Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fast pulse rate 3 weeks after cryoablation

Posted by Barb Z 
fast pulse rate 3 weeks after cryoablation
October 16, 2014 04:33PM
On September 25th I had a cryoablation done. At first my pulse rate was in the 80's. Then it gradually atarted going into the 70's. I have a sinus infection for which I started taking an antibiotic 2 days ago. Today I checked my pulse and it's in the 90's. Schould I be concerned or is this because I don't feel well? Thanks for any info. Barb Z
Re: fast pulse rate 3 weeks after cryoablation
October 17, 2014 02:23AM
It's only been several days, but if it continues after you've ruled out other acute causes, like stress, or medication, then you should be aware that a faster pulse rate of about 10bmp over normal is a common side effect from having an Ablation. It should subside in 6-12 months. Others from the site have used a low dose of a cardio-selective beta-blocker called Bystolic (2.5mg) in order to bring the rate back down (if it bothers you.) This one one of those common side effects from an Ablation that they won't bother to tell patients about, because they don't want to scare you away from the lucrative profit-generating procedure.

I don't think it is anything to worry about other that it may make you feel differently with the Heart constantly beating faster than it otherwise would. You should ask your Doctor that did the Ablation about this if it continues.
October 17, 2014 07:21AM
Hi Barb Z and welcome to the forum,

It's perfectly normal to have a somewhat elevated HR rate for a period of time post ablation ranging from 6 months to 2 years at the extreme outside, though the later is quite rare a duration. And contrary to the cloak and dagger conspiracy motives suggesting EPs never mention anything about this, every EP worth his or her salt readily notifies every potential patient of this likelihood before an ablation, and reassures you ... just as I am now ...that it's not a big deal at all. As AntiAfib noted above, if it's bothersome one can take a low dose of the cardio specific beta blocker Bystolic starting at 2.5mg, or other low dose beta blocker, or a low dose calcium channel blocker like Verapamil or Diltiazem for some time until your HR returns to more or less normal. The rate will gradually lower over the course of however long the elevation persists in a given person

Since your rate has increased a bit sometime after the ablation, this latest increase could be due, as noted above, to stress, medication effect, too high sodium or too low serum/IC potassium, low grade infection etc etc and thus see if it doesn't return to normal and avoid caffeine for now as well.

And don't worry Barb Z about the temporary modest rise in HR as it's often associated as a sign of a more effective ablation longer term compared to one with little to no temporary HR increase. The pacing cells that were knocked out for a bit will almost invariably fully rebound and your resting HR will return right around where it was. Did your EP not mention this effect to you? It would be a surprising oversight if not.

Best wishes,
Shannon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 10:03AM by Shannon.
October 19, 2014 05:30PM
I want to thank The Anti-fib and Shannon for your replies. I was told that I could expect a higher pulse, but I guess in the 90's was more than I expected. Since then it has gone back into the high 70's and 80's. So far everything has gone well and I look forward to when I can stop the Xarelto and flecainide. This site has so much great information. Thank you to everyone. Barb Z
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login