Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Paradigm Shift - The End of "Normal Science" --Understanding Function in Nutrition, Health and Disease.

Posted by Jackie 
Today when I visited my Functional Medicine MDs office for my semi-annual, routine blood draw, I was reminded of the powerful and significant contribution that Mark Hyman, MD, offered in a 2004 article (Alternative Therapies ) and his many other endeavors. We should be thankful for brilliant and dedicated people such as Dr. Hyman whose own personal healing story is testimony to his commitment to enlightening others about the importance of and successes in nutritional healing.

Start here
At his website, Dr. Hyman says:
WHAT FOLLOWS IS AN ARTICLE I wrote a few years ago that reviews the intellectual history of the pioneers in nutrition and the fathers of functional medicine. These revolutionary thinkers and scientists are responsible for re-framing our entire notion of nutrition and vitamin and mineral therapy away from its once limited use in the treatment of vitamin-deficiency diseases, to the breakthroughs of nutrigenomics and the use of these therapies as a novel way to treat long-latency deficiency diseases. In addition, I have included a few quotes used in my article that come from papers that have informed and inspired me.

I hope you enjoy this journey through history and the thinking of visionaries including Linus Pauling, Roger Williams, Bruce Ames and Robert Heaney (and that your thinking is changed as a beneficial side-effect.)

[drhyman.com]

Then, proceed to the article on the Editorial page of Alternative Therapies. Worth reading.

Paradigm Shift – The End of “Normal Science” in Medicine—Understanding Function in Nutrition, Health and Disease.
[drhyman.com]

The article opens with a famous quote:

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and
thinking what nobody has thought.”

—Albert Szent Gyorgyi, 1937 Nobel Laureate in Physiology and Medicine,
the scientist who isolated vitamin C.

Jackie
Jackie, The End of "Normal Science in Medicine" is a welcome title. The article is already 8 years old and much has happened since then, especially in the science of "epigenetics". Quoting from Dr. Hyman:

"The study of nutrigenomics is leading medicine in a radical transformation akin to the change in our conception of the universe, time and space that occurred when the deficiencies of Newtonian physics were illuminated by quantum physics.
It is an era where genetic predisposition replaces Mendelian genetic determinism, where biochemical individuality replaces biochemical homogeneity, where the importance of the biological terrain or internal milieu exceeds that of the external invader. However, acceptance of the change, seeing what is right in front of us is difficult. As RD Laing states in
The Voice of Experience:

“Our most self validating premises are the most ingrained, our hardest programs are the most self validating, our way of looking is not easily disturbed by what it sees, let alone by what it cannot see.”

WHAT IS “NORMAL SCIENCE”?

“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”
—Max Planck
=================================
Paraphrasing Dr. Hyman, The study of epigenetics is leading medicine in a radical transformation akin to the change in our conception of the universe, time and space that occurred when the deficiencies of Newtonian physics were illuminated by quantum physics. It is an era where epigenetic cotrol replaces genetic determinism

The quantum revolution in medical science is well underway and you can hear the "kicking and screaming",*

Erling..

* 'Quantum' cell biologist Bruce Lipton in The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter, & Miracles (2011) [www.amazon.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 06:35PM by Erling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login