Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the salt talks, again

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
the salt talks, again
August 26, 2014 09:04AM
I would have let this article pass without comment, were i not continually engaged in reducing salt intake and increasing potassium intake, in order to keep afib episodes to a minimum. Since this topic is so vital to my own health and comfort, i post it here for others to mull over.

[www.nytimes.com]

PeggyM
Dee
Re: the salt talks, again
August 26, 2014 03:12PM
I live in Fl and sweat a lot when outside.. I found out I get dizzy if I do not ingest a little salt mixed with water
usually first thing in the morning.
August 26, 2014 04:22PM
Adequate salt is essential for good health and with too low levels it will really hammer your adrenal glands ... the dizziness you feel when dehydrated and sodium levels are too low is a good indicator of that.

The issue is now gorging on salt. And particularly refined salt, but any salt in excess is overkill and us not great for the cardiovascular system and overall health. The key us maintaining a much stronger ratio of potassium to sodium intake... Around 4 to 1 potassium
over sodium is a good healthy target.

But trying to address the high blood pressure and Ectopy issues by overly restricting salt is robbing Peter to pay Paul and not a smart idea at all.

Shannon
August 26, 2014 05:52PM
You need the right kind of salt, celtic sea salt not the table salt you find in the grocery stores. Dr. Brownstein has written a book "Salt your way to Health", He says that unrefined sea salt (celtic) contains over 80 minerals and elements -- all the natural elements necessary for life. Refined salt contains only two major items: sodium and chloride.

Dr. Brownstein says "How do you explain the higher risk of heart attack in their low-salt group? Low salt diets have been shown to raise fasting insulin levels. Also, LDL cholesterol levels have been shown to be elevated in individuals consuming a low-salt diet.

Patients do not feel well when sodium levels are lowered, their energy level drops and they develop hormonal and immune system imbalances.

Even on this board I have run into posters that advocate a very low salt diet, we need the right kind of salt along with magnesium and potassium.

Liz
Dee
August 26, 2014 07:31PM
Actually Jackie was the one who told me to take about 1/8 tsp of salt in the morning. And it does seem to work.
My adrenals were not up to par last year. We will see at the next test. I use Celtic salt. My choice.
When I was first diagnosed with afib 3 or so years ago, I didn't start to feel better until I found this site
and did a lot of reading and adding supplements. My events of afib are about one a year now. Hope I don't
jinx myself.
Thanks to all.
August 26, 2014 08:57PM
Dee:

Do you use more celtic sea salt throughout the day, or is that all you use--1/8 teaspoon, that isn't very much.

Liz
August 26, 2014 09:43PM
Dee, most people with low adrenal function require at least 1.5 grams of high quality salt, such as Celtic salt and a few others. Sometimes up to 2grams just make sure you maintain that 4 to 1potassium intake advantage over sodium.

Also, for low adrenals insure at least 3grams through the day of high quality Vitamin C such as the best LivOn Lypospheric Vitamin C packets which are 1gram C embedded in a gram of phospholipid compound as a liposomal base. Also a strong B complex with coenzymated forms of the B Vitamins and with extra doses of B6, B12 and B5 Pantothenic acid as well.

Certain adaptogenic herbs like Ashwagandha, Holy Basil, Cordyceps and Rhodiola Rosea can really help boost adrenal function if used consistently for three to six months.

Best wishes with it all,
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 01:37PM by Shannon.
August 27, 2014 02:11AM
The 4:1 K:Na ratio that Shannon mentions comes from Moore's book: <[www.amazon.com] Sodium requirements should be considered in light of the person's diet. Moore also points out that higher insulin levels associated with a high-carb diet signal the kidney to conserve sodium and excrete potassium.

A 4:1 K:Na ratio (on input) signals the kidney to reverse and excrete sodium. Likewise a low carb diet in the range of 50g carbs/day or less also signals the kidney to excrete sodium. This effect is so profound that the advice from low carb researchers is to supplement with 2 or so grams of sodium per day if you are in this situation.

George
August 27, 2014 04:15AM
I'm going to weigh in here to say that, basically, Salt is Salt. Elizabeth writes: "Dr. Brownstein has written a book "Salt your way to Health", He says that unrefined sea salt (celtic) contains over 80 minerals and elements -- all the natural elements necessary for life". I say, great - better to have them than not, but I don't think the trace amounts of other minerals are really very significant in the scheme of things (you get them from other foods and supplements, etc.). I'd estimate that Brownstein's claims fall about 92% of the way towards Snake Oil on the Sound Science/Snake Oil spectrum (true in essence, with greatly exaggerated significance). That is my take anyway (BTW, my wife buys the unrefined sea salts)
August 27, 2014 04:39AM
Ralph:

All salt is not equal, you can believe what you want to, no problem. You do say that you can get your minerals from supplements, that could be snake oil, a lot of people on this site have taken and believe in lots of supplements to stop their AF episodes, in the end most opt for an ablation, even those writing about certain supplements that we should take, yet they too have ablations.

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 04:41AM by Elizabeth.
Dee
August 27, 2014 02:09PM
Thanks everyone for the tips.
Shannon, how would grams equal to teaspoons?
August 27, 2014 03:12PM
Dee,

According to the package, 1/4 tsp = 1.5 grams celtic sea salt. This equals 480 mg of sodium <[www.amazon.com]

George
August 27, 2014 04:35PM
Elizabeth - here is a link to the amount of minerals in Natural Himalayan Pink Rock Salt [www.saltnews.com]
Consider that you are probably eating at most 2 grams of it, which is 1/500 of a kg. I'd like to know what mineral other than sodium and chloride registers as even a remotely significant intake at that level. Admittedly, I haven't done the math because it seems obvious to me, but I will if someone shows me that there is even one mineral that you get 10% of the RDA of when ingesting 2 grams of natural salt (other than sodium and chloride).
Again, I'm not saying that it isn't "better" than sterilized salt. Just nowhere as significant as what is apparently proposed by Dr. Brownstein or whoever
August 27, 2014 05:09PM
Ralph:

Celtic Sea Salt contains 33% sodium, 50.9% chloride, 1.8% minerals and trace elements and 1.4% moisture.

Chloride 50.9% Zinc .00275 %
Sodium 33.0% Copper .00195%
Sulfur 0.820% Erbium .00195%
Magnesium 0.441% Tin .00192%
Potassium 0.227% Manganese .0018%
Calcium 0.128% Cerium .00172
Silicon 0.052% Fluoride .00192%
Carbon 0.049% Rubidium .00084%
Iron 0.012 % Gallium .00083%
Aluminum 0.0095% Boron .00082%
Praseodymium 0.0029% Titanium .00079%
Strontium 0.000257% Bromine 00071%

Refined salt contains only Sodium and Chloride.

liz
August 27, 2014 06:05PM
Ralph... when discussing minerals from 'natural' forms of salt, the operative word is "trace" elements and amounts. Certainly, one gets the major elements (sodium and chloride) in abundance, but the trace elements vary depending on the source of the product. Evaporated sea salt is one form; mined minerals from ancient sea beds and rock formations is another...and so on.

Be aware that in one of the Fluoride Informative posts, it was stated there is a significant amount of natural fluoride in the pink, "Himalayan" salt... although apparantly, there are no salt mines in the Himalayas but rather, Pakistan. "The chemical composition of Himalayan salt includes 95–96% sodium chloride, contaminated with 2–3% polyhalite and small amounts of ten other minerals. The pink color is due to iron oxide." [en.wikipedia.org] The fluoride content is not typically labeled.

When it comes to a healthy amount of sodium intake, refer to CR 72 which discusses the importance of the proper ratio of potassium to sodium in the function of K/Na ion pumps and what that means to the electrical conduction system. As we know, the majority of people are otherwise unaware of or do not have concerns for electrolyte imbalances that affect heart function and arrhythmias and seem not to be concerned over sodium intake or the value of trace minerals or the imbalancing potassium. A relatively small amount of sodium is needed for proper adrenal function.

Iodine is the important element that is often missing in refined salt as even added iodine evaporates quickly. It's not always present in significant quantities in 'natural' forms of salt, either.

Jackie
Dee
August 27, 2014 11:17PM
Thanks George and Jackie.
Dee
August 27, 2014 11:19PM
Liz. I was taking it just in the AM but often add it to eggs or tomatos during the day.
August 28, 2014 02:02AM
My point Jackie and Elizabeth is that natural salt doesn't contain some magic amount of minerals. You eat about 4 grams a day of salt tops hopefully, maybe 1/100th of your food. You get trace and major minerals in the other 99% of the food you consume too!. It just isn't a big player when it comes to minerals because it isn't a big part of your diet.
August 28, 2014 09:34PM
Any recommendations on a good salt to use? I was using the Himalayan sea salt, but if that's contaminated, I will ditch it immediately. Maybe Celtic Sea Salt??

John
August 29, 2014 12:05AM
Get the Himalayan sea salt in the form of Salt Lamps. When they are lit up in the dark, its amazing.
All kinds of health claims with Salt Lamps.
But they are unique and attractive no matter.
Search Salt Lamps on Ebay, just to see all the shapes and sizes they have.
They even have USB powered Salt Lamps.
They make beautiful Xmas presents, which is virtually around the corner.
P.S. Don't add salt to your eggs or other high cholestrol foods.

P.S. again
There is close to 2000 results for Salt Lamps on Ebay at the momment
If you search Ebay for the Salt Lamps, don't buy the 1st one you come to.
Look through a lot of them & try to go for the ones with Free Shipping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2014 12:10AM by Todd.
August 29, 2014 08:22PM
Just curious, why no salt with high cholesterol foods? Thanks for the Salt Lamp recommendation. Silly question, but , do you just smash pieces off it or what?

John
Anonymous User
August 30, 2014 08:50AM
belated reply to the grams to teaspoons question: here is a site that does just that.

[www.convertunits.com]

PeggyM
Dee
August 30, 2014 07:13PM
Thanks all, a most informative post.
August 30, 2014 09:05PM
John21

The Himalayan salt supposedly has flouride in it. Don't use it in your diet. Just look at it in the form of a Salt Lamp.
You've probable done researched it a little bit, and seen some of the health benefits of having them. Negative Ions etc.
Your pets will probably want to hang around them when they are on, also.

Carey Reams said not to be afraid of eating eggs. It was when you add salt to your eggs, the salt causes the chlolestrol in the eggs to clogg up your arteries. So why not do the no salt thing with other high cholestrol foods ?
Here is one of his books in free pdf [www.biri.org]
Plenty of Youtube video's about Carey Reams and his methods and theories.
Of course Quackwatch does'nt like anything about Carey Reams, if you Google him.
August 30, 2014 10:01PM
I think you are joking Todd, but it isn't clear. I'm not sure any response you make to this will make that any clearer : )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login