.no]

I would take your dad's & the Amazon anecdote guy's ending. Lifespan about = to Healthspan is my objective.

That being said, I think there is a way to optimize as I posted above. I first saw the "U" shaped benefit curve for exercise in 1990 in a study from Ken Cooper's clinic in Dallas (meaning it is a big benefit to get off the couch, but at the extreme right end of the curve, exercise can be detrimental). When I first joined the afib crowd, it took me a year or two to figure out competition was bad for me. Doing my thing at a calm pace has a lot of upside & little downside. My friend, Mark Cucuzzella MD, has been training using the MAF (linked above) protocol for ~20 years. He wrote a book about his approach. Mark says he always feels like he's loafing when he goes out and his objective is always to feel better when he comes back from a run. Amazingly, he's run 30 Boston's under 3 hours. We've talked about the troponin issue and, though he's not measured it, I'd guess the way the trains, it would be normal. The last time my troponin was tested was Jan 2019 and it was 0.4 pg/mL (lab wants it under 3.8). Now my test wasn't right after exercise, but I'd be willing to bet if I did test right after one of my typical workouts, it would be fine. If you scroll down on this blog post from 2017 in the lab, his AeT was 168 BPM, At was 170 BPM and MaxHR was 178 at age 50. Basically means he was still burning fat up to 168 BPM. His fat consumption was 1.9g/min - very high. Fat metabolism is much cleaner than glucose, hence the likely lack of cortisol issues (stress) for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 01:39PM by GeorgeN.
August 14, 2020 11:03AM
By random wild chance this popped up in another forum -

Interesting - [www.youtube.com]
August 15, 2020 12:05AM
Liked the vid, NLAMAF. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login