Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My GERD Cure

Posted by johnnyS 
My GERD Cure
November 05, 2019 12:18AM
I want to share some information about a supplement I discovered while dealing with gerd, which I suffered from at least 10 years. I recently got rid of H. pylori and initially I hoped that this would also eliminate my gerd but it seemed to actually make it worse, at least it felt that way. A couple of months ago my results came back negative from a stool sample and I thought it would be safe to go back and eat three meals a day with some carbs like organic pasta and potatoes, after all my heart was quiet for more than three months now. Wow, was I wrong, day two and gerd came back with some bloating and pacs as well but I knew if I kept burping it would relieve it and it did. I repeated this heavier diet for a week and it was awful but I had decided I wasn’t going back to PPI’s.

I stumbled on D-limonene, which my wife used a while back while treating her gallbladder stones. Doing a three-day detox cleanse and taking 1000mg of D-limonene for a month totally got rid of her stones and an ultrasound confirmed it.

Because of its gastric acid neutralizing effect and its support of normal peristalsis, D-limonene has also been used for relief of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). One day one, I took 1000mg after my heaviest meal and my gerd was silent, felt like I never had it. Day 5 I tried eating a really greasy meal and as long as I took two pills within 30 minutes, no gerd. I then decided to test this further and had some local Mexican food, which previously would have tortured me for days and still nothing. I have been using it now for a month and I can’t believe how remarkable this is for treating gerd. Where has this supplement been my whole life, nothing has ever given me this kind of relief.

I use the Jarrow brand in 500mg softgels

[www.amazon.com]

In humans, d-limonene has demonstrated low toxicity after single and repeated dosing for up to one year. Being a solvent of cholesterol, d-limonene has been used clinically to dissolve cholesterol-containing gallstones. Because of its gastric acid neutralizing effect and its support of normal peristalsis, D-limonene has also been used for relief of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

[www.cygnetenterprises.com]

A solvent d-limonene preparation was injected directly to the biliary system of 200 patients to dissolve or disintegrate the retained gallstones. The outcomes were: retained stones completely disappeared in 96 cases (48%); partial dissolution in 29 (14.5%); chelating agent was also used with partial dissolution in 16 (8%); ineffective in 59 (24.5%). To make this method more effective, several guidelines should be observed including an in vitro trial dissolution test. Cautious observation for possible side effects and frequent hepatic and pancreatic function tests during the treatment with this preparation also should be performed.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Re: My GERD Cure
November 05, 2019 03:03AM
It sounds like this is working for you! Thanks for sharing!
November 05, 2019 08:08AM
Thanks for sharing!

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

“ Abstract
D-limonene is one of the most common terpenes in nature. It is a major constituent in several citrus oils (orange, lemon, mandarin, lime, and grapefruit). D-limonene is listed in the Code of Federal Regulations as generally recognized as safe”

Considers it low toxicity and would be a dream for me with my GERD however I wonder if it’s orange grapefruit and other citrus fruit constituents would fall under an interaction with Eliquis Flecainide or Multaq that list citrus as an interaction...(see my recent interaction post)
November 05, 2019 10:36AM
johnnyS
I want to share some information about a supplement I discovered while dealing with gerd, which I suffered from at least 10 years. I recently got rid of H. pylori and initially I hoped that this would also eliminate my gerd but it seemed to actually make it worse, at least it felt that way. A couple of months ago my results came back negative from a stool sample and I thought it would be safe to go back and eat three meals a day with some carbs like organic pasta and potatoes, after all my heart was quiet for more than three months now. Wow, was I wrong, day two and gerd came back with some bloating and pacs as well but I knew if I kept burping it would relieve it and it did. I repeated this heavier diet for a week and it was awful but I had decided I wasn’t going back to PPI’s.

I stumbled on D-limonene, which my wife used a while back while treating her gallbladder stones. Doing a three-day detox cleanse and taking 1000mg of D-limonene for a month totally got rid of her stones and an ultrasound confirmed it.

Because of its gastric acid neutralizing effect and its support of normal peristalsis, D-limonene has also been used for relief of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). One day one, I took 1000mg after my heaviest meal and my gerd was silent, felt like I never had it. Day 5 I tried eating a really greasy meal and as long as I took two pills within 30 minutes, no gerd. I then decided to test this further and had some local Mexican food, which previously would have tortured me for days and still nothing. I have been using it now for a month and I can’t believe how remarkable this is for treating gerd. Where has this supplement been my whole life, nothing has ever given me this kind of relief.

I use the Jarrow brand in 500mg softgels

[www.amazon.com]

In humans, d-limonene has demonstrated low toxicity after single and repeated dosing for up to one year. Being a solvent of cholesterol, d-limonene has been used clinically to dissolve cholesterol-containing gallstones. Because of its gastric acid neutralizing effect and its support of normal peristalsis, D-limonene has also been used for relief of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

[www.cygnetenterprises.com]

A solvent d-limonene preparation was injected directly to the biliary system of 200 patients to dissolve or disintegrate the retained gallstones. The outcomes were: retained stones completely disappeared in 96 cases (48%); partial dissolution in 29 (14.5%); chelating agent was also used with partial dissolution in 16 (8%); ineffective in 59 (24.5%). To make this method more effective, several guidelines should be observed including an in vitro trial dissolution test. Cautious observation for possible side effects and frequent hepatic and pancreatic function tests during the treatment with this preparation also should be performed.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The dosage says 2 per day. Does that cover all meals or do you take it after a "bad" meal? Will try this for my husband.
November 05, 2019 12:48PM
I fast most of the time and eat only once or twice on most days, but usually I have one big meal a day so only take 2 pills 30 minutes after the meal and had no issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 01:52PM by johnnyS.
November 14, 2019 05:32PM
Thanks, Johnny. This is very interesting. Here's an article with an interesting list of references:

D-limonene, the Important Supplement to Relieve Heartburn, a Review (FixYourGut.com)

Regards,

--Lance
November 15, 2019 11:15AM
Has anyone found research on the dosage regime for d-limonene and GERD? I'm seeing repeated references to what appears to me to be a rather limited dosing of 1000 mg every other day for 20 days.

Google Search

Thanks!

--Lance
November 16, 2019 08:59AM
In the bottom part of the article you reference he writes this:

"I recommend most people take one to two capsules in the morning with breakfast, but if the supplement becomes too sedating you can take it with dinner."

Although I didn't see it in the article I'd guess he's recommending the 500 mg soft gels.

I've been trying that regimen for 5 days and so far my GERD might be reduced in intensity but is still there, mostly at night in bed, and treatable by a couple of TUMS.

Gordon
November 17, 2019 12:49AM
Lance,

I contacted one of the researchers in one of the studies I linked and he recommended no more than 1000mg with a meal daily for a month as a treatment and then to be used only as needed.
November 18, 2019 11:08AM
Thanks, Johnny. This is very helpful.

johnnyS
I contacted one of the researchers in one of the studies I linked and he recommended no more than 1000mg with a meal daily for a month as a treatment and then to be used only as needed.

--Lance
November 20, 2019 10:01PM
GERD ?? It might be helpful to preface posts by bringing the non-cognoscenti up to speed on what you are referring to.
Not a complete Nube to this blog, but haven't encountered this acronym previously.
November 20, 2019 11:54PM
IDbill
GERD ?? It might be helpful to preface posts by bringing the non-cognoscenti up to speed on what you are referring to.
Not a complete Nube to this blog, but haven't encountered this acronym previously.

You might find this helpful:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gerd/symptoms-causes/syc-20361940
Joe
November 21, 2019 02:03AM
Eating low carb allegedly helps many people to reduce/stop GERD according to Ivor Cummins (Fat Emperor)
November 21, 2019 03:09PM
Its not that simple, I haven't had any refined carbs for over 2 years yet the GERD is still there, some of us tend to produce more stomach acid and if you don't control it, it can have bad consequences. For example, my mom has many pvcs after a fatty meal if she forgets her PPI, but as soon as she takes it within an hour the pvcs disappear along with GERD. Sounds ridicilous but I repeated this test at least a dozen times. I even took her to a cardiologist on several occasions about GERD and according to him he has many patients that have this occur regularly when diets get out of control.
November 22, 2019 02:00PM
Regarding GERD and stomach acid etc., in this post reference, you will note links I offered in previous posts on this topic that help explain how stomach and digestive issues can be connected to cardiac problems including arrhythmias…

Jackie [ PM ]
Re: ectopics and indigestion
August 07, 2014
[www.afibbers.org]

Also the following is an excerpt from a report published in Townsend Letter by Steve Rochlitz, PhD which helps to identify the reasons why some cases of GERD and similar persist symptoms can cause a variety of issues including cardiac problems.

Hiatal Hernia/Vagus Nerve Disorder: a leading cause of allergies & chronic illness

The Lower Esophageal Sphincter or Schatzki's Ring

As detailed in my earlier article, the Hiatal Hernia Syndrome can (eventually) cause serious illness including respiratory and cardiac symptoms, and appears to be present in most sufferers of food and chemical allergies. (2) But some of these complaints may be caused by the so-called Schatzki's ring, and not the hernia itself. You can have either condition and not the other, or you may have both--as is common. Schatzki's ring is a disorder of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES). The LES acts like a valve between the esophagus and the stomach. Schatzki's ring may be thought of as a hardened, thickened, multi-fold, scar-type tissue. If this ring is present, the LES does not function properly. It may be open when it should be closed--causing reflux (GERD); or it may be closed when it should be open. The latter condition can then lead to food being trapped above the ring. There may be constriction. Trapped food or spasms of the esophagus can then cause serious problems including breathing difficulty (asthma, etc.) and tachycardia and other arrhythmias.

The LES (Shatzki's) Ring (as well as an Hiatal Hernia) shows up on X-ray (upper GI series) or during an endoscopy (EGD). Thus it is important to have either test if you have stomach complaints or food or even chemical or electromagnetic sensitivities. As stated in my previous article, once the Vagus nerve is under- or over-excited, the entire body is in great imbalance, and almost any organ can malfunction as many visceral organs are innervated by a branch of the Vagus (Para-sympathetic) Nerve. Also this can make the person sensitive to any environmental factor as well as possibly deplete or weaken the adrenal glands, thyroid or liver.

Some foods are more likely to get trapped (stuck) at the LES Ring, if present. These include breads and fibrous (tough) meats. Dry foods (like bread) can be a problem, but wheat, beef (or other) allergy may also be a factor. (Or this may be a purely mechanical problem, or contain elements of both allergy and mechanical anomalies.) "Steakhouse Syndrome" is the nickname Emergency Room personnel have given this syndrome when people come in with "high" anxiety, or respiratory or cardiac, or cardiac-like symptoms due to trapped food at the Lower Esophageal Sphincter.

Source: Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients Jan, 2004

Jackie
November 22, 2019 03:35PM
Jackie
Also the following is an excerpt from a report published in Townsend Letter by Steve Rochlitz, PhD which helps to identify the reasons why some cases of GERD and similar persist symptoms can cause a variety of issues including cardiac problems.

Rochlitz talks a lot about vagal issues. I bought a number of his books, but have had too much going on in my life to read them (since my afib is under control, it isn't #1 on my priority list). Here are some links to his site:

<[www.wellatlast.com]
<[wellatlast.com]
<[www.youtube.com]

He does think some of the stuff he talks about have a link to afib. We've had several email chats.

I chased down his info from a previous post by Jackie.

George
November 22, 2019 04:33PM
Jackie,

A year ago I thought I had LES (Shatzki's) Ring issue as I had bloating and digestive issues along with PACs so I just focused on treating the acid issue via diet instead of assuming the worse condition.

Also for those that have been diagnosed with LES (Shatzki's) Ring a study was published that showed successful treatment by using ppi’s to suppress acid and letting the LES heal over time. I’d always recommend H2 blockers instead of PPI’s but that’s only if your diet is healthy and contains very little refined carbs and sugar. H2 blockers are cheaper and show no long term side effects and are great for night GERD unlike the PPI’s.

[www.ajronline.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login