Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MK-7 and Xarelto

Posted by spekkles 
MK-7 and Xarelto
March 14, 2016 10:02PM
Can I take MK-7 when I am on Xarelto
If memory serves me correctly - it was suggest on this Forum - that when taking Warfarin - it was alright to take up to 45 mcg of MK-7 rather than the normal 90 mcg. Does this apply to Xarelto as well....or is it a 'No No' on Xarelto ?
Thanks Spekkles
ron
Re: MK-7 and Xarelto
March 14, 2016 10:42PM
I took 45 and sometimes 90 mcg while on Warfarin for 8 years or so. I am now on Eliquis and am taking 90. I don't know about Xarelto.

During the time I was on Warfarin I became concerned about the bone loss that it causes in "some" men. I had a bone scan and sure enough, my bone mass was low. After trying to filter thru all the available information on increasing or at least maintaining what I have, K2/MK7 was an important supplement to go along with the calcium, D, and magnesium that I have taken these last few years.

If you don't have a Doctor that you feel will take the time to research any conflict, you might try your druggist. I find they are always willing to run a check for me when I ask.

Good luck with it....ronH
March 15, 2016 03:52AM
Thanks Ron....I'll do as you suggest.
March 15, 2016 10:27AM
Spekkles - I take Life Extension's Super MK7 with Eliquis and have no problems. This formulation has 200 mcg of MK7.

You can check at Life Extension's website for many informative reports on not only the Super K but also bone health in general... including this one: [www.lifeextension.com]

Jackie
March 16, 2016 06:05AM
Thanks Jackie....I'll definitely check that website and also know that I can up the dosage to 200mcg.
Spekkles
March 18, 2016 09:40AM
Yes Vitamin K2-MK7 and MK4 are perfectly fine to take with the new NOAC (now increasingly called DOAC for direct oral anti-coagulant) drugs even in larger doses as Jackie and I both take.

I took 200mg a day of K2-MK7 and 1000mg of K2-MK4 a day with Eliquis the six months I was on Eliquis with zero issues.

These new stimulus are not vitamin K antagonist and work but triggering and entirely different arm of the anti-coagulation cascade.

Be well,
Shannon
March 18, 2016 12:16PM
I'm still hesitant to take anything but rat poison (warfarin) and hope that I may come off it sometime soon. My late father had a horrible accident when he was 92 and was bleeding profusely and internally as a result. He was on Warfarin for decades. They gave him the reversal medications, the bleeding stopped and he survived. The doctors stated that had he been on the newer anticoagulants he would not have survived. So I am hedging my bets at the moment even if it is a pain to get the regular blood test(s).

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
ron
March 18, 2016 12:57PM
Murray, Pay attention to your bone mass. Warfarin in "some" men, contributes to bone loss. Losing bone mass is one of those things that just appear one day without much warning at all. A DXA scan is the gold standard to determine the bone mass.

I read someplace that it won't be long before reversing agents are available for the newer blood thinners. I take eliquis and don't worry at all about it.

...ronH
March 18, 2016 01:41PM
Thank you for that caveat Ron. Funny you should mention this. I had an accident almost two years ago and they have been doing MRI's, bone mass studies, scans, CT scans, you name it... as I managed to fracture my spine in three places. Bone mass seems fine; in fact things seem to be healing on their own but I have one more CT scan booked and then will be given the option of having ONE of the vertabrae cemented.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login