Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

high calcium levels and parathyroidism?

Posted by George77 
high calcium levels and parathyroidism?
July 24, 2017 09:18AM
Here is an interesting article ... anyone know anything about this?

[blog.parathyroid.com]
Re: high calcium levels and parathyroidism?
July 24, 2017 03:16PM
Very interesting, a few years ago my Parathyroid was a little high, just a few points over the lab scale. In my blood work the parathyroid is always checked, it is around the high end. My calcium level stays the same year after year, it is around 9.5 never goes over 10.2 mg/dl so I guess I am ok.

Liz
July 24, 2017 04:06PM
I'm noticing my last three episodes of "elevated pulse rates", and the one ER visit with full Afib...were all preceded by having had dairy product of some sort the day before. I've been avoiding dairy, because I thought I might be developing a milk protein allergy. I read that ice cream, being made with cream, has very little milk protein in it, so I indulged in a small 3 ounce dish last night, after my daughter showed me the new flavor of vanilla-raspberry my wife bought....today my pulse is up between 88-90 and its normally been 68-72 the last few weeks...it makes sense, in regard to Diltiazem ..... Diltiazem being a calcium channel blocker, my understanding is that it lowers the calcium that reaches the heart....my blood labs in April showed "9.something" on the calcium, within the range, but towards the higher end... funny that in the ER 2 weeks ago, they didn't test for the blood calcium. My regular Doctor is open to checking these and had me do a BMR ( includes Potassium, sodium, calcium) along with an RBC-magnesium earlier today, results on Thursday or Friday......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 04:07PM by George77.
July 25, 2017 02:36PM
George77 - You may have a dairy sensitivity. That’s not uncommon although often rarely detected in typical lab tests. Organic dairy products often have less risk of sensitivity due to the absence of antibiotics and other chemicals fed to dairy cows to ward off infections and promote more milk production. Often, the sensitivity which is actually an outright allergy can also come from the casein (protein) component in all dairy. Two factors.

In addition to the calcium load that dairy offers, you also have a significant sugar load...both of which cause problems with magnesium so it's not strange or unusual for someone with afib history to have some heart activity related to eating dairy products, especially if your IC calcium is high and your IC magnesium is low.

There is a reliable test developed for astronauts during space travel that's been the topic of many previous posts... ExaTest by Intracellular Diagnostics.... that measures intracellular levels of electrolytes... magnesium, calcium, sodium, potassium, phosphorous and chloride.... and the relevant ratios such as magnesium to calcium, sodium: potassium, etc. It's covered by Medicare and some insurance plans; if not, out of pocket costs can be pricey. You can check the website to learn more if you have interest. (The test involves painless scraping inside your mouth, under tongue, with a wooden tongue blade to capture the epithelial cell samples for analysis).

1. Research has shown that sublingual epithelial cells correlate well with deep body tissues
such as heart tissue taken during bypass surgery and skeletal muscle biopsies...taken from
NASA volunteers. The 15 minute lecture series provides extensive information.

2. Epithelial cell ASEM analysis correlates with current total body tissue mineral electrolyte status.
EXA Test® is a high-tech, high complexity analytical scanning electron microscopy method,
(ASEM,) with computerized elemental X-ray analysis (EXA) or energy dispersive x-ray analysis

3. Buccal cells have a high cytoplasm to nucleus structure facilitating mineral electrolyte
analysis.

4. Epithelial cells offer a rapidly renewing, homogeneous cell population which reflects very
fast tissue changes and allows the physician to follow the patient's current metabolic physical
status.

5. Buccal epithelial cells are easily accessible providing a non-invasive specimen for use on
specially prepared slides.

Source:

Why use buccal cells? [www.exatest.com]

Home page - [www.exatest.com]

Jackie
July 25, 2017 08:45PM
Jackie,
Thanks for that detailed response. I do know about the Exa Test, I asked a previous Doctor about it in 2015, but he had no knowledge of it.
He was a good Doctor,( prior to being a Doctor he was a Biochemistry college professor so he was very open to the idea of checking the Rbc-magnesium when the cardiologist wanted me on a "calcium channel blocker" the obstinate cardiologist laughed it off and told me "there's no answer, and no magic vitamin cure, you need drugs") but unfortunately my good Dr. passed away from diabetes complications last year..sad, because he became a good friend..I've found a different Cardiologist who I get to see in September...he was a friend to my old family doctor, so I'm hoping he has a more expansive view on this topic...
I now have a new family Doctor who is very forward thinking, I'll ask him about the Exa test, but I'm fairly certain my insurance doesn't cover it... in abscence of that my new Doctor has agreed to continue a "standing order" for me to get weekly Labs done, checking my Rbc-magnesium and he recently added in a BMP to monitor my Potassium levels.....I usually go every other week, and have seen a slow rise in my Rbc-magnesium, went yesterday for the Potassium levels and will see them either tomorrow or Thursday...My last Rbc-magnesium read was at 5.2. It was in the hi 3.x something range in 2015, so 5.2 is getting better, I'm trying to get it over 6.0, maybe even 6.5, it's getting there....Thank you again, not only for your response, but for being so active on this sight, and I also thank Shannon and GeorgeN...this sight has been very helpful....
July 26, 2017 10:07PM
George,

If you are limited by bowel tolerance as to how much mag you can take, you could try (if you haven't already) external application of solutions of magnesium. You could use magnesium chloride, which in a supersaturated solution is called magnesium oil, though there is no oil it just feels oily. Also epsom salt. In this oil post of mine, there are links about this <[www.afibbers.org] You could just put it on your feet and/or legs.

Here is a link on making lotions & etc for epsom salt <[www.enzymestuff.com]

Also noticed a broken link in my first link. Here is the fix <[www.epsomsaltcouncil.org]

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2017 12:45PM by GeorgeN.
July 27, 2017 02:50PM
George77 - I certainly hope you are able to notice improvement with your enhanced focus.

Eventually, and if you don't make progress and yet still find that your RBC Mg is in normal range, you may want to consider splurging for the ExaTest since:

"RBCs are non-nucleated cells with incomplete metabolic path. RBCs do not use oxygen and only have glycolytic pathways (unlike fully functional Epithelial cells.)

Epithelial cells correlate with ion levels in muscles, cardiac tissue and also reflect calcium metabolism.

An Epithelial cell specimen under EXA Analysis provides data reflective of aerobic mitochondrial activity. Thus, test results how dynamic tissue balance of Mg, Ca, P, K, NA and Cl." From the ExaTest/Intraellular Diagnostics literature.

I wish you well with your new cardiologist. I can appreciate how difficult it is to lose your favorite physician. Condolences.

Best to you,
Jackie
July 30, 2017 12:37AM
Jackie, thanks for the response on this thread. I have noticed a definite improvement. My Potassium at last blood test was up to 4.2 ( from two weeks ago 3.9) and my RBC-magnesium is at its highest yet in two years at 5.2, so it is getting better...the "fluttering Afib" has been kept at bay....I do still have an occasional occurance of a high pulse rate if out in the heat minimally exerting myself....doesn't feel like Afib though...and I don't remember ever checking my pulse back prior to having Afib, while out walking in the heat, so I'm not sure if it's "off the chart" at 122, after walking about 3/4 of a mile (or slightly more) in 95 degree weather with a full dinner having just been consumed...or if I've always had it go that high? ....it took about 2 hours to go back to down 74 bpm ( BTW, I use a "Santa Mecical" oximeter pulse rate finger monitor to check my pulse)..Thanks again...
July 30, 2017 12:42AM
GeorgeN, thanks for your response...I've settled on 100mg of magnesium orotate in the morning and 600 mg of Remag Magnesium, sipped throughout the day...totaling 700mg per day. The bowel tolerance problem is NOT a problem at that level....when I went up to 1100+ I had too much of a lax effect, I have Magnesium gel, don't like the "stickiness" when using that, but I do use it occasionally, Magnesium bath is another I've done only twice, I might try that a few more times...Thanks for the response, I appreciate it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2017 01:06AM by George77.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login