Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

.???? PAC

Posted by tsco 
.???? PAC
December 08, 2016 10:24PM
Hey Evone! I'm still alive. June was my ablation with Natale so I'm around 5 mthe post...... I have some small bursts of fib or flut occasionally. My biggest notice is I have more episodes of pacs it seems. So something def changed there?? Did I see someone post that an increase in potassium was called for in cases of pacs? Ive religiously taken magnesium daily and occasionally take potassium. I just want to rid the pacs. I have thought of beginning metoprolol ? Just have put it off
Re: .???? PAC
December 08, 2016 11:11PM
From Hans: <[www.afibbers.org]

Could very well help to add potassium. As long as you have good kidneys, no reason not try it out.

As I recall, after his Bordeaux ablations, the good EP's there prescribed potassium for Hans.

George
December 08, 2016 11:12PM
Thanks George
December 09, 2016 01:07AM
I wouldn't take drugs for PAC's unless they are just really bothersome, and if I did I would start at a low dosage.
December 09, 2016 08:25AM
PACs, for a lot of us (myself included), seem to be a common aftermath of an ablation. Electrolytes and proper hydration are your best bet. Mine were real bad in the months after my ablation. Now a year and almost a half out, they are just hit and miss. Go figure. As long as they don't turn into AF, who cares?
Ken
December 09, 2016 09:53AM
For me, It's hard to define exactly what is going on. My PAC's, both before and after my ablation (10 yrs. ago), seem exactly like A-Fib, but only last 2-4 seconds. Since the ablation, and after finding this site, I have been taking Taurine, Potassium and Magnesium, and the frequency of the PAC's have lessened after taking the supplements. However, after a recent 2 hr. a-fib episode (4th in 10 years), my frequency of PAC's are increasing, so I have begun to increase my Magnesium (was just one 200mg tablet, now it is one in the am and one in the pm). This is still less than what seems to be recommended (4 tablets a day).

I don't know where all this will eventually lead, but trying to minimizing the PAC's seems like a good thing to do.

I should also add that about 25 years ago, I had PAC's regularly and they were diagnosed as a result of mitral valve prolapse, which later was proven to be false after my a-fib was finally caught on an EKG and diagnosed. So this means that PAC's have been ongoing for at least 25 years, before, during and after my a-fib.
December 09, 2016 10:00AM
Tsco - Post ablations, (three now) I've always gone back to my standard regimen of plenty of magnesium, lots of potassium-containing foods that are low-glycemic index, plus some supplemental potassium daily and the other Strategy nutrients including L-carnitine, taurine, CoQ10, d-ribose... and plenty of the WW daily.... and don't overload on high sodium or high calcium content foods.

There was minor PAC activity during the first couple of weeks post ablations but then settled down completely to NSR.

Jackie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 10:01AM by Jackie.
December 09, 2016 11:55AM
Ken - it's well known and in the literature that afibbers are found to be deficient in magnesium. (Probably other electrolyte imbalances as well, but the focus was on magnesium.) As you note, 200 mg is a very low dose.

Keep in mind there are many influences that deplete magnesium and from experiences here, we know that it takes heroics to optimize our intracellular magnesium stores. Serum evaluations of magnesium are not reflective of what's inside the cells where magnesium functions.

PACs means shortening of the refractory period or the resting time between beats. Typically when there is a lot of PAC activity, it's from low potassium. BUT.... adding potassium alone and especially in the presence of also low magnesium won't necessarily help the PACs or AF and can even make it worse.... so the rule is optimize Mg first and then the potassium.

Ideally, one would have the ExaTest intracellular electrolyte evaluation by IntraCellular Diagnostics to help guide repletion focus. Many previous posts on details can be found with a search here... or go to website of IntraCellular Diagnostics and read more.

[www.exatest.com]
[www.exatest.com]

Also for posts on PACs and the refractory period... do an advanced search for those words
Here are a few as a start:

[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
Conference Room 72 [www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
December 09, 2016 08:24PM
Ken,

I had PACs diagnosed with a Holster monitor when I was 25. Afib started at 41. It's no mystery. I had triggers in my PVs for all my adult life and I just got to the point where they started to take over.

The electrolytes will keep them at bay. Adjust accordingly.
December 12, 2016 05:39PM
I’m in third week of post Natale ablation and PACs are a big burden. They are at times painful especially when they are close together I had to take a sleeping pill at night.
I was prescribed Mutaq after the procedure but it made PACs worse and chest tightness, had to discontinue it.
I am taking 25 mg of Toprol ER and 360 Cardizem and things beginning to settle down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login