Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Genetic Expression affects everyone

Posted by Jackie 
Genetic Expression affects everyone
February 20, 2013 07:57PM
We often talk about the fact that as explained by Bruce Lipton in The New Biology, wherein he says," we no longer have to be held hostage to our genetic makup."

The following notes from a 2006 teleconference interview with Jorge Flechas, MD, MPH (pronounced George) discussing Iodine Deficiency and how lack of iodine contributes to various adverse health conditions. Among the many ailments that Dr. Flechas associates with iodine deficiency… arrhythmias are included in the list. [see notes at the end] We note that some people inherit the Afib tendency which can relate to gene flaws which allow the expression of the gene that may prevent efficient absorption or use of magnesium, for one example.

The explanation of preventing gene expression that Dr. Flechas offers is worth noting because when we have known inherited tendencies, it makes sense to 'head them off at the pass' to either prevent manifestation or correct or improve that already malfunctioning.

The following quotes by Dr. Flechas help explain the concept of Gene Expression…and reminds us that we have control over whether or not we actually develop or manifest in our body, that which is in our genetic ancestry.

….”The gene for autoimmunity sits on chromosomes X in female predominant autoimmunity…. i.e., lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune thyroiditis, etc. There is a concept in medicine called Gene Silencing. Consider fetal hemoglobin. The fetus makes hemoglobin that is unique to the fetus. Once your are born, the gene that makes fetal hemoglobin must be silenced so that the baby can start making ‘adult’ (not fetal) hemoglobin.

The way you silence a gene is by adding a methyl group which is a one carbon atom with three hydrogens to the gene and then that in turn, (when it comes time for RNA transcriptase to transcribe that particular part of the DNA). when it sees how these methylated carbon groups on the gene such as the fetal hemoglobin gene, that it will not follow the instructions that are on that particular segment of the DNA.

Another concept… called Alzheimer’s. You may have a mother who has Alzheimer’s and you therefore have the gene for Alzheimer’s. Of interest is that when you were born, the gene for Alzheimer’s disease was methylated.(the methyl groups were on the gene) but as we age, we have less and less methylation of our DNA at which point, genes that should not be awake are awakened and then we have the manifestation of an illness…in this case, Alzheimer’s..

[This is called Gene Expression].

If you Google Methylation of DNA Gene Silencing and Alzheimer’s you’ll see that Alzheimer’s is a problem of lack of methylating the gene for Alzheimer’s and therefore the manifestation of the illness due to the fact that you did not “silence” the gene with the use of these methyl groups.

The same is true for breast cancer. There is 122 genes discovered that cause breast cancer. And it is the lack of methylation of these genes that allows the genes to manifest themselves which produces the breast cancer. Google the same thing… and studies pop up that show the absence of methylation the breast cancer genes in the presence of the illness.

The same thing can be said for colon cancer, autoimmune thyroiditis…whether it be Hashimotos thyroiditis, or Graves, hyperactivity of the thyroid. In both illnesses, there is lack of methylation of the autoimmune gene on the X chromosome and the absence of that methylation allows for the presence of the illness to manifest itself. [Gene Expression]

We methylate our Hashimotos’s and Grave’s Disease patients and we watch the TPO antibodies go down almost by half within a 30-day period from the time they start taking methyl groups.

Methyl groups are found in Lecithin which has approx. 20% choline and there is a product in spinach called Trimethylglycine (TMG) – the glycine amino acid with three methyl groups attached to it. One cup of cooked spinach contains approximately 1,000 mg of TMG. Taking TMG or choline helps provide methyl groups so the body can use to methylate the DNA. [or prevent undesirable Gene Expression].

One of the easiest tests to check for methylation is measurement of the creatine blood level. Not creatinine (as in kidney function test). It turns out that 70% of all the methyl groups in the human body are used to make creatine. If you find a patient with zero creatine or low levels like .1 or .2 – that will also tell you that this person is in trouble as far as methylation is concerned.

Before you start giving them lots of methyl groups to try to enhance methylation, start them on creatine monohydrate – 5,000 mg daily. By loading the body with creatine, you keep the body from taking all of the methyl groups and converting those into creatine so the methyl groups can go and be used for other reasons…one of which is to methylate DNA.”
[End of notes on DNA methylation.]

I will be posting separately the link to a report on the Iodine deficiency/AF connection that is important reading.

Jackie

Jorge D. Flechas, M.D., M.P.H., is the Medical Director of Flechas Family Practice in Hendersonville, N.C., specializing in hormonal therapy for treatment of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) since the late 1980s. He also specializes in Iodine Therapy for Hypothyroidism and Fibrocystic Breast Disease. bio-identical hormone replacement for both men and women, and diagnosis and treatment of cardiac-related issues such as coronary artery disease, artherosclerosis, and hypertension.

Dr. Flechas with the help of Dr. Guy Abraham, GYN/Endocrinologist from Torrance, California has been able to develop an iodine testing laboratory. Dr. Flechas is now the Director of that laboratory. Iodine deficiency can now be measured using the Iodine Loading Test. Kits for doing this testing can be ordered from 1-877-900-5556. The test is available through FFP Laboratories. Dr. Flechas can be reached at his Flechas Family Practice in Henderson, North Carolina by phone 828-684-3233, fax 828-684-3253. and website www.helpmythyroid.com. Articles concerning iodine deficiency have been published and are available via his website.

Flechas considers a range of iodine related issues: fibrocystic breasts, hypothyroidism, ovarian cysts, attention-deficit disorder, pregnancy, IQ, senility, iodine history, bromide, fluoride, obesity, depression, constipation, detoxing (from bromide, fluoride, arsenic, mercury, lead, aluminum), cancer (prostate, thyroid, breast), diabetes (blood sugar control), receptors (hormones, neurotransmitters), testosterone, itching, sweating, histidine and histamine, functions of iodine, heart disease (especially arrhythmias, abnormal heart beats), iodine doses.

Numerous YouTube and Mp3 presentations Dr. Flechas are available online and are highly informative.
Here’s one. [iodine4health.com]

Methylation
In years past, we have discussed the importance of methylation and referenced the pioneering work in this area by Kilmer S. McCulley MD and his book, The Homocysteine Revolution and the book describing that research by Methyl Magic- Methylation Equals Life by Craig Cooney, PhD

Jackie
Re: Genetic Expression affects everyone
February 22, 2013 01:54PM
Jackie,
Some of the implications of this article are fascinating, with regard not only to Afib, but to Alzheimers, breast cancer, and numerous other conditions. I have been taking daily Lecithin (seemed to terminate my ectopics), as well as TMG (to reduce homocysteine), for many years, and intend to try adding in some Creatine Monohydrate as well, as will my wife, who is 3 years post surgery for early breast cancer.

Until your post, I was unaware of the relationship between methylation and gene-expression, and your work in bringing this whole area into the discussion suggests an entire new area for the rest of us to investigate, as we try to find those elusive answers that may benefit ourselves and our loved ones.
February 22, 2013 02:35PM
srach1943 - Thank you for the acknowledgement Yes, the science is solid and dramatic regarding our ability to influence gene expression. So few people are aware or take the time to delve into it, but it's an invaluable clue to managing our health destiny.

We had many earlier discussions on methylation which can probably be located by using the search feature (thanks to Erling). There are other posts mentioning on gene expression writings by Bruce Lipton which should also be located. The website of Garry F. Gordon, MD, DO, MD (H) www.gordonresearch.com gives a huge amount of insight to managing gene expression. He's one of the early pioneers and crusaders for this approach to longevity and always tells his story of managing his 'broken genes' with nutritional supplements.

This Genetic Expression thread was an offshoot of a discussion in another thread on thyroid and iodine deficiency issues and the genetic tendency to manifest in the presence of various deficiencies....which now brings more insight to the importance of iodine in all cells of the body to prevent and manage hormonal imbalances and many other illnesses not typically traced to something so elemental as an iodine deficiency. Unfortunately.

My research time as of late has exposed me to a very large quantity of iodine-deficiency-related info and breast cancer is included. I'd be glad to share with you and your wife. Just click on my name at the top of the post and that will direct you to my email.

Jackie
February 24, 2013 02:36PM
Dear Jackie - Thank you for cogent discussions of advances in epi-genetics. I have a walk partner who thinks the genetic influence is 90% but I insist it is 40%. What can I tell him to get him off this fatalistic attitude? Don't a lot of patients justify bad diet, no exercise by thinking genes are set at birth?
Anonymous User
February 25, 2013 10:52PM
Our DNA contain the blueprint for who we are and who we will become--our height, eye color, cats don't have puppies and dogs don't have kittens.

Bruce Lipton says illness can be cured by mere belief, says thoughts can cure cancer, yup. I remember a book called "Why people don't heal and why they can" by Caroline Myss, which had a similar theme, I read the book, no big deal. Lipton sells a jug for $144. that has a propeler inside to purify water, I am not buying it.

Some scientists are blaming DNA methylation for turning off genes that suppress cancer cells which makes the cancer grow and get out of hand more quickly. DNA methylation is commonly associated with gene silencing--doesn't change the code, affects how it is used.

L

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 11:37PM by Elizabeth H..
February 26, 2013 10:46AM
James - yes they do. It's far easier to say, 'it's genetic' and therefore no matter what I do, it won't change. For some, it's difficult to understand the concept of Epigenetics... and this extends to physicians as well. I'm digging out some info for you... give me some time. I've involved in too many projects at the moment and am trying to juggle 'efficiently'... I'll respond again soon. Thanks for your interest. This is hugely important for everyone.

Jackie
February 27, 2013 04:23PM
For readers who have emailed me about this recent Genetic Expression and Methylation post asking for more reading references, here are links to Erling’s previous contributions on Methylation and my earlier Genetics and AF post in 2012 followed by reference list of books written by highly-credentialed and respected professionals who discuss the importance of and effects on DNA by methylation and Epigenetics which point the way to controlling our health destiny.

Moreover this topic is something that (unless we are consulting with those who practice functional medicine), we are unlikely to receive testing to assess our methylation status since they are not typically considered standard or routine. I’ve mentioned previously that many labs are currently are offering Metabolic Profile type testing assessments that zero-in on how we metabolize the food we consume and show imbalances that exist. These are especially useful for those with arrhythmias. Most importantly, if AF tends to run in one’s family, all the more reason to learn what needs to be enhanced or toned down.

Healthy is wealthy!
Jackie

Search Messages: 'Introduction to 'epigenetics' and 'methylation' - All Forums, All Dates, Exact Phrase - 16 results: [www.afibbers.org]
1,match_type=PHRASE,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,match_threads=0

Introduction to 'epigenetics' and 'methylation' Sept. 18, 2010
[www.afibbers.org]

Genetics and AF ( May 20, 2012)
[www.afibbers.org]

Classics on Methylation:

The Homocysteine Revolution – Kilmer S. McCully, MD
Methyl Magic – Craig Cooney, PhD

Interview with Kilmer S. McCully by Richard Passwater, PhD
[www.drpasswater.com]

Epigenetics

Biology of Belief – Bruce H. Lipton, PhD

Genie in Your Genes, Dawson Church, PhD

Genetic Nutritioneering
Jeffrey S. Bland, PhD, FACN, CNS

Transcend – 9 Steps to Living Well Forever
Ray Kurzweil, PhD and Terry Grossman, MD

In the last post link dated 2012, I’ve brought it forward and highlighted the comments by Drs Gordon and Bland for emphasis… but be sure to get into the other referenced links as well. It’s time well spent.

Jackie
Genetics and AF
May 20, 2012
We often see posts indicating that afibbers are told the cause of their afib is genetic.

As stated in a Dec. ‘11 post, the missing portion of that statement is: “While some individuals may have a genetic or familial tendency toward developing atrial fibrillation, the world now knows that by understanding Epigenetics, we are no longer held hostage to a genetic link since we are able to control or influence genetic expression. Expression is the operative word. A flaw may be the inability of that body to perform a specific metabolic function … such as absorb and metabolize magnesium efficiently or methlate properly which sets the stage for afib. These flaws are modifiable once recognized. Influencing factors include lifestyle, diet and environment.

Through nutritional and other interventions, we have have strong influence over the Expression The concept isn’t new but is a major breakthrough from conventional thinking that “our genes are our destiny.” Success stories abound. Crusading actively to enlighten patients and doctors is Garry Gordon, MD, who is living proof that one can over-ride gene flaws. No longer are we victims of our genetics, thanks to Epigenetics.

In a book written specifically for non-scientists to understand the principles of our ability to modify inherited traits, biochemist and leader in the field of functional medicine, Jeffrey S. Bland, PhD wrote Genetic Nutritioneering back in 1999. He explains how food and nutrients improve gene expression and how we can reprogram our genes…just as Garry Gordon demonstrates his own personal success story.

Correcting gene flaws isn’t just a concept for afib….there are many familial tendencies that can be reversed or prevented from occurring in the first place. The most important thought for everyone is when “genetics as a cause” is mentioned, is to start thinking, "what can I learn about reversing the tendency for that gene flaw expression?" We don’t have to throw up our hands and give in to “the sentence” of just living with it. We can actively participate to reverse or alter the course ahead.

As exemplified by the many success stories in CR 61 where afibbers have successfully reversed their AF trend, we are living proof that diligence and attentiveness can pay big dividends.

Hold in your mind the following comments on Epigenetics by Dr. Gordon. This is specific to cancer, but emphasizes the concept of Epigenetics.

Jackie

Dear Readers:
Please read this carefully; Epigenetics is understandable. Those who advise patients with BRCA 1 or 2 issues are one day going to wake up and realize that removing breasts and ovaries because of BRCA test results is not state of the art medicine, it is medieval medicine.

The role of Epigenetics in health and disease is becoming ever clearer, and I firmly believe this field of study will eventually supplant the current medical paradigm. The conventional belief has been that genes controlled their own expression and were therefore the direct cause of certain diseases. This laid the groundwork for the idea that your genes predetermined your health.

But genes are in fact NOT self-regulating. Having "bad genes," does not at all mean you're doomed to suffer some inevitable fate like cancer!

Genes are merely blueprints, and these blueprints are activated and controlled by something else entirely, namely their environment. This environmental information, which includes diet, toxic exposures, as well as thoughts and emotions, and more, can create more than 30,000 different variations from each blueprint, allowing for an astounding amount of leeway in modifying the expression or "read-out" of each gene. As a result of these findings, we're now finally seeing science alter its course to investigate the power of optimal nutrition to improve health and prevent chronic disease from occurring in the first place

I hope all of you become more interested in OPTIMIZING ENVIRONMENT. For example, since that means diet and exercise, learn about my M.I.C.E. (magnetically induced cellular Exercise) concept that lowers cancer risk through autophagy.

Also the 72 gene panel I am doing on my patients in Australia with a company called SMART DNA finds the genes that nutrition can optimize to really offer advanced dietary supplement assistance to anyone looking for optimizing their environment so that the genes for their parents are not expressed in their bodies.

The information in this link will make you understand why Kobayashi’s program eliminated clinical (we all have subclinical all the time) cancer for 10 years for nearly 10,000 patients no matter what the family history was or the gene tests showed.

Sincerely,
Dr. Garry F. Gordon, MD, DO, MD(H)
President, Gordon Research Institute
www.gordonresearch.com

Gene Expression and Epigenetics have been discussed frequently in other posts with mention observations by Bruce Lipton, PhD (Biology of Belief) and Dawson Church, PhD (Genie in Your Genes), two important books of many reading resources.

Jeffrey S. Bland, PhD, FACN, CNS
Genetic Nutritioneering
© 1999

Video clip on Epigenomics….A Tale of Two Mice
[www.pbs.org]

Conference Room 61 [www.afibbers.org]

[Some links in this reproduction aren't 'hot' so you'll have to go to Genes and AF post and click there for the activated hyperlinks]

LarryG
Re: Genetics and AF
May 20, 2012 09:58AM
Jackie -- You're a fabulous resource!

Thanks for sharing all the info you post and for your amazing intellectual curiosity.

Sincerely,

/L

Elizabeth
May 20, 2012 11:55AM
I agree we may not be doomed to acquire the same disease as our parents, due to a good diet etc. However, my father had Graves disease in his early thirties, the doctors operated to remove his thyroid and my father died, (this was in the 1930s ), he wouldn't have died today, doctors would have performed a tracteomy, seems like they should have known to do it then, but didn't. Anyway, I have pretty much eaten well, we always had a garden, so we had fresh vegetables, but I got Graves disease in my 50s, the same disease as my father. I also sometimes get aura migraines, which my mother and grandmother got as well, I get Afib, my mother went into permanent Afib in her 80s, my aunt and cousin also have Afib. I get Afib once in a while, probably due to my uptake of Magnesium, also my cooking everything from scratch and from what I grow. Nevertheless, I have gotten the same maladies as my father and mother. Also, my grandaughter gets migraines once in a while and my daughter just got an aura migraine, she has been free of them all of her life, but it happened just a week ago, she eats very well, she eats a lot of salads, vegs., fruit and lots of seafood. I have seen all kinds of theories come and go throughout my life, so, I am sceptical.

May 20, 2012 01:37PM
Let me add my 1995 article Faulty Genes: What You Can Do to this discussion. You can find it here: [www.yourhealthbase.com]

Hans

Anonymous User
May 20, 2012 02:56PM
Hans, your article is way out of date. True, the human genome project anticipated over 120,000 genes, but found fewer than 25,000, throwing out the dogma that 1 gene codes for 1 protein, as there are more than 100.000 proteins comprising the human body*. Epigenetics (control above the genes) accounts for the vast number of variations, and that control is by the cell membrane via the cells' environment, not the nuclear chromosomes.

Erling.

*e.g. Penisi, E "A Low Number Wins the GeneSweep Pool" Science 300: 1484, and "Gene Counters Struggle to Get the Right Answer" Science 301: 1040-1041

Hans Larsen
May 20, 2012 03:30PM
Erling,

Of course it is out of date. It was written in 1995!! I posted it to show that the idea that we can control our gene expression through diet and supplements is nothing new.
Hans

May 20, 2012 04:11PM
Hans,

My point - and I presume Jackie's - which has been presented many times, is that our control over "gene expression" goes far beyond diet and supplements, and includes the totality of "energy medicine".

Erling

See Introduction to 'epigenetics' and 'methylation' [www.afibbers.net]

Jackie
May 21, 2012 07:02AM
Liz - Probably nothing I can offer will help you be less skeptical about the fact that it has long been known and accepted that we can modify or control many common genetic expressions that can cause disease or ill health. Dr. Bland is one of the early pioneers but by no means the only one who observes success with modifying gene expression to change health or disease patterns with food and lifestyle modifications. There are now legions of well-known and respected practitioners of Functional Medicine reporting successes which not only validates the theory but allows people to live longer, healthier lives as a result. Most likely, though, afibbers treated by conventional medicine will not be guided in this direction by their physicians.

From Dr. Bland’s chapter, How Your Diet Communicates with Your Genes, written 14 years ago, he says,
“In the past, we did not understand our genes and how the expressions of their characteristics
could be influenced by environment and diet. This is no longer the case. Now we know that
eventually, thousands of substances in foods impact the genes in such a way as to either promote
or suppress specific expressions. Your phenotype, therefore, is the result of your dietary history and
the experiences you have had throughout your life.

Once again, it is important to point out that not all genetic characteristics are inducible and capable
of modifications in the phenotype by your dietary habits. As stated earlier, certain genetic characteristics
are constitutionalized or hard-wired and their expression cannot be modified. Many genetic characteristics
are inducible, however, and their expression can be modified by the way genes are treated with dietary factors, lifestyle and environmental experiences. These characteristics are the foundation of the Genetic Nutritioneering program. Fortunately, most of the characteristics that determine health and vitality after mid-life are related to the inducible or modifiable genetic factors and not the hard-wired or constitutional factors. In fact, gerontologist now state that 75 percent of an individual’s health after age 40 is dependent upon what the person has done to his or her genes, and not to the genes themselves."

In a more recent publication (2009), TRANSCEND, Nine steps to Living Well Forever, authors Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman, MD observe:

"In the past few years, the new field of Epigenetics has evolved. Epigenetics looks at how environmental factors such as Your lifestyle can change how your genes are expressed… whether these genes or tendencies, become manifest as health or disease. In fact, it is now believed that your lifestyle choices are 80 percent of the reason you’ll get a given disease, while your genes contribute only 20 percent of the risk.

We can use the lifestyle choices we make every day—the food we eat and the supplements we choose to take, for example – to affect and modulate these tendencies. Making proper lifestyle choices plays a fundamental role in your personal wellness program and we refer to doing so as “reprogramming your biochemistry.”

Jackie

Elizabeth H.
May 21, 2012 11:53AM
Sorry:

Our genes determine how we look, probably our intelligence. I have eaten much, much better than my mother, she didn't take any vitamins, ate potatoes everyday, ate white bread, very little fruits and vegetbles. I have never eaten that way, I don't eat potatoes, white breads, eat lots of vegetables and fruit, yet I still got AF and the aura migraines. I have lived it, not reading about it in textbooks, so you bet I am skeptical. Aura migraines usually happen because of a trigger, funny thing, I have found that certain vitamins will trigger them, I havn't found food to trigger my AF nor does eating or not eating certain foods lead to Graves disease, now that could happen because of some kind of an emotional happening as I did get my Graves disease about 2 years after the death of my son. The fact remains we have a bent for certain diseases because of our genetic makeup, sometimes we can escape it because of a better lifestyle but that is not a given.

Liz
March 03, 2013 05:57PM
Keep in mind that you get genes from both a parents & grandparents, some dominant, some recessive. I far as I can tell from your discussion, it does NOT override envionment, diet, toxins. Stress is an important determinant controlling the release of cortisol, the "fight or flight" hormone. Stress will age you. The author of "Maximum Life Span" died at age 79 of ALS despite being a doctor and on a low calorie diet to extend his years. I thought I was doing everything possible for my health but I likely slacked off after 25 doctor free years. There is no guarantee of results. That is why doctors speak in terms of risk not certainty.
March 05, 2013 03:30PM
James - I have more to say... (later) about not over-riding the genetic tendency... as that's exactly what it can do... that's the Epi part of Epigenetics.

Lots of science backing that up with brilliant examples of results. A low-calorie diet may exclude many of the critical nutrients required to prevent the gene expression... Sometimes, it can be as simplistic as lack of stomach acid and then those downstream consequences; and, as mentioned earlier one example might be the ability to methylate as one ages which is a HUGE factor that is often overlooked if not practicing 'functional or restorative' medicine. The inability to methylate properly is found to be linked to Alzheimer's, ALS and other neurodegenerative conditions. It's all interconnected when examining the functionality of one's Web of Life and that's where the current medical model fails because it looks at individual ailments as a single entity ...not the core cause or collective contributions...

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login