Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What tests do you do when taking Nattokinase and fish oil. How do you know if you are taking enough. 

Posted by colindo 
Hi all,

What tests do you do when taking Nattokinase and fish oil.
How do you know if you are taking enough of both.
Does it thin the blood like warfarin?
Is it as effective as the other blood thinners.
Should you shop it before an operation?
Is there any instruction guide.
Colin

I replied to you on another thread but here's what I wrote:

It''s not easy to get tests done in UK but whenever I am in the US (about three times a year) I have a fibrinogen test. The results vary widely, which I don't understand. So I just guess, really.

At present I take 6 x 2000 FUs of Nattokinase a day. I take one capsule of fish oil which gives me 900mg of omega3, 647mg EPA and 253mg DHA.

Gill
Hi Colin,

Re: natural blood thinning methods, you need to know that no "conventional" MD is likely to accept that whatever you do is okay because to the best of my knowledge the only thing they measure is INR, which is associated with warfarin use. . However, once you get out into the area of "clinical practice" some functional MD's use it. They say that levels or 2.5 g/L or below, are likely to do the job. I've had good success lowering my fibrinogen using a combination of Cariokinasse, pycnogenol and curcumin. I have also been taking about 4 G of fish oil/day, which prevents your platelets from sticking...another strategy for preventing clots. There are various measurements associated with testing that...for instance total omega-3 blood scores, etc. Pursuing a natural blood thinning protocol is not for the faint of heart. It requires the assistance of a professional (in my case a knowledgeable naturopath) and regular testing, which isn't cheap. (Not to mention the cost of the supplements.. ) But I feel it's worthwhile.....However, I am about to start warfarin as my pre-ablation blood thinner....so well see.
Colin - as reported in the posts referencing 'thick, sticky blood' the High Sensitivity or Cardiac C-reactive Protein test along with Fibrinogen, Ferritin are among the top tests that measure factors that influence hyperviscosity....but not the only important ones.. Inflammation is typically causal. Conventional medicine does acknowledge the usefulness of the HS-CRP and sometimes fibrinogen.

As an example, because of my Epstein Barr Virus reactivation, one of the first clues was an elevated fibrinogen level which lead to further testing.

My protocols all through my afib journey were by natural means until the ablation protocols for anticoagulants. Prior to that and since the onset in 1995, I used all that was mentioned as aids to help prevent adverse clotting which results from 'thick, sticky blood.'

Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids or 'fish oils' in at least 4 grams a day was my first protocol along with optimizing magnesium although, initially, I wasn't taking nearly enough magnesium to help with anti-platelet aggregation.
Ginkgo biloba was added later on as well... since it is even more effective than aspirin without the aspirin side effects and several others focused on smothering inflammation and lowering the stickiness tendency of platelets.

After my first ablation and when I was off heart meds and warfarin/coumadin, I had an AF breakthrough that required cardioversion. Fortunately, I had resumed the nattokinase dosing because a week later, when I had a spiral CT scan of my heart for my checkback with Dr. Natale, it showed a clot had formed in the LAA. However, no one flagged that fact or informed me it was there. I learned of it some 6 weeks later when I requested a written report of the CT scan. We all presumed that by then and, thankfully, the clot had been managed by my natural protocols.

However, in light of Shannon's recent experience with clot formation and subsequent stroke while on Cardiokinase and other natural substances, it promts a cautionery a warning that you really do need to know and monitor all of those markers that are indicated to help avoid 'thick, sticky blood' ....especially anything that sustains ongoing silent inflammation and that could be as simplistic as an unknown food sensitivity that promotes inflammation.

It's very unfortunate that the medical profession does not emphasize the importance of damping down silent inflammation factors by natural means which includes dietary and lifestyle choices and natural antiinflammatories.

Among the easiest is the "Earthing" or Grounding practice we've discussed at length in the past to complement supplementation. Cardiologist Stephen Sinatra has written about his informal testing of blood viscosity of himself and colleagues before and after earthing sessions that showed remarkable improvements. It's certainly easy enough to do and inexpensive.

As we age, and we all are aging, it becomes important to be very aware of all influences that can cause adverse clotting as it can be risky to ignore the realities.

Best to you,
Jackie

See: [www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.grounded.com]
[www.drsinatra.com]
[www.drsinatra.com]

October 18, 2014 03:05PM
Thanks Gill, judianne, and Jackie for your replies.

I have been looking back some earlier posts and one that I am reading now, "fibrinogen test overall"
[www.professionalco-op.com]
Has some interesting information about lowering fibrinogen and cholesterol.
Did you know that taking a bottle of bear 12oz (approx 330ml) a day for a month can reduce fibrinogen by 10%, cholesterol by 27% and LDL by 25%.
I understand a glass of red wine a day will do the same.
Isn't that great news.
Cheers
Colin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 12:21PM by colindo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login