Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How much water and salt?

Posted by alexe 
How much water and salt?
December 08, 2014 11:44PM
Gentlepersons,

I have read many times about eight good glasses of water per day.

If we eat a lot of fruit for example does this lessen the need for water or 8 good glasses of water irrespective?

The other question is salt. I have zero added salt though no doubt it is included in some of the things I eat but very little.

I have no problems of high blood pressure et cetera. How much good salt should I consider per day?

Thanks

Alex
Re: How much water and salt?
December 09, 2014 01:42PM
Alex - there's an abundance of opinions on what constitutes enough water for adequate hydration. Many say to drink proportionally to your weight. Others say that's too much and you flush out too many electrolytes. Others say, drink when thirsty... to that comment, the rebuttal is... many people as they age find they no long become thirsty and become dehydrated with many adverse consequences.

Additionally, most authorities on the topic of hydration say that it has to be 'just' water... what's in coffee, tea, or soda doesn't count in the daily water tally.

We know that if your heart tissues become dehydrated, the chordae tendinae attached to the heart valves shrink and cause the valve not to seal properly so blood can seep and cause problems. So for that reason, I've always felt it's smart to drink some amount of pure, untreated water regularly so you don't risk that problem....even if you are not feeling thirsty.

And, when thirsty... always go for plain pure water rather than a soda or a beer. (I know, no fun!)

On the salt (sodium) consumption debate... again... a variety of recommendations. The body does need sodium as an essential electrolyte. The adrenal glands depend on sodium for function and without enough, we can feel weak.

The requisite amount is actually very low compared to what a typical person consumes in a diet when eating packaged, processed or commercially prepared foods which typically are loaded with sodium. There is a natural sodium content in many vegetables and much depends on one's intake of those as well.

If you read through the introduction of CR 72 ...the comments on the need for sodium (and potassium) are worth noting as they are offered by Richard D. Moore who is an MD and PhD biophysicist and author of "The Salt Solution"... who explains the fundamentals of the importance of both sodium and potassium but in the proper ratio.

Example:

Sodium (Na) and potassium (K) are critical nutrients, but today’s typical diet might supply 5 times the amount of Na,
and only 1/4th the amount of K that we evolved with. In our evolutionary past the kidneys became configured to
optimize the body's cellular Na and K levels by conserving the sodium available and by discarding excessive
potassium. Our kidneys have essentially not changed since then, but the typical diet is now upside down, with disease-
causing consequences for all cells and systems
Continue [www.afibbers.org]
December 09, 2014 11:31PM
Alex,

My guide is urine color - just a hint of color is my target. My diet is mostly raw leaves and non-starchy veggies with a little bit of wild caught shell or whitefish. As my diet has very little sodium, I add a bit with each meal.

George
December 10, 2014 02:32AM
George:

The color of urine also depends on what you are eating, I take Vitamin B tabs, and they make my urine more yellow. By the way animals have very yellow urine.

Liz
December 10, 2014 09:29AM
Liz,

I concur. B vitamins go through my system pretty fast. The yellow urine color from B vitamins is "bright" vs "dark" of concentrated urine. I normally don't worry about it unless I'm outside and active. Being hydrated is important for blood viscosity among other reasons, however overhydration can certainly lead to electrolyte depletion. Hyponatremia <[en.wikipedia.org] is real and can be very serious.

George
December 12, 2014 05:07PM
Jackie George Liz,

What are the most useful blood tests to take for sodium and potassium and to get their ratio

Thanks

Alex
December 12, 2014 06:40PM
Alex - for an immediate snapshot in present time, a serum (blood) draw gives the electrolytes.. .but that changes rapidly because of the dynamics of body function. However, for instance, if I go to the ER in AF, they typically do an electrolyte panel and I've noted that my potassium is almost always low in those cases. Low meaning low range for an afibber... because the typical standard lab range for example on potassium will be listed as

3.5 - 5.0 milliEquivalents/liter (mEq/L), or in international units, 3.5 - 5.0 millimoles/liter (mmol/L).

Another example lists - the normal range as 3.7 to 5.2 mEq/L. - mEq/L = milliequivalent per liter

And even if you are 3.7... they'll think your potassium is fine and you probably are not. Mine was 4.1 on one ER visit and when I saw that and made my "ah ha" comment, the ER nurse immediately brought me potassium tablets to take. I was thrilled because I didn't even have to ask or debate it.

I'll just relate a quick story about a friend who was hospitalized to donate stem cells to her brother. They were in a program devoted specifically for that process and it was an ordeal. Near the end of her donation time, she began to feel weird, then terrible, then panicked with a crushing feeling near her heart. She told them to stop immediately and they eventually did. She was prepped for release, but the nurse told her that although her potassium ...now get this was "normal" she should probably see her doctor soon. It was 3.5. So... I'm telling you this because quite honestly, it's a scary thing when a hospital nurse releases a patient with a potassium level that low and after just suffering frightening symptoms that appeared to be heart-related. (She's fine now).

So beware -- since afibbers are apt to be low in both magnesium and potassium, if your potassium turn up out of range or close to being out of range..and the range would be what WE know to be important for afibbers, make it known that's the reason for your arrhythmia. Just as I did. Elevated sodium would also be a big flag, especially if potassium were low which it probably would be since that's the way it works.

I've learned that if my potassium level is 4.1 or less, I'm in Afib. Proved that numerous times by lab testing.

My FM MD told me early on to try to keep my potassium levels around 4.5. That's where using the Cardymeter comes in very handy... unfortunately, when I could have used it, I didn't have one. There is a Conference Room session devoted to info on the Cardymeter... [www.afibbers.org]

You probably recall all the discussions about the Exatest which evaluates intracellular stores of all the electrolytes and analyzes their respective and relevant ratios... ie: sodium to potassium, magnesium to calcium, etc...
www.Exatest.com. That is the only true way to know about intracellular levels.. and remember, that's where these function... inside the heart cells.

Read also CR 72 about the function of the sodium/potassium ion pump function in atrial fibrillation
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
December 17, 2014 12:33PM
The type of water you drink may also be important. Recently I have been reading about structured water and its health benefits. Just google dr. Gerald Pollack. or structured water Interview with Dr.Pollack

I also found a interesting article about David Sereda structuring water by using the sound of the sun Conciouslife article

I am presently experimenting with this in an effort to heal my suddenly bad knees.

Cheers

Adrian
December 23, 2014 06:00AM
Watch your cravings. If you are craving salty foods that's an indicator that you might not be getting enough.
December 23, 2014 10:13AM
Adrian - good that you are focusing on the water issue. Consider that not only do you need to hydrate well continually, but also consider adding the WW concentrate to your drinking water for maintaining tissue alkalinity (pH) as that is extremely useful for preventing joint aches as well as bone degeneration.

You may also find relief with from the stronger curcumin (C3) Mervia which is antiinflammatory and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) which helps with achy joints. Anything you can do to reduce acidity and inflammation will help not only joints but is important for the entire body...and of course heart tissue.

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login