Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hi all and a few general comments

Posted by mwcf 
Hi all and a few general comments
March 23, 2013 07:48AM
Hi folks,

Not been around here much lately compared to how much I used to be.

Looked in today for an hour or so and read a lot of posts and attachments. Ordered the 'Eat to Live' book Montos mentioned - I never really have got myself on the straight and narrow diet and weight-wise. I just love eating and drinking so much! Or maybe it's just that I think I do and my brain and body can be educated/convinced otherwise?

One thing overall that came across today here on the forum was what I rightly or wrongly see as a touch more pessimism as regards dealing with AF. As in just how multifactorial it is. Or damned difficult in other words! Seems like EPs and folks here are now talking about ablations as very much a temporary fix/delay in the normal course of progression of the disease. Seems like maybe efficacy of ablations has now peaked with not much more room left for improvement without a quantum breakthrough/leap in technology. And definitely no longer referred to as a 'cure'. I never thought it was, but even so there does seem to be a bit more of a gloomy vibe on the forum than there used to be. AADs are ultimately toxic and/or ineffective, and ablation is 'just' buying some time/getting off the AADs/reducing stroke risk. It seems that the optimism for ablation ultimately being the cure (FIRM etc.) seems to have evaporated somewhat recently? Apologies if such views seem a bit clumsily/unfounded - it's the the impression I got.

As for me, LAF runs in my mother's side with her and both her sisters having it (as did their mother). My mother started in her mid 30s although she didn't go permanent until she was 70 (now 75). As such, I rightly or wrongly feel that thinking I can eradicate my LAF with lifestyle/diet improvements/alterations is pretty much impossible, although such measures can only help - if not with AF directly then with a lot of other age-related conditions and perhaps even AF indirectly.

I first had AF in my late 20s I'm certain now looking back (I definitely recall 3 days of irregular heartbeat but I was young and strong and it didn't bother me at all at the time - no symptoms at all - unlike when I got it later!). Definitely recall first symptomatic episode after that as being in 1999. Here we are in 2013 and my AF burden is still thankfully very low at 2 or 3 episodes per year - each an hour or two converted with 200mg Flec (I have since 2008 used Flec daily 50 or 75mg BID - I now use Diltiazem with it at 60mg BID just in case of any 1:1 flutter. I also use the Diltiazem in the hope that it may help me with tryng lower my way high IC Ca - as per 2010 Eatest that showed IC Ca of 7 as against range 3 to 5). These days I still have a glass or two of wine but not a bottle or two as so typically/daily was the case in my 30s and 40s. I eat very sensibly and nutritiously in the main but do have naughties in moderation on occasion.

Also as per my aforementioned 2010 Exatest, my IC Mg was VERY low at 30.7 (range 34-41 IIRC). After this I persuaded my GP (I'm in the UK) to administer twice-yearly 10 weekly IM Mg injections that really helped lower ectopy, cramps, twitches etc. But then my GP's practice partner intervened and threatened to refer the matter to the GMC as there was no hard evidence (in the UK) that Mg injections would help me.... LoL! Anyway, I've now just started taking daily half hour baths with a pint of MgCl, and am about to go privately to recommence the IM Mg injections. Maybe my familial predisposition towards AF is strongly linked with high IC Ca and low IC Mg??

Anyway, that's enough waffle from me! Wishing and hoping that we all do as well in battling this beast as fate and our own endeavours will allow (-:

Mike F
Re: Hi all and a few general comments
March 23, 2013 11:03AM
Mike,

I've noticed the same pessimism regarding AF on this forum. It's just started in the last few weeks, actually.

Like you, AF seems to run on my mother's side of the family. One of my mother's sisters probably had it for a long time, and that sister's son has had it since age 40 (he's around 65 now). I don't think my mother had it.

I think I might have had short episodes in my 20's or 30's, and had a week-long episode at 44 when I did a week-long bike ride in 100+ degree weather. I didn't have any more long episodes until age 50. I was diagnosed at age 51.

When I was diagnosed, I was put on Metoprolol, which I later learned can aggravate AFib if it's vagally mediated (and, indeed, that's what it seems to have happened). I'm now on daily Flecainide (plus 25 mg daily of Metoprolol to avoid 1:1 Aflutter, I considered a calcium-channel blocker to do that but learned that increases the chance of breast cancer in women). So far Flecainide is working, but as soon as it stops working I'm getting an ablation. I won't try any other AADs since most of them are more toxic than Flecainide (and often, when one stops working, the others won't work either).

I'm considering seriously trying to improve my diet but, like you, I also love to eat. It seems that the Eat to Live diet is the best bet for dietary improvements. It is a plant-based diet that is still low in starches. It seems to be working very well for Murray. The doctor who invented it claims following it will get you off all heart medication (although he didn't specifically mention AFib). I'll see how Murray does on it, and hopefully it will allow him to get off Tikosyn without needing an ablation. Since there seems to be no hope of a long-term AFib fix through medication or surgery, I might need to overhaul my diet in order to maintain my health.
March 23, 2013 01:29PM
Mike - We have discussed the genetic link to AF previously... and how that relates directly to Epigenetics or gene expression. There is much new science now that proves that genetic flaws or tendencies can be overcome by changing the Expression of the gene so that the negative manifestation is reversed.

You are undoubtedly on the right path in optimizing your magnesium however you have to do it... if the baths work, great...if they add in enough to increase functionality. Don't forget the triage is... in addition to magnesium.... the ratio of potassium to sodium that makes all the difference. Plus, tissue pH and another indicator that is surfacing is the relationship of iodine deficiency and the malfunction of the sodium-iodine symporters that are in every cell of the body. If they can't function, then downstream everything else suffers.. .just as in the discussion in CR 72 about the function of the sodium-potassium ion pumps and what that means for reversing arrhythmias. All work to increase the voltage or energy of the heart cells (especially) but having enough voltage overall to allow the body to function properly.

It all works together like a web or symphony. It's not just one thing, although until a magnesium defiency is reversed, that is a prime initial focus. Diet, lifestyle changes all great and all work together.

Here are a couple past posts... Lots of really good books on Epigenetics and Gene Expression... If you haven't read Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton or Genie in Your Genes, by Dawson Church... both PhD researchers with a wealth of knowledge, research and credentials... definitely important reads... as are the several books on Genomics by Jeff Bland, PhD... should you want to get into the science.

I also highly recommend Healing is Volage by Jerry Tennant, MD.

[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
March 24, 2013 08:55AM
Diane and jackie,

Many thanks for your replies - much appreciated. Diane, wise words. jackie - lots of valuable info as ever!

Regards,

Mike F
March 24, 2013 01:54PM
With the exception of terminal production of methane in my gut, I am indeed feeling pretty good and notice specifically that my heart seems to be somewhat "calmer". No skipped beats, etc. Could be coincidence, dont' know. My blood sugars have plummeted. My hypertension, I am sure is mitigated. I am dropping weight like a rock while eating like a piggie (fruits, veggies (cooked and raw), legumes galore, fish two or three times a week and a huge veggie ommelet once a week, etc.). Dr. Fuhrman's book is online for downloading if anyone has an interest in reading it. It is simple to follow - the shopping list is not large but one needs to shop twice a week for fresh veg and fruit.

I wonder if my innards are 'calmer' overall with less inflamation and am looking forward to seeing my CRP levels in April/May.

One can only hope to remain in NSR (on TIKOSYN or whatever it takes) until the state of the art progresses towards a solid 'cure'. My EP suggests that I would be well advised to remain on TIKOSYN as long as it works and I tolerate it well. Then consider ablation if necessary.

We are having a TIKOSYN shortage here in Ontario at the moment and I may be forced off of it in three weeks time. Then we will see if 1.5 years in NSR have done anything for me. I doubt it. Will have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I maintain my supplements and in especially Potassium which seems to be MY key.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login