Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternative to LSV8?

Posted by James77 
Alternative to LSV8?
April 26, 2014 08:41PM
Hiya,

I am looking for an alternative to Low Sodium V8. While I really like the stuff, I am jumping on a strict paleo diet and I want to limit the sugar and tomato(potential inflammatory in my diet). I am not sure if doing this is overkill and I should just keep up the daily LSV8(about 12-20 ounces a day I drink.

I do not have regular AF. I get it every year or two, sometimes for minutes sometimes requiring a hospital for the ol' electrical jump. I drink the V8 usually regularly, and I do feel it has calmed a sometimes "jumpy" feeling heart. It is really difficult to gauge what works and what does not when it is so infrequent.

Anyways...are there any other options that would get me a quick fix of potassium or magnesium? Or should I just not worry about the realtively little amount of sugar and possible tomato? I have a condition called psoriatic arthritis...certain foods trigger inflammation, though some I do not know and I would like to try an elimination diet.
Re: Alternative to LSV8?
April 27, 2014 06:54AM
I use about 500 mg of potassium glutamate with a dropper full of ionic liquid magnesium in about 16 ounces of water, and sip it throughout the day. That seems to work just as well to keep the PACs at bay.

John
April 27, 2014 08:19AM
Hi John21 and James77,

John, I think you are referringto Potassium gluconate and the most convenient and inexpensive form of it that I know is from Now Brand supplements that you can get right here through our very own Vitamin Shop - Now Potassium Gluconate powder.

But please, once you have seen this link above please first go back to the main 'Vitamin Shop' link at the top left of this page and once you access Iherb.com from this link your initial purchase using this link and typing in the code 'HAN990' in the Referral Code box will get an extra $5.00 first time discount off of an already discounted main Iherb price and it will also help defray the cost of maintaining and running this website and message board and is much appreciated.

Just go to the "Atrial Fibrillation' sub-link within the Vitamin Shop main link above and you will find the Potassium Gluconate direct order link again from which to make your order and that also helps us out .. a win-win all around. Be sure and order several of the 1 pound bottles of Potassium Gluconate at one time to save on long term shipping costs as you will go through it, plus when you order more than either $50 or $100 at on time you get a significant further discount added to your total order which comes in handy as well, so stock up and save more along the way.

Take up to three teaspoons a day in divided doses over the course of the day and evening along with chelated magnesium and the other suggested supplements in The Strategy- Metabolic Cardiology article found under the link above on the right hand side of this page named 'AFIB Resources'.

Good luck with it James.

Cheers!
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 01:21PM by Shannon.
April 27, 2014 09:17AM
You're right Shannon! My Bad.

JJ
April 27, 2014 10:02AM
James - You can also consider buying potassium citrate tablets or capsules to carry with you when away from home during the day or if you travel. More convenient than the gluconate powder... although by law each can only contain 99 mg so you'll have to take 5 to approximate the dose in the bulk powder. Very inexpensive. I always use both forms.

The citrate form has the added advantage of helping to prevent kidney stones.

Jackie
April 27, 2014 12:54PM
James, another alternative to LSV8, one that I use is Coconut water. One 520ml can of Sun Tropics pure coconut water from Costco contains 460mg of potassium. Unfortunately it also contains 11 gm of sugar which you are trying to avoid. Another alternative "No Salt" is a salt NACL replacement product KCL that is made with potassium instead of Sodium. 1/4 tsp has 650 mg of potassium in it. i use it liberally on my morning eggs and just about any dish that I cook that requires salt.

Cheers

Adrian
April 27, 2014 01:36PM
Hi Shannon,

I went to place an order with iherb through the vitamin shop and didn't receive an extra 10% discount, any idea why?

Colin
April 27, 2014 05:43PM
Thank you all for the replies.

Which has more effect on calming a jumpy heart or possibly stopping an AF attack.....potassium or magnesium? I know the LSV8 is high in potassium from using potassium chloride as a salt substitute, but does it not also use magnesium chloride?
April 27, 2014 07:15PM
No magnesium in LSV8 from Campbells LSV8 nutritional content
April 27, 2014 08:15PM
Oh. smiling smiley

Haha, here I was thinking it was loaded with it, I have no idea where that came from. Well, at least I know K helps greatly for me then.
April 28, 2014 01:51AM
Hi Colin,

I'm not sure and will have to look into it starting tomorrow and will get back to you. I'm
still learning all the ins and outs of some aspects of the site too
Since starting to take over management four months ago and need to verify just how the mechanism of that feature works as well.

Thanks for letting me know Colin. Will get back to you as doom
as I can sort it all out over the next several days.

Take care,
Shannon
April 28, 2014 09:20AM
Hi Colin,
It seems that I was mistaken on the additional discount from Iherb being and added 10% on top of their already discounted supplement prices, but rather it is a fixed additional $5.00 discount for first time users of The Vitamin Shop link on our site. I recall getting the $5.00 discount when I first ordered via the store on a supple to order of around $45.0o and I suspect that is where the 10% added discount figure seemed to be the case.

Plus the added discount is for first time users of our AFIB link, and yet all more orders after that first one had been for multiple items at a time for which, it turns out, the addition discounts given by IHerb on such orders exceeding a given dollar value is simply coming from them whether or not you order subsequent orders via our vitamin shop link. That is where I made the wrong assumption of an ongoing additional modest discount on top of their published already discounted supplement prices for each separate item.

But that added discount is strictly coming from IHerb when you order multiple items and/or exceed a set dollar amount. Their policies are subject to modification too so check each time you order.

Also, for that first order Colin, did you use the special code 'HAN990' in the Referral Code box after clicking on our Vitamin Shop link? That is necessary in order to earn the fixed $5.00 added one time discount, so please do that step next the if you have not already.

Apologies too Colin for the confusion and for my mistaken impression of how this discount worked. Since taking over this website a few months ago there has been a steady diet of new things to learn about how it all works and I trust I'll be starting to turn the corner on that steep learning curve pretty soon, just not quite yet it seems.

In the meantime, I'll correct my post above mentioning a 10% added discount to eliminate any further confusion. Do keep in mind that ever order you place does go to help defray the cost to a degree if running our website and message board and that you can still earn a nice added discount via ordering more items at once via IHerb on each order and not just a one time deal.

Thanks again for bringing this error to my attention Colin.

Cheers!
Shannon
April 28, 2014 09:34AM
Adrian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..."No Salt"... i use it liberally on my morning eggs and just
> about any dish that I cook that requires salt...

> Adrian

Been using this product as a complete substitute for salt for a l-o-n-g time.

At first, some may notice a little bitterness or after-taste. But after a while it dissipates.

/L
April 28, 2014 11:24PM
LS V8 is a juice "spiked" with potassium chloride. Some find potassium chloride hard on their stomach, however you can spike anything you want with potassium chloride. Here is a link to the bulk product. I created the link going through the vitamin shop <[www.iherb.com]

1/8 teaspoon = 365 mg potassium, so 8 oz of LS V8 has the equivalent of about 1/4 tsp of KCl powder.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 11:26PM by GeorgeN.
April 29, 2014 09:42AM
There is also a potassium bicarbonate supplement in capsule form...by Life Enhancement, Potassium Basics, 240 Capsules that delivers 1053 mg in 2 capsules. The elemental amount of potassium in 2.7 g of potassium bicarbonate is 1.05 g. Take with meals.

I like this form of potassium because it's portable and you can easily carry with you during the day and use when eating out. One capsule gives you approx 500 mg which is often just enough to augment a meal.

[www.iherb.com]

Note that potassium chloride has been known to cause stomach irritation so proceed with caution.

A more tolerable form also from iHerb is NOW brand potassium gluconate powder. 1 teaspoon provides 540 mg of potassium.

Another more gentle form is potassium citrate although I'm not aware of a source for the bulk powder so tablets or capsules are limited to 99 mg each.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login