Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

eliquis and the cardiologists suggestions

Posted by alexe 
eliquis and the cardiologists suggestions
December 11, 2014 12:28AM
Gentlepersons,

I met the cardiologist for the first time and respected the fact that he listened to me and answered my questions properly and pleasantly.

He suggested at the age 80 and my transthoracic echocardiogram not much changed from many years ago to leave things alone as much as possible.

As a precaution I'm on a Holter monitor for 24 hours.

He suggested I take Eliquis as Pradaxa sometimes causes stomach upsets.

I'm not enthusiastic about taking the Eliquis as it will be the only medication I take but it seems sensible.

Any comments?

Alex
Anonymous User
Re: eliquis and the cardiologists suggestions
December 11, 2014 12:55AM
Hello Alexe, if it helps you any, i have been taking eliquis for maybe a couple years now and it has been completely trouble free so far. When i used to take pradaxa i had to be careful to eat maybe a pc of toast first, or else it gave me a bellyache, but eliquis has been free of that trouble. Once my pharmacy became accustomed to the idea that they would have to fill this strange request for me every month like clockwork,they apparently went out on a limb and ordered several months worth of it so as not to have to tell me every month that they would have to special order it and they would let me know when it came in. What they will do with that overstock when i die is not my problem. By that time they will have made enough money off it to justify their expenditure, i think.

PeggyM
Re: eliquis and the cardiologists suggestions
December 11, 2014 05:08PM
Alex - Are you aware of your other markers for elevated inflammation and blood viscosity that contribute to risk of stroke or MI as a result of thick, sticky blood? There are numerous past posts ...some quite recent... that you can access by using the search feature for archived posts by using that title... thick, sticky blood.

Age isn't the only factor of consideration that might suggest one should use an anticoagulant for the rest of your life so before you use or decide not to use... and if possible, consider having the Predictive Biomarker tests to help with your decision.

If your holter shows that you have periods of silent afib, then that's obviously another significant consideration on the pro side but if it's also coupled with elevated biomarkers, then you will obviously want to take appropriate measures for preventive protection.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login