Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

34 days post Natale ablation, doing better

Posted by Madeline 
34 days post Natale ablation, doing better
September 05, 2019 03:33PM
Hi,

I wrote earlier "6 days post ablation," & thought I would check back in with current results.

My cough is better now, 5 weeks after ablation/anesthesia.

I am not sure if I ever said it here, but CXR revealed no acute findings, but evidence of paraseptal emphysema. I was a former, though moderate smoker for 27 yrs, but that ended around 1991, I think, which is ~28 yrs ago. Funny, on any physical exam where a chest x-ray was taken, no one ever said anything about these findings. Maybe they just showed up after the anesthesia. It has been maybe 10 yrs since I had any prolonged anesthesia other than propofol for a colonoscopy a couple of yrs ago & there was no problem. Anyway, I am happy that the cough is subsiding. I can take a deep breath in now without having so much spasm, and sometimes none! smiling smiley

In case it would be of help to anyone or to satisfy curiosity, here is how some of it went for me:

History Summary:

Cardiac ablation 8/2/19
Home on sotalol 80 mg b.i.d. like before & of course will be on Xarelto for a while
8/13: Stopped sotalol because of strange dry cough & paraseptal emphysema on CXR.
8/16: Start Inderal LA 60 mg q.d. by my cardiologist at home, for continuing help with hand tremors. (advised by Natale)
8/21: Tachycardia on EKG.
Pulse increased 8/21, 8/28 & 8/29 : 102, 94, 91 – also was just feeling racy.
8/24: Stop Inderal today cus of cough still, but got A-Fib
8/25 Restart Inderal
8/30 Restart sotalol but at reduced dose of 40 mg b.i.d. in addition to Inderal LA 60 q.d.
Pulse has slowed back down to 81-89 range 8/30 thru today 9/4, also feeling better.

History BPs since adding sotalol back 8/30:
106/73, P 85 on 8/31, & 103/73, P 85 on 9/1.

Not sure why I was feeling hyper those few days before adding the sotalol back in, but it seems to help. I guess it was too soon for me to get off of it, but the cough was really bothering me. The cough is milder now. I am tired during the day again though.

It is only 3 more weeks til I reach the 8-wk blanking period mark.

I also got my thyroid levels drawn this week & they are just like they have been for the last year pretty much, except when they tested my levels the day of my ablation & my levels were elevated. I did not know they were getting thyroid levels that morning & they had told me to take my thyroid meds that morning, so I did. This skewed the levels & just to have my evidence to back me up, I got my levels the correct way this week & they are fine like before. So I am not hyperthyroid.

After the ablation, I told Dr. Natale that I was partially on natural dessicated thyroid aka natural thyroid hormone & that when that is the case one takes their last dose the day before a blood draw & not again until after the blood draw next morning. There has to be time between taking the direct T3 & testing blood levels. Also TSH is not a valid indicator for thyroid status when taking NDT bec the pituitary is overly sensitive to T3 & TSH always comes back too low, as if in a hyperthyroid state, regardless of what the FT3 & FT4 show.

So, that is where I am now. Thank you, Group. This is the best support group I have ever been in & I have been in several thyroid & adrenal groups in the past due to having had a total thyroidectomy. Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login