Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crying on the Afibbers shoulder

Posted by Poppino 
Crying on the Afibbers shoulder
October 17, 2013 09:46AM
Yes I had 14 great months of no afib post ablation, then yesterday 2 hrs 20 mins in dental chair...3 shots and 4 hrs later bam!

But just lately

My 86 yr old dad diagnosed throat cancer
My mom died of uterine cancer last Feb
My health insurance is now going from 775 a month to 1780! incredible, absolutely incredible
At 60 I still run my own business
My son still at Univ of Miami, a Jr and brutally expensive
My wifes parents are 95 and 94 and about to kill us, they live in StL
I have no one to help with my dad, no one
then I still walk the afib tightrope

any wonder I had an episode??

Tom
Re: Crying on the Afibbers shoulder
October 17, 2013 11:15AM
It seems like it always piles up at once, doesn't it?

We can't do much of anything about what goes on around us, but we can try to deal with our own minds. Sometimes it even works....LOL...but seriously, look at ways to calm the mind... lots of books on the subject.

Look at the bright side...you probably have a small break somewhere in the PVI lines...not enough to sustain afib in the long run like before...? You didn't say how long your episode was. (edit: I saw in another thread it was 5 hours...which means you still self-convert pretty quickly which you didn't do before your ablation, right?) You won't be in a dental chair that much...and next time you know what to do in that regard. So now you know you need to continue to avoid triggers (which I plan to do forever). I'd bet your afib burden is likely to remain very small as time progresses, and you may find it is not even worth a redo. If it becomes a problem a redo is much easier on the body - mine was no big deal at all.

In a few years you'll also be on medicare, and your medical costs will drop.

Hang in there, bud.... things will improve.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2013 11:22AM by Tom B.
October 17, 2013 12:54PM
Tom.

I always ask for the numbing agent that they give to heart patients if I need to have dental work done. It doesn't last as long but I have never needed a second dose. I get anxiety with the regular stuff. I'm sure that could lead to afib.

I'm so sorry to hear of all the stress in your life. Aging parents can be an emotional rollercoaster. Take Tom B's advice and try to look at things in a positive light. Think of all the years that you and your wife have had your parents in your life. My dad is also in his 90's and I am so grateful to still have him. I know it's a bit selfish because I believe he truly is ready to go. Most counties in my area have agencies that can help take people to the doctor and arrange extra care. Is anything like that available that could help you.

I have you in my heart and wish you relief from your stress.

Venting to this board is a wise decision. These kind people will support you.

Debbie
October 17, 2013 07:38PM
Funny watching CNBC right now and they are talking about the hidden skyrocketing costs of the new healthcare plan that the administration is trying to keep from the public.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2013 08:02PM by McHale.
Anonymous User
October 17, 2013 08:43PM
Tom:

My 86 yr old dad diagnosed throat cancer
My mom died of uterine cancer last Feb
My health insurance is now going from 775 a month to 1780! incredible, absolutely incredible
At 60 I still run my own business
My son still at Univ of Miami, a Jr and brutally expensive
My wifes parents are 95 and 94 and about to kill us, they live in StL
I have no one to help with my dad, no one
then I still walk the afib tightrope

any wonder I had an episode??

You are very fortunate to still have your father, my father died when I was a baby. My son died at age 32 of an accident, I raised two step children, one died because of a botched surgery at age 26, the other stepson was murdered by the stepson he raised also my stepgrandson was murdered. My husband ran his own business until his early 70s, he has passed away as well. Health ins. is becoming more and more expensive, Obamacare is a horrible thing, most Americans do not want it, we do need changes in our health Ins. but this isn't it, people are very frightened of what is happening in our country, I have never seen it like this.

I am only posting some of my past troubles, maybe just to tell you that you are not alone, things do get better, you learn that there are things that you have no control over, you have to accept it and realize there are things that you can be thankful for. You will solve your AF problems, it is a glitch in your road, others have said that they have had more than one ablation and are living well.

Wishing you all the best
Liz
October 17, 2013 09:53PM
You have more than enough on your plate right now I wish you peace

Laura
October 18, 2013 06:24AM
thanks to all of you, nice having this outlet to vent and dry some......feeling a little guilty....so many others worse off than I and many more past history issues.......thanks to all of you for being there....and YES I HATE OBAMACARE .......period.........

Tom
October 18, 2013 10:44PM
Hi Tom,

You aren't saying your increase in insurance was an Obamacare policy are you?!? Its my understanding that the government sponsored exchanges just started offering those policies, even though with a poorly executed roll-out, and thus, if I'm not mistaken your issue must be with a pre-exisiting health insurance private or company related policy that you already owned and its premium is being jacked up on renewal, is that right?

Just looking for clarification here to what kind of policy you are getting the shaft over now? Though not really interested in the whole political equation at the moment as no doubt most of us are pretty fed up and jaded with the topic by now, particularly after the last few weeks fiasco and circus in Washington.

Shannon
October 19, 2013 02:19PM
Tom,
Sorry to hear of your setback. Sounds like you have more than enough stress right now. That was always a trigger for me.
FWIW, I also pay my own health insurance. My premium just went up to 1340/month with a $2500 deductible for my wife and I, $5000 total. I have an open mind regarding Obamacare at the present time. Can't believe all the media hype. I know of one fellow afibber who was not able to get insurance because of pre-existing conditions who can now get affordable insurance beginning in Jan. I have gotten back $1000 in the last 2 years from my insurance company because of the law. Also the lifetime limits have been removed and insurance companies can not refuse or drop coverage. I just set up an account so I don't know if I can get insurance from the exchanges or how much it will be.
Maybe you can get some klonopin or similar from your Dr. to help with the stressful situations. Helped me.
Best of Luck!
Chuck
Anonymous User
October 19, 2013 10:17PM
Somebody has to pay for this Obamacare, because the country is broke, they are thinking that the young, healthy people will be doing it, but most of them will probably not buy the insurance but opt to pay the penality. Some of the people that are signing up (that is if that is possible) said that they thought the ins. was free when told it would cost them some money, they didn't want it. Obamacare is not affordable, I believe it is in 35 states that their health insurance is going up, some 3 times more cost. Somebody has to pay for all of the stuff they have put into this healthcare insurance, funny thing, Insurance companies backed this bill, they knew they would be raking in the money, which they now are.

L
October 22, 2013 11:34PM
Tom - I can identify with a number of stresses that you've had.... My much loved Aunt died this Spring, and soon afterwards, my Uncle. We had our dog of 13 years put down this summer, and 2 of our cats died too (we had 4). My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer, and we have been spending a great deal of time at doctors, and then getting radiation. He will get a CAT or PET scan again in about 4 weeks, and we will have a better idea of how the radiation worked. As he has stage 3 lung cancer, there is a big question mark as to what to expect. I worry about money and how or if I will be able to stay in our home, should things go the badly.. Our daughter moved in with us after college, and our son is looking for a job in the legal field, as he will be finishing law school in the Spring. There aren't many jobs in law these days, and he will be coming out with huge loans. I worry about that a lot too.

I'm telling you this not to see "who has it worse", but to let you know that many of us are dealing with all kinds of stresses, and sometimes it helps to know that you are not alone. We can 'vent" and we can share ideas of what has helped. I'm sorry for YOUR challenges as you do have some difficult ones. Very sorry also to hear about your mom - and now your dad's illness. Having financial burdens to boot, does keep us awake at night....but somehow, we usually make it through...and I hope that that will be true for you too.

For me, I find talking about my fears and concerns with those who I trust and are close to, helps. Exercise also helps quite a bit too - well known that it can relieve stress and improve mood - can you fit some exercise in most days of the week? I know Jackie likes L-Theanine for calming the mind and body...have you tried that?

You are one person, Tom, and you can only do so much. Take care of yourself first, do what you can, and consider a phrase that I have heard and have been using lately, "let go, and let God". If that's not your belief, than perhaps just trust that things will happen as they should.

Finally, dont forget to BREATHE...slowly, deeply, and oftensmiling smiley Hang in there ~ Barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login