Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Optimal K+ levels to prevent Ectopics

Posted by The Anti-Fib 
Optimal K+ levels to prevent Ectopics
August 10, 2015 01:09PM
I know that it is known that taking K+ helps with Ectopy and PAC's. Is there a certain K+ serum range that in general we are supposed to shoot for? Or do we each just try to find our own optimal range, based on trial and error? Or do we use a NA+/K+ ratio, instead of just a K+ level by itself?

I was having massive Rythmic Pac's, with a K+ level of around 4.15
Now after raising my levels K+ levels to around 5.75, I seem to be doing better, but it is still to early to tell for sure.

Is this info listed in "The Strategy"? and where on this site do I find it? Dumb question, I can't seem to find THE STRATEGY.
Re: Optimal K+ levels to prevent Ectopics
August 10, 2015 01:36PM
The Strategy is about 10th on the list here <[www.afibbers.org]

For most who've posted here, 5.75 would be very high and not produce good results. I try to maintain serum K+ between 4.2 and 4.8.

The guys with the Cardymeters seem to find that above 5 is not a happy day for them (ectopic/afib wise).

I'm not sure I can drive mine higher than 4.8. I've taken upwards of 4-8 g/day of K+ as K bicarb. Results don't exceed 4.8, though I don't test that frequently.

George
August 10, 2015 02:25PM
Always remember that PACs etc... means the refractory period is shortened. This is a classic indicator of low potassium.

A couple of things to remember about potassium levels.... the serum measurements are just a snapshot in time... and can easily fluctuate up and down.

Very important is to keep in mind that elevating potassium levels when IC magnesium is not optimized, can make Afib or PAC activity worse instead of better. You absolutely have to be sure your IC magnesium is not low; otherwise the potassium only makes things worse. However, once the solid base is established, then potassium is the key player for NSR.

I agree with George that for most people, anything close to 5 or over is risky. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but the majority of people I know like to keep it around 4.5 - 4.8 and not much higher.

On The Strategy - when you start reading... keep in mind that I've often mentioned I neglected to include one of my main protocols... probably because it became such a part of my normal routine for so many years, I just forgot.... but that's maintaining an alkaline pH continually.... by using the WW and eating an alkaline-ash producing diet. Your heart just can't function properly without maintaining alkalinity which equates to voltage. Refer to the post titled:

Alkalinity, Healing, pH and Voltage – The Inside Story

Healing equates to the proper pH which is synonymous with proper voltage.

These are the clinical observations of Jerry Tennant, MD author of Healing is Voltage, whose remarkable personal healing story is worth noting because we can all take a lesson from his journey back to health. Most importantly, we can apply his principles to conditions that set the stage for LAF. This is the ultimate in Energy Healing.
Continue: [www.afibbers.org]

Also, while it's mentioned in The Strategy, I didn't elaborate on the importance for afibbers of having a vitamin D test... (25 hydroxy vitamin D). I've had a revision on the drawing board for a while now so probably it's time to finalize the update for the new forum.

Jackie
Anonymous User
August 10, 2015 03:36PM
TAF - some time ago you mentioned having had the EXAtest for intracellular (IC) electrolytes and their ratios (four tests?). In the results you would have read the inviolable relationship between IC potassium (K) and sodium (Na), the bottom lines in the provided results.

From your forum's Exatest Interpretation Guide [linked to earlier: [www.afibbers.org]

Potassium / Sodium
Range: (19 .4-38.9)
Active transport of K and Na [by Na-K pumps] produces major energy processes, normal cell volume, and is vital to ion transport, as well as producing the membrane potentials [voltage] for all secretory functions, neurotransmission, and neuromuscular activity [including cardiac of course] Serum potassium levels are not good indicators of tissue levels. This ratio is vital to establishment of homeostasis for normal function of intracellular biochemical events.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 04:39PM by Moerk.
August 11, 2015 09:36AM
Anti AFIB like Jackie alluded to I found I never had a triggering event when my serum K ( by cardymeter and by venous blood draw) was between a low of 4.2 and a high of 4.9

4.4 to 4.9 seemed to be the sweet spot for me where the heart felt very stable and calm.

Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login