Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Serving Size Change in Now Foods Potassium Gluconate Powder

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Serving Size Change in Now Foods Potassium Gluconate Powder
March 15, 2016 11:45AM
Many of us use this product and are very accustomed to 1 tsp providing 540 mg Potassium.

They've now changed their supplier and the material is lighter (though still 1lb in a larger container).

1 tsp is now just 350 mg Potassium.

Sam
Re: Serving Size Change in Now Foods Potassium Gluconate Powder
March 15, 2016 12:33PM
Sam,

I have continued to purchase the NOW Foods Potassium Gluconate following the change of suppliers. The supplement facts noted on the new larger bottle state serving size is 1/2 teaspoon at 270 mg of potassium from potassium gluconate.
One teaspoon would then equal the same 540 mg which was offered by the past supplier. I just viewed it as a labeling difference.

Regards
March 15, 2016 12:50PM
Sam,

My apologies for the above response. I do in fact have a newer lighter potassium gluconate in the larger bottle which I purchased about five months ago (I purchase 10 bottles at a time as three members in my family consume it daily) and which states on the bottle that 1/2 teaspoon equals 270 mg of potassium. I now realize, thanks to the information provided by you, that there has been further changes which I was unaware of.

Thanks for sharing.

Larry
March 16, 2016 07:35AM
Ummmmmm........if 270=one half tspn, then one whole tspn=540 mg. just like before, right?Ooops, before this they said one rounded tspn= 540 mg. NOW i see, i think.

PeggyM
Sam
March 16, 2016 11:39AM
Nope. Serving size of 1/2 tsp is now 175 mg.

Sam
March 16, 2016 12:39PM
I think the confusion lies in the fact that if you check iHerb's website for the NOW potassium gluconate powder, you'll see the dosage is still listed as 1/2 tsp = 270 mg... But when you order the product, you receive the new type of powder in which the same 1/2 tsp. delivers less potassium... or 175 mg. So now you have to do the math to get the dose you want with the new powder.... which means if you want the equivalency of the former teaspoon, you'll have to use 1 1/4 teaspoons to come close to the original 540 mg/teaspoon. I'd think that just rounding each measurement spoonful would make up the discrepancy between 3 x 175 = 525 versus the original of 540 mg.

If someone has the time, it would be good to give iHerb a head's up about changing the product page as it's now incorrect.

iHerb product page [www.iherb.com]

NOW website: [www.nowfoods.com]

In January this year, this discrepancy was discussed in another thread and at that time I wrote to NOW technical support to learn what had changed in the product that was behind the dosing equivalencies. I believe I posted this online but haven't looked to find it.

This is the response I received:

1/27/16

Jackie,
We have switched to a new vendor which provides documented non-gmo material.
The new material is lighter (less dense), thus less (1.1g vs older 1.74g) per ½ tsp serving.
The elemental potassium provided is still about 15.5-16% of total weight.

Jim G.
NOW Product Information Dept.
Information in this response refers to products labeled for sale in the U.S.A. unless otherwise indicated

Hope this helps,

Jackie
March 18, 2016 09:35AM
Thanks for the heads up Sam!

Shannon
March 18, 2016 12:12PM
Thanks for the heads-up indeed! Just ran out of NOW Potassium Gluconate powder, which was great as I just dumped a heaping teaspoonful into a glass of seltzer water and got my Potassium boost. I have been drinking Low Sodium Motts Vegetable Juice and LS V8; a 16oz. plastic beer cup full every day, sometimes twice a day, to get my Potassium lately and was about to re-order NOW Potassium Gluconate. Thinking I will still reorder as it is an inexpensive and effective way to get that Potassium which tends to slow and calm our hearts so well. Big white plastic bottles; usually three or four at a time, enough to qualify for the cheap shipping to Canada. It is NOT available anywhere that I can find it up here... they have a strict law about 99mg. in a capsule... anyone care to calculate how many capsules to get the equivalent to the powder? Well, don't bother. It is a meal with a slice of bread and some mustard.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login