Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Saw Palmetto safe for Affibers?

Posted by smackman 
Is Saw Palmetto safe for Affibers?
August 11, 2016 02:29PM
I just saw my Urologist. I got a good report on my PSA. It was 1.4.
He suggested I take Saw Palmetto for Prostrate Health; 900 mg 2X a day. My question is this; Is Saw Palmetto a safe herb to take for affibers or people like me who do not want to take known supplements that can cause PAC's/PVC's etc

Just looking for some information before I start taking this supplement.

Also, I ran it thru several drug interaction checkers on the web and found no drug interactions but I am a cautious person.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 02:32PM by smackman.
Re: Is Saw Palmetto safe for Affibers?
August 11, 2016 04:53PM
Not to be a parade rainman but a good number of years ago I took saw palmetto for prostate health for several years. My PSA was always, like yours, always very good and I eventually gave it up after reading several articles that said there was no definitive value in it for prostate health. I've not read of a peer reviewed double blind randomized study that showed it is effective but may have missed such because I was no longer paying any attention to the supplement. YMMV.
August 11, 2016 05:40PM
My Urologist uses it and says it works for him and several of his patience; He also said it did not work for some also. It was just a recommendation of his to try and help my CPPS. (Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome) or chronic non bacterial prostatitis.

I know these individuals on this board are smart and might know if it is a "bad" alternative for Afibbers.
August 11, 2016 07:18PM
Been taking SP for decades... have experienced no probs urology-wise... nor heart-related side effects.
I'm almost 68 yy. ;>)

/L
Sam
August 12, 2016 06:50AM
I've used Saw Palmetto with no problems. However a more effective way is to take Beta Sitosterol which is the active ingredient from Saw Palmetto. iHerb do a good version by Advance Physician Formulas.

Also check out [www.prostate.net] for more information on best supplements for prostatitis.
August 12, 2016 08:22AM
Life Extension has a huge sale on their prostate support product with 21 study references...

[www.lifeextension.com]
August 12, 2016 09:02AM
Upon recommendation of my Functional Medicine MD I've been taking a cocktail blend of Saw Palmetto, Beta Sitosterol and Stinging Nettle Root for perhaps 10 years for BPH and get up either one or twice during the night,not always to urinate but I do it anyway since I'm up.. My PSA is 3.6 and has been for several years. I'm 79 y/o.

I take all of those and whatever else I can get that way in powder form. Currently those include LEF Mix, Magnesium Theonate, Potassium, Taurine, a little Stevia for sweetness and whatever new supplement I happen to be trying for the month. Powder form costs less and saves a lot of waste; no capsules, bonding agents, die, neutral fillers, etc. And, there are certainly many fewer pills to take. To adjust the dosage to a tablespoon of powder thrice daily I add whey as necessary.

Gordon
August 12, 2016 04:11PM
I have read on many sites where saw pametto has blood thinner properties and not to take it when taking a blood thinner without your Doctors consent.
I take eliquis and a baby aspirin already.
Anyone else know about this property of saw palmetto?
August 12, 2016 04:53PM
August 13, 2016 08:26PM
Hi Smackman,

I have also read that you should avoid sp if on anticoagulants or aspirin.

There have been several studies showing the effectiveness of saw palmetto for bph. Many of these studies had problems and were of short duration so UCSF decided to do a 1 year study. The results of this study showed that saw palmetto was not better than placebo. The study can be found at

UCSF study

A second NIH funded study with more people and using different doses was performed in 2011 and the results were the same. This study can be found at

NIH study

Saw palmetto did not work for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login