Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bruits sounds

Posted by Jackie 
Bruits sounds
October 17, 2013 09:07AM
One of the most easy, non-invasive beneficial exams your healthcare practitioner can do when listening to your heart with a stethoscope (auscultation) and it only takes a few seconds more, is check each side of your neck in the carotid artery area. Sounds there called Bruits sounds (brew–ee) and can indicate carotid stenosis or blockage. Variations in the sounds may be indicative of other abnormalities in the cardiovascular system in different locations. But as we age, carotid artery blockage becomes common and often, people don’t know of it until they have a TIA or a stroke, so this simple measure is a great preventive medicine screening tool.

My recent, routine Fall appointments and the Lyme treatment consultations last year involved seeing a number of doctors. I was impressed that both the EPs checked the Bruits as did my PCP who is a D.O. Both my holistic MDs routinely have always done that because of my afib history… dating back to 1995. I recently had to change to a new DO and that wasn’t done.

Curious to know if your doctors routinely do for you.

Jackie

Neck auscultation is commonly indicated for initial evaluation of stenotic or embolic cerebrovascular symptoms, or as part of a comprehensive physical examination in asymptomatic patients at risk for atherosclerosis. Cervical bruits and hums may arise from neck arteries or veins, and may be innocuous findings or indicate underlying pathology. Bruits arising in the carotid arteries are produced by intrinsic stenosis or, occasionally, with vascular occlusion from extrinsic compression. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Re: Bruits sounds
October 17, 2013 09:18AM
Always, J.

Also assess other abnormal heart sounds... murmurs, gallops, etc.

/L
Re: Bruits sounds
October 17, 2013 11:58AM
Had a sonogram on the carotids last check-up, all clear.

Thanks, Randall
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login