Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

8 months post ablation

Posted by tsco 
8 months post ablation
October 04, 2014 08:25AM
Well I hit my 8month mark. All in all pretty good. I do have bumps here and there but not sustained until this week!!!
Traveled to DC and when I got of plane, of course rushing thru airport I had about a ten minute episode of something.
I am discouraged to a point. My EP did say give about a year because some flutter is common thru the scar.......
I don't know. Discouraged more than scared this time.
Let me ask and this may be in my mind. I started taking a multivitamin. Alive for men 50+. I think I have increased activity. Is this just a coincidence???
I swear I have started taking multis before and thought the same thing! Is it in my mind?
Also noticing on multis....why is there no potassium and minimum magnesium in multis?
Tim
Re: 8 months post ablation
October 04, 2014 09:27AM
Hi Tsco, good to hear you've bern doing so well, with the multi just stop it again and see if it settles down, if so persons try adding in individual nutrients like at most a good b complex in terms of a formula and then use individual nutrients to give a decent coverage of your daily needs to bolster your diet. Add in one at a time and you can then more easily identify the culprit in your case and , even though this takes a little effort and diligence, you might then be able to find a multi that excludes the offending nutrient in your case. There are even companies that customize multi formulas for you that are surprisingly not that expensive .

As for the flutter, typically at eight months you prefer not to have any breakthroughs so once you have ruled in our out the multivitamin trigger try to avoid that and hopefully it will keep things quiet. But regardless, if this flutter continues to make a nuisance of itself it is then very likely that your best bet is one last targeted touch up without excessive procrastination with the very best ablationist at tracking down these pesky flutter circuits and zapping them away to insure putting the lid on the kettle once and for all.

Hopefully it is just a one off here and triggered by a multi reaction, but in most cases, triggering of any real documented repeatable arrhythmia this far after blanking indicates a leak somewhere in the works. Sometimes, as in my case, we new about it right from the beginning after my ablation when Dr N had too stop just shy of eliminating my last flutter/yacht circuit at the end of my big index persistent ablation and yet I was quiet as a mouse food 10 months before the first flutter breakthrough.

Then I went 14 months with nothing at all and still no drugs on board, after the second flutter and same day ECV I went almost 8 full months with NSR before the flutters started to occur with an every 3 to 5 week regularity like clock work and I spent the next 16 months trying to put the genie back in the bottle myself with one exoeriment after another only to wind up with 14 more ECVs for all my effort efore making it back to at Dr Ns table where he promptly got rid of it all at exactly the spot he had predicted would cause me to need one more ablation some 4 years earlier right after the first one.

Yours is still self-terminating and short which is good. It is possible it will settle down and do consider dropping that multi for now and see if it helps. Just don't let any temporary disappointment, if the breakthrough happens again and you are 100% sure it is not just a run of ectopics, to dissuade you from giving Austin a call and pencilling in a consult and procedure the following day while you are still there and get it over with. Once you know for sure there is a repeatable flutter circuit open there, I don't know of any rationale for that to just disappear so long after an ablation has healed if you start having repeated episodes.

If it's still just a one time brief occurance it may just remain that and no more.

Best wishes Tsco
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 08:40PM by Shannon.
Re: 8 months post ablation
October 04, 2014 08:44PM
Tsco,
Good to hear from you and glad you've done well for eight months. It is possible you just had a run of ectopics. We just don't know. May I suggest you get yourself an ECG monitor such as the AliveCor monitor you can attach to your iPhone. Then you can record another such event on your ECG device to know just what is going on.

I'm 15 months post ablation and just recently had an episode of afib captured on my AliveCor monitor. It happened after being outdoors a couple hours in the heat on a riding lawn mower. Think it might be due to dehydration so am being more careful.

Best wishes as you continue to heal.
Betty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login